Glacier and Yellowstone National Parks 2013 - a travel photo-documentary

Old December 31st, 2013, 06:46 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dan Stephenson

Default Glacier and Yellowstone National Parks 2013 - a travel photo-documentary

I made a long road trip last Fall, taking in Glacier National Park and
Yellowstone National Park.

I live in Texas, and the simple drive north would be dull, so I went by
way of a westward loop, taking in some Puebloan ruins, Monument Valley,
and excellent riverside driving in Idaho. Then I spent several days
each in the parks. Highly recommended! I hope my travel
photo-documentary can help you out in planning your own trip:

http://stepheda.com/Glacier_Yellowst...013_Index.html

A few travel-tip observations: The accomodation in the parks seem to
be very limiting - old, expensive, and booked up a year in advance.
Just check tripadvisor. They only thing seeming to go for them, is
that they are in the parks themselves. It mystifies my why the NPS
doesn't enable the opportunity for a Holiday Inn Express or Hampton Inn
-type of hotel to set up. Instead, there is a cartel, with a lock on
an artificially limited supply. So: you may find a need to stay just
outside the park, too, though it adds a good bit of drive time each day.

I didn't see much wildlife in either park. You're going to see buffalo
in Yellowstone, at least. But a colleague who went in May, just after
the roads are cleared of snow, says the wildlife was much more visible
at that time. A park ranger told my colleague this was because over
the winter, the animals hadn't seen people, and so were initially much
less reclusive.

The huckleberry ice cream available in the Glacier area should
definitely be experienced!

The Monument Valley drive really is just a simple and short drive, but
it truly is incredible and everyone should do this at some point.
Kayenta at the southern end has some nice mid-range type places to stay
and would make a great base. Moab is a good northern destination. It
has Arches National Park nearby, and on the way there are numerous
other park areas.

Highway 12 in Idaho to Missoula is just an amazing technical drive, 99
miles of twisting roads, incredible for energetic driving!

Do you listen to podcasts? Some stretches in Utah, and the return home
through Wyoming, Colorado and Texas, are not so interesting, BUT
podcasts are great great ways to pass the time on cruise control. In
particular, sheck out the BBC program called In Our Time, which
discusses a range of topics in incredible detail for a whole hour.

So there you are, have a lot of fun,

--
Dan Stephenson
http://stepheda.com