Cancelling non-refundable ticket

Old April 7th, 2007, 01:44 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

Default Cancelling non-refundable ticket

Hi folks --

I have a Canada - Switzerland flight booked through Air Canada -- it
is an economy class, non-refundable ticket.

There is a slight possibility I will need to cancel this trip -- does
anyone know what my options are with the ticket? I realize a refund
is out of the question, but does Air Canada do credits and, if so,
what are the rules?

I've never had to cancel a flight before, and trying to get an AC
agent on the phone is proving a bit of an impossibility.

Any help is welcome!

Thanks,

Robert

Old April 7th, 2007, 06:47 PM posted to rec.travel.air
John L

I have a Canada - Switzerland flight booked through Air Canada -- it
is an economy class, non-refundable ticket.

There is a slight possibility I will need to cancel this trip -- does
anyone know what my options are with the ticket?

I looked at the rules for YYZ-ZRH tickets which say that there's a
C$200 penalty and you can apply what's left toward another ticket.

I've never had to cancel a flight before, and trying to get an AC
agent on the phone is proving a bit of an impossibility.

That's odd, I rarely have to wait more than a minute or two.

R's,
John
Old April 7th, 2007, 06:54 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

Thanks for your reply, John. May I ask where you find these rules?
Also, do you know if the amount can be applied to any ticket, or does
it have to be for the same trip?

Old April 8th, 2007, 09:41 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Thur

johnsrober wrote
oups.com...
I have a Canada - Switzerland flight booked through Air Canada -- it
is an economy class, non-refundable ticket.

If it's non-refundable, it's non-refundable. However, if you (not applicable
here, I guess) or a close familiy member have died it might still be
possible to get a (partial) refund. If it's for any other reason, then it's
up to the goodwill and mood of the customer service agent you talk to on the
phone.
The refund rules are different depending on you ticket price class. Some
economy tickets are cheaper and hence more restricted than others. The
customer service might be able to tell you just how "non-refundable" your
ticket is from 0% to 100% penalty when cancelling). It might be a different
story for the taxes and surcharges. Good luck.
Greetings,

-yeah yeah...

Old April 8th, 2007, 03:54 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

On 8 Apr, 13:44, Shawn Hirn wrote:
In article .com,

wrote:
Hi folks --

I have a Canada - Switzerland flight booked through Air Canada -- it
is an economy class, non-refundable ticket.

There is a slight possibility I will need to cancel this trip -- does
anyone know what my options are with the ticket? I realize a refund
is out of the question, but does Air Canada do credits and, if so,
what are the rules?

I've never had to cancel a flight before, and trying to get an AC
agent on the phone is proving a bit of an impossibility.

Any help is welcome!

On Air Canada's web site, it says

5. Voluntary changes to your itinerary may require the payment of
additional fees and fare upgrades. If you are travelling on a
Non-Refundable ticket, Air Canada will be unable to make exceptions in
the event of an unexpected trip cancellation or medical emergency. We
recommend the purchase of travel insurance.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin.../contract.html

Did you buy trip insurance?

You might be able to get a credit, but the reality is, you simply need
to be patient and call Air Canada to ask for an official response that's
based on your particular set of circumstances.

Why can't they just tell customers clearly the terms and conditions of
the ticket before they buy it..?

Crazy idea, I know.

Old April 8th, 2007, 04:54 PM posted to rec.travel.air
John L

I have a Canada - Switzerland flight booked through Air Canada -- it
is an economy class, non-refundable ticket.

Why can't they just tell customers clearly the terms and conditions of
the ticket before they buy it..?

Actually they do. On the page on AC's web site before you buy the
tickets, it says:

# Tickets are non-refundable and non-transferable.

# Changes may incur penalties and/or increased fares and are subject
to availability. Changes and cancellations must be done by calling
Reservations at least 2 hours prior to departure.

# Flights can only be used in sequence from the place of departure
specified on the itinerary.

# Advance purchase, minimum/maximum stay, and other conditions may apply.

# Read complete fare rules applicable to this fare.

The words "fare rules" are linked to the detailed rules with all the
small print where it says the penalty is $200.

R's,
John
Old April 9th, 2007, 06:34 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Tchiowa

wrote:
[...]

Standard Ts & Cs. Plus I'm sure they're on the website. How much time
did you spend looking for them before you bought?

Old April 9th, 2007, 07:27 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

wrote:
[...]

They are not 'standard T&Cs at all, but specific conditions to that
particular ticket.
The general T&Cs tell you nothing about the conditions for a
particular ticket, only that
the airline will make some vague committment to get you from A to B.

I don't expect to have to spend any time looking up the specific
conditions, as I expect
them to be clear when I choose the ticket.

Old April 10th, 2007, 01:32 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Tchiowa

On Apr 10, 1:27 am, wrote:
On 9 Apr, 06:34, "Tchiowa" wrote:

On Apr 8, 9:54 pm, wrote:

Why can't they just tell customers clearly the terms and conditions of
the ticket before they buy it..?

Crazy idea, I know.

Standard Ts & Cs. Plus I'm sure they're on the website. How much time
did you spend looking for them before you bought?

They are not 'standard T&Cs at all, but specific conditions to that
particular ticket.

No, to that fare. And they standard to that fare.

The general T&Cs tell you nothing about the conditions for a
particular ticket, only that the airline will make some vague committment
to get you from A to B.

I don't expect to have to spend any time looking up the specific
conditions, as I expect them to be clear when I choose the ticket.

Did you use a professional agent instead of an on-line site.? If you
book on-line then you are accepting that responsibility yourself.