Florida without a car

Old December 28th, 2007, 08:58 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
GeorgeE

Default Florida without a car

"Rog'" wrote in message
. ..
"GeorgeE" wrote:
Thank you. We did day trip to the Everglades last time but would
now like to see more of the Everglades from Shark Valley or
Everglades City. My guide book gives the impression that without
a car one would be a virtual prisoner in the Tampa area but
presumably tour companies must offer a pick up service from hotels
to attractions. When we went to Orlando our hotel ran a shuttle
service to all the attractions. I had not considered St Augustine....
seems a good idea.

Tampa Bay Visitors Information Center, across from Busch Gardens
( www.hometown.aol.com/tpabayinfoctr/ ) is recommended by
travel website, Frommer (www.frommer.com) for bus tours in the
Tampa area. Tampa also has a public transit system that will take
you to most attractions. See: http://www.hartline.org/

But if the choice is between Tampa or St. Augustine, I'd go with
St. Augustine, as being a more walkable, pleasant city.

I forgot to quote from Frommers Florida 2008..." Like most other Florida
destinations, it's virtually impossible to see Tampa's major sites and enjoy
it's best restaurants without a car"
Derek.

Old December 28th, 2007, 10:18 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Rog'

"GeorgeE" wrote:
I forgot to quote from Frommers Florida 2008..." Like most other
Florida destinations, it's virtually impossible to see Tampa's major
sites and enjoy it's best restaurants without a car"

I think that this is true about most major Florida metropolitan areas.
If public transit to cumbersome and hire a car, then taxis are the best
alternative. Most hotels will arrange one for you.

Old December 28th, 2007, 11:32 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
GeorgeE

"Rog'" wrote in message
. ..
"GeorgeE" wrote:
I forgot to quote from Frommers Florida 2008..." Like most other
Florida destinations, it's virtually impossible to see Tampa's major
sites and enjoy it's best restaurants without a car"

I think that this is true about most major Florida metropolitan areas.
If public transit to cumbersome and hire a car, then taxis are the best
alternative. Most hotels will arrange one for you.

Last time in Florida we waited at a bus stop in Coral Gables. There was not
a timetable at the stop. I went into a bank and asked a cashier if she knew
when they ran. The usual American reply, 'Gee, I've not been on a bus in 35
years'
I have been round the world... America/Canada eight times, Mexico, Russia,
The Gulf States, Hong Kong, China three times, Central Africa, North Africa,
Australia, NZ and all of Europe and I never have got round to learning to
drive and very seldom using a taxi.
Using public transport (where it exists) gives you the chance to meet the
people of the country and in Baltimore foiling the local pickpockets on the
bus to Pimlico on Preakness day .
Derek.