TSA OK's new locks for luggage

Old November 13th, 2003, 01:36 AM
Mike Cordelli

Default TSA OK's new locks for luggage

Brookstone is the first to sell them, others will be sure to follow. They
are combination locks, but if further inspection is needed, according to the
press releases over at http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/031112/new002_1.html
"they use a special, secure system to unlock the Easy Check lock and then
re-lock it once the inspection is complete".

Not sure if I believe only the TSA will figure out how to open them, but
it's a great idea.Pack of two for $20.

On the Brookstone website (just search for luggage lock if you can't handle
long URL's)

http://www.brookstone.com/shop/produ...luggage%20lock

Old November 13th, 2003, 01:57 AM
PTRAVEL

"Mike Cordelli" wrote in message
news
Brookstone is the first to sell them, others will be sure to follow. They
are combination locks, but if further inspection is needed, according to
the
press releases over at http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/031112/new002_1.html
"they use a special, secure system to unlock the Easy Check lock and then
re-lock it once the inspection is complete".

It's called a "key." I just bought four of them from Brookstone. $20 for
two, and, though they're pretty heavy, they're rather cheesy and shaky.
However, they're still better than having your locks clipped with no
security at all. We're going to Europe, so I ran out and got 'em as soon as
I heard about them.

Not sure if I believe only the TSA will figure out how to open them, but
it's a great idea.Pack of two for $20.

On the Brookstone website (just search for luggage lock if you can't

handle
long URL's)

http://www.brookstone.com/shop/produ...&search_type=s
earch&search_words=luggage%20lock

Old November 13th, 2003, 01:49 PM
Mike Cordelli

Totally agree, but with the TSA having to open ties and the rest it just
lets the people behind them have their way with your luggage. You still
have the baggage handlers and the rest who have been going through bags way
before the TSA was involved.

I would probably say get a lock if you want a lock, and some type of tamper
seal so you can tell if it was opened or not. If the TSA has to open it
they can relock it and you still have the seal to show somebody was in it.
If the Baggage people want it they will either use the super secret method
the TSA has to open the locks, or just break the lock, but either way your
seal tape will show somebody was in there.

"Robin" wrote in message
om...

Bingo. If my bag gets opened, I'd rather know about it.

Old November 13th, 2003, 02:30 PM
Rich Cacace

How lone before the luggage handlers get a set of these "special keys"?
These locks will do absolutely nothing to keep out anyone who wants to get
into the bags. The colored ties will at least let you know if the bag was
opened assuming the guys who open the bag don't have a pocket full of them
to replace yours. How many different colors are there?

"Robin" wrote in message
om...

"Mike Cordelli" wrote in message

"they use a special, secure system to unlock the Easy Check lock and

then
re-lock it once the inspection is complete".

Not sure if I believe only the TSA will figure out how to open them,

Bingo. If my bag gets opened, I'd rather know about it. If it's tampered
with and there is a loss, I can claim it before I leave the airport. I

have
used brightly colored tie wraps to secure zippers in the past and may

return
to the practice. They are about as secure as those cheesey little luggage
locks and cheaper to replace.

On a recent trip to Europe we had checked 3 bags, 1 unlocked and 2 locked,
on the way there. If the bag was locked, you had to wait for it to clear
the scanner before you went to the boarding area. The unlocked bag got

sent
on its way and I was detained while the 2 locked bags were opened in front
of me and thoroughly searched. The searched bags got tagged with a "hand
searched security sticker" and were sent on their way.
On the return trip to the states the same bags were also locked, but none
were searched.

Old November 13th, 2003, 03:58 PM
Susette405

But if these locks can be opened by TSA people you know unscrupulous people
will also be able to open them. I always wondered why peopleworried about
locking the luggage most is softsided adn nothing easier to open then a lock
on the luggage anyway! do not put things of value in checked luggage!

Susette
Join us on our Annual Group Cruise 29Nov03 Navigator of the Seas
Check out our new website: www.cruiseoutlets.com
Old November 13th, 2003, 04:12 PM
Susette405

a pocket full of them
to replace yours. How many different colors are there?

I did see at the Dollar store FLUORESCENT colored ones..
Using these are a great idea!
Old November 13th, 2003, 04:44 PM
Gayle A Kortright

Robin,
Where do you find those colored ties? I have the cable ties but like
the idea of the colored ties as well.

Thanks,
Gayle

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, Robin wrote:

"Rich Cacace" richcacace-REMOVE TO REPLY
The colored ties will at least let you know if the bag was
opened assuming the guys who open the bag don't have a pocket full of them
to replace yours. How many different colors are there?

I have day-glo yellow, orange, green, blue, and pink. You can also put a
mark on them with a permanent marker or paint marker. If the thief carries
a set of art supplies in addition to the colored ties, I'm SOL!

Old November 13th, 2003, 06:08 PM
Queen of Cruising

On 13 Nov 2003 15:58:25 GMT, ojunk (Susette405)
wrote:

do not put things of value in checked luggage!

If life was so easy.........

The follow on would be don't buy anything that is too large to carry
personally.

If life was so easy.........
Old November 13th, 2003, 06:12 PM
Queen of Cruising

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 12:18:02 -0500, "Rich Cacace" richcacace-REMOVE
TO wrote:

Amen.

Prayer is only allowed on alt.religion.

Please read the charter.