Motorhome v air & hotels

Old December 3rd, 2007, 04:04 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Default Motorhome v air & hotels

Has anyone travelled around the USA and Canada, in a motorhome? Would
you say it was better than travelling between places, by air/train/
coach and staying in hotels? Is it safe to travel by motorhome on
your own?
Old December 3rd, 2007, 04:29 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jochen Kriegerowski[_2_]

schrieb

Has anyone travelled around the USA and Canada, in a motorhome? Would
you say it was better than travelling between places, by air/train/
coach and staying in hotels? Is it safe to travel by motorhome on
your own?

Before I had a driver's license (30 years ago) I traveled in Canada by
Coach
(Greyhound), but it's not very convenient: You are too dependant on the
routes and timetables, and you only see towns and cities, not the wilder-
ness.
That said, I think a motorhome is better (and safe too!), since you are far
more flexible, can go whenever you like wherever you like.

But I really don't like camping, so I always rent a normal car and stay in
motels. Flexible and convenient. And if you are on your own, it is way
cheaper than a motorhome too.

Jochen

Old December 3rd, 2007, 06:58 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Would you say it was better than travelling between places,
by air/train/ coach and staying in hotels?

Here's a list of pluses and minuses of recreational vehicles from
Wikipedia:

"Advantages of RVs include not having to move one's things in and
out of motel rooms, not having to rent multiple motel rooms, sleeping
in
a bed one is comfortable with. Also, preparing food oneself saves
money compared to eating in restaurants, and better meets any dietary
restrictions or preferences. At the same time, an RV provides more
organized living space and better protection from the weather than a
tent.

"Disadvantages of RVs include low fuel economy..., lack of maid
service...,
and the challenge of driving or towing larger RV models...."

One thing to consider is your destinations. If you're going to be
spending a lot of time in cities, a large RV may be a hassle. But if
you're going to be mostly visiting things like national parks, RVs
make a lot more sense.

James

Old December 4th, 2007, 03:46 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Calif Bill

wrote in message
[...]

Well said. In the late 1980's I bought a MH to travel the country during a
sabbatical from work. Was the best way with 2 kids and 2 months time.
Towed a VW Rabbit as a get around car. Very handy in that you did not have
to worry about finding a motel at the end of the day in a popular place.
Cost wise, may have been cheaper as we saved on eating out for all meals.
RV park was cheaper than a motel, and we parked for free in some places. If
you are just going to 1 or 2 large metropolitan areas, go the hotel route.
If a long trip and more than 1 person, go for an RV. For 1 or 2 you can get
a small 20-21' Class C camper which is similar to a long bed pickup in size.
I have a slide in truck camper on a short bed crew cab Chevy shortbed PU.
Works well for the wife and I when we go on camping trips and worked for us
last year for a 7 week driving trip to Alaska. Only stayed in hotels
nights. That would also work for a trip around the country with the benifit
of not having to tow a sightseeing vehicle. My camper is a PalominoRV B-800
camper which has a popup top, so get decent milage while going down the
road. My truck is a 2004 diesel and averaged 15 mpg for the 8200 mile AK
trip.

Old December 4th, 2007, 05:11 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
tim \(not at home\)

wrote in message
Would you say it was better than travelling between places,
by air/train/ coach and staying in hotels?

Here's a list of pluses and minuses of recreational vehicles from
Wikipedia:

"Advantages of RVs include not having to move one's things in and
out of motel rooms, not having to rent multiple motel rooms, sleeping
in
a bed one is comfortable with.

It might be the same bed every night, but I'll be very surprised if it is
more comfortable than the average motel bed. The Motel bed will usually be
a sprung mattress. Whilst I've never slept in an RV, my guess is the beds
are foam mattress on a flat board. I find the latter most uncomfortable
after the second night. I look forward to being proved wrong.

Also, preparing food oneself saves
money compared to eating in restaurants, and better meets any dietary
restrictions or preferences. At the same time, an RV provides more
organized living space and better protection from the weather than a
tent.

"Disadvantages of RVs include low fuel economy..., lack of maid
service...,
and the challenge of driving or towing larger RV models...."

and the need to find overnight parking in an RV park, which in some places
are harder to find than Motels (and yes, in some places easier)

One thing to consider is your destinations. If you're going to be
spending a lot of time in cities, a large RV may be a hassle. But if
you're going to be mostly visiting things like national parks, RVs
make a lot more sense.

The latter are still easily visited by car/motel, unless you want to sleep
in the park each night.

tim

Old December 4th, 2007, 05:34 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jochen Kriegerowski[_2_]

"tim (not at home)" schrieb

It might be the same bed every night, but I'll be very surprised
if it is more comfortable than the average motel bed.

No, probably not - and I'm not keen to find out ;-)
And don't forget to add a spacious bathroom on the 'pro
motel-list', which doesn' need a hook-up or regular dumping
of waste water...

Also, preparing food oneself saves

I don't remember seeing a motel room without at least a fridge and
microwave, and many have a kitchenette (the latter being clearly
written on the roadside signs so that you know where to find them)
so preparing your own food is no problem in motels either.

But RVs are probably a matter of "love them or hate them".
I simply don't love them g,d&r

Jochen
Old December 4th, 2007, 05:37 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 18:11:43 +0100, "tim \(not at home\)"
wrote:

wrote in message
Would you say it was better than travelling between places,
by air/train/ coach and staying in hotels?

Here's a list of pluses and minuses of recreational vehicles from
Wikipedia:

"Advantages of RVs include not having to move one's things in and
out of motel rooms, not having to rent multiple motel rooms, sleeping
in
a bed one is comfortable with.

It might be the same bed every night, but I'll be very surprised if it is
more comfortable than the average motel bed. The Motel bed will usually be
a sprung mattress. Whilst I've never slept in an RV, my guess is the beds
are foam mattress on a flat board. I find the latter most uncomfortable
after the second night. I look forward to being proved wrong.

"Proved" isn't the right word; it's a personal preference.
Personally I find foam on a flat board more comfortable than a
sprung mattress.

[...]

and the need to find overnight parking in an RV park, which in some places
are harder to find than Motels (and yes, in some places easier)

Walmarts allow overnight RV parking, but the manager should be
advised of your presence.

One thing to consider is your destinations. If you're going to be
spending a lot of time in cities, a large RV may be a hassle. But if
you're going to be mostly visiting things like national parks, RVs
make a lot more sense.

The latter are still easily visited by car/motel, unless you want to sleep
in the park each night.

That depends on the national park. For instance, there are no
motels convenient to Sunset Crater/Wupatki National Monuments.
And, unless you have made reservations a year or so in advance,
you are unlikely to get a room in any of the the hotels within
Grand Canyon, Yosemite, or Death Valley National Parks. The last,
in particular, is very lacking in convenient lodging outside the
park.

Old December 4th, 2007, 05:43 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 18:34:53 +0100, "Jochen Kriegerowski"
wrote:

"tim (not at home)" schrieb

Also, preparing food oneself saves

I don't remember seeing a motel room without at least a fridge and
microwave, and many have a kitchenette

I've seen many, many in the USA that don't, including some of the
more ubiquitous ones, like Motel 6.

(the latter being clearly
written on the roadside signs so that you know where to find them)

That's usually true.

so preparing your own food is no problem in motels either.

Part of the problem with using motel cooking facilities is food
storage, since you will be on the road again in a day or two.
Either you must carry a lareg ice chest in your car or you must
buy your supplies in small, less economic quantities.

But RVs are probably a matter of "love them or hate them".
I simply don't love them g,d&r

Chacun a son gout.

Just think, with an RV you can enjoy the cameraderie of Slab
City, California: http://www.slabcity.org/

Old December 4th, 2007, 06:16 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jochen Kriegerowski[_2_]

"Hatunen" schrieb

I've seen many, many in the USA that don't, including some of the
more ubiquitous ones, like Motel 6.

Maybe - I'm only familiar with the situation in Canada and thought
it would be more or less the same in the US.

Part of the problem with using motel cooking facilities is food
storage, since you will be on the road again in a day or two.
Either you must carry a lareg ice chest in your car or you must
buy your supplies in small, less economic quantities.

Oh, right, that's true. You shouldn't buy large quantities of
food that needs refrigeration. But then, I travel alone, so I
wouldn't want to buy cheaper 'family size' packages anyway:
I don't want to eat the same meals throughout my vacation g

Just think, with an RV you can enjoy the cameraderie of Slab
City, California: http://www.slabcity.org/

Well, ehmmm, "Chacun a son gout", as you said ;-)

Jochen