Italy vacation tips for 2004.

Old March 2nd, 2004, 09:09 PM
Eric Anderson

Default Italy vacation tips for 2004.

I just came back from Italy (March 1, 2004). This will be short for
now. If someone shows some interest, I will post more.

I have noticed that most posts in all newsgroups on Italy seem to be
from the time lire was the legal tender. I heard no mention of lire
at all during the 11 days I was in Italy. There were booths and
money changing stores that had it listed, but I was surprised that
even the little tiny shops had everything in Euros. It made things a
LOT easier.

Italy was just as I expected. A real treat and something just this
side of a dream. The weather was not so good. It rained often and
the temperature was in the 40's most of the time. I will say that the
lousy weather did little to hamper a good time. I have spent all
morning (this is the day after my return) going through the 400 to 500
digital photos I took. I compared them to photos a friend of mine
took in 1999 when I spent hours looking at them and could not believe
the color and tonal range of the buildings and pictures (and the color
on digital cameras was not that good back then). Mine are even better
and I can't believe I was there. In a month I am sure I will view it
as a dream I had.

We went to Rome and then took a train Florence and Venice. It was a
great idea. The train ride was fast, unbelievably quiet and
scenically beautiful. Venice had snow (yes, snow!). There was about
an inch or so on the ground most of the couple of days we were there.
Because of that and the unpredictability of the weather at the end of
February, I would recommend visiting about a month or so later.

Some tips:

Have Euros available. Many places take credit cards, but my wife (who
went in 1999) feels that they are not as willing to take credit cards
as they were back then. Most all restaurants take them, but some of
the small shops did not. Take a bank atm card along and extract cash
from your account. It was easy as there are atm machines everywhere
and I could get cash from my checking account any time I wanted to.
Get a phone card in a tobacco shop (they are everywhere). Phone cards
are super cheap. We got a $5 phone card and it had something like 180
minutes on it. That is less than 3 cents a minute to the United
States!!!!!! I still cannot believe that. I still have about 100
minutes on it and my wife talked to our son on it (now, that DOES
impress me).

I did not see a pickpocket once while I was there, but don't let that
go to your head. All the Italian guides tell you (many, many times)
to keep your guard up. I heard some people that did get hit. Do be
careful of the shyster that might try to pull something on you. Two
rackets I fell for.

We had a 6:30 AM flight out of Venice. We reluctantly took the water
taxi (at 90 euros) in order to ensure that we would make it in time
because of the weather. The taxi was great and we arrived in less
than 1/2 hour from pickup at our hotel (the taxi came up one of the
canals that was in front of our hotel). If you can split the cost
with another couple or two, do it. When we arrived at the airport, I
learned that Marco Polo had built a new terminal about a year ago.
There were a couple of guys waiting for us that wanted to take us to
the airport. They had a panel truck with just a front seat and a
cargo area behind the seat. DO NOT TAKE THIS TO THE TERMINAL. There
is a shuttle bus about the size of a city transit bus that will take
you for free. These buzzards were on us as soon as we arrived. They
wanted 20 euros for the 300 yard trip to the terminal and they did not
tell us until we got to the terminal. They implied that they were the
shuttle service. I heard that you don't want to have people handle
your luggage, but I guess they caught me off guard. I told them I did
not have 20 euros and they took me back in front of the old terminal.
If you get in this situation, just wait for the FREE transit bus or
walk to the new terminal (it is only about 300 yards past the old
terminal). Can you believe the gall of charging 20 euros (over $25
US) to take you 300 yards??!!!

The other thing we did wrong (that turned out OK) was to have a guy
convince us to take a free water taxi to a murano glass factory. Mark
me, I was not totally stupid here. I did check out his vendor's
license badge he had, but I was concerned. It turned out to be a very
interesting and quick way to get to the island and a free trip back
(although we did have a 24 hour water bus ticket). The only drawback
is that you feel pressured to buy something -- sort of like the free
vacations to sell you a vacation home. If you can resist that, then
this is a nice way to get a demonstration. You probably will find the
cost of the products a little higher, so you need to be an informed
buyer.

Oh well, I typed longer than I thought I would. If there is interest,
I might add to this.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 09:58 PM
Luca Logi

Eric Anderson wrote:

There were booths and
money changing stores that had it listed, but I was surprised that
even the little tiny shops had everything in Euros.

There is little to be surprised. Liras were retired from general
circulation two years ago. Changing them now at Banca d'Italia is a bit
of a hassle, so everybody made sure to change leftover liras as soon as
possible.

--
Luca Logi - Firenze - Italy e-mail:
Old March 2nd, 2004, 10:04 PM
B Vaughan

On 2 Mar 2004 12:09:10 -0800, (Eric Anderson)
wrote:

I just came back from Italy (March 1, 2004). This will be short for
now. If someone shows some interest, I will post more.

I have noticed that most posts in all newsgroups on Italy seem to be
from the time lire was the legal tender. I heard no mention of lire
at all during the 11 days I was in Italy. There were booths and
money changing stores that had it listed, but I was surprised that
even the little tiny shops had everything in Euros. It made things a
LOT easier.

Since Italy abandoned the lira over 3 years ago, it shouldn't surprise
you that everything's in euros now. Although I've noticed that when
speaking, people (even newscasters) still tend to give a cost in euros
and then translate it to lire.

Some tips:

Have Euros available. Many places take credit cards, but my wife (who
went in 1999) feels that they are not as willing to take credit cards
as they were back then. Most all restaurants take them, but some of
the small shops did not. Take a bank atm card along and extract cash
from your account. It was easy as there are atm machines everywhere
and I could get cash from my checking account any time I wanted to.

I don't think there's been any drop in the acceptance of credit cards
in the last few years; probably the reverse. Either your wife doesn't
remember or she was shopping in a different class of shop the last
time.

Get a phone card in a tobacco shop (they are everywhere). Phone cards
are super cheap. We got a $5 phone card and it had something like 180
minutes on it. That is less than 3 cents a minute to the United
States!!!!!! I still cannot believe that. I still have about 100
minutes on it and my wife talked to our son on it (now, that DOES
impress me).

This card is called the "Sisal Edicard Europe & USA". It is sold
anywhere that SuperEnaLotto tickets are sold, which includes some (but
not all) tobacco shops and some other locations.

There is a similar card sold in post offices called "international
phone card" or "carta telefonica internazionale". The price is similar
also. I prefer the Edicard because the menu navigation is quicker.

Oh well, I typed longer than I thought I would. If there is interest,
I might add to this.

I think it's very useful for people to hear the experiences of someone
who's just returned from a trip. Thanks for posting, and do tell us
more.
-----------
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old March 2nd, 2004, 10:43 PM
em_CT

I love your account of the trip. I will be going there this summer and would
like to know if you are planning to post your pictures for all of us to
enjoy?

Regards,

Egmont

Em_CT

Old March 3rd, 2004, 05:26 AM
Carole Allen

I was in Italy Feb 1-27, starting Venice, then Florence, Perugia,
Orvieto and Rome.

Venice: VERY cold (near freezing) and very foggy..could hardly see
across the grand canal..snowed the day after I left. I stayed at the
Don Orione Artigianelli convent, great location at Zattere, just
minutes from the Accademia Bridge. Very modern, spotless rooms, nice
bathrooms, friendly staff, 1am curfew. They take familes and singles,
no credit cards. I paid 67euro/night (4 nights), self-serve breakfast
included. The Accademia vaporetto stop is being repaired, and is
temporarily at San Vio, just a little further down the canal. I left
just a day or two before the official start of Carnival, and they were
putting up stands and booths and all sort of equipment in the various
piazzas. I spent my days exploring the nooks and crannies of San
Polo, Cannareggio, the old Jewish Quarter, Dorsoduro, and the back
side of San Marco (going toward the Arsenale), etc., etc.

Florence: some light drizzle, but a few sunny days...took a 1 day
cooking class (divinacucina.com); great fun, started with a grand tour
of the central market; because I was with Judy (the instructor)
everyone wanted to give me free samples of food, had a tasting of
balsamic vinegars, one was 50 years old. I decided what i wanted to
make, she bought the ingredients, we hit the bread store, the wine
shop, cooked and ate and drank. Was there 6 days (had seen all the
museums on previous stops), so walked and walked, explored all the
neighborhoods. Went to the Sunday flea market at San Spirito. So
much to see I never did manage any daytrips out of the city. Stayed
at the Ferretti, kind of funky 2 star, but really nice and helpful
staff. Self-serve breakfast. Great location near the Duomo and SM
Novella.

Perugia: weather much like Florence, Hotel Fortuna very nice place,
good location just off Piazza d'Italia. Nice breakfast included...ham
and cheese and hard boiled eggs, yogurt in addition to the regular
bread/rolls. Perugia was my base to explore Assisi and Gubbio as well
(by local bus). Ristorante Altromonde serves veal stuffed with cheese
and grilled which is paradise.

Assisi & Gubbio: beautiful, beautiful, beautiful

Orvieto: cold and rainy. took shelter in the Duomo and a ton of
museums. Finally (really, to preserve my health), forced to take
cover in a ceramics store which ultimately did some serious damage to
my credit card balance. Duomo partly under scaffolding. Many
restaurants not open in the evenings (too early in the year?). Hotel
Corso...nice room, but one of those showers above the toilet. Was
going to try the convent there, but they had a 10pm curfew, and
restaurants opened late for dinner. Had stayed at the Corso several
years ago so knew what to expect.

Rome: warm, some light rain, one day of heavier rain....many more
tourists than I had seen thus far. The Borghese is still grand (oh,
those Bernini sculptures!), walking from there to the top of the
Spanish Steps through the grounds is a pleasant way to spend some
time. Went to the Sunday flea market at Trastavere, great fun, spent
the entire morning there. Then walked to the Mouth of Truth, then
back along the Circus Maximus. Lots of guys running around trying to
sell you umbrellas...can't walk 10 feet without another one in your
face. Had the BEST pizza at Zio Ciro, facing the front of the
Pantheon. Again, walked virtually everywhere.

Trains ran on time, busses too; hotels were 2-3 star level, modest but
clean and fine, not too expensive. I traveled alone (I turned 56 in
Rome), all public transport, never felt unsafe or threatened. Of
course, I use a money belt and an inside pocket, no wallet or
purse...(I travel pretty light...when I checked in at Seattle my
carry-on bag - with the clothes in it - weighed 12 pounds. I had a
small daypack which weighed another 3-4 [film, camera, journal, etc.])
The Leonardo Express from Termini to Fiumicino was handy, quick and
only 9.5 euro.

People were very friendly. Internet cafes are everywhere. I walked
on average 10-12 miles/day (took my pedometer.) Climbed enough stairs
and hills to age my knees 10 times over. (And despite it all, came
home weighing EXACTLY the same as the day I left! Arrrrrgh!) The
wine and food are not too expensive, but the dollar stinks against the
Euro..whatever the Euro price just add a third..the rate averaged
$1.28+ to the euro...but I have had enough pizza for awhile, and pasta
too...I managed 36 flavors of gelato...would have done more but hardly
ate any in Venice...too darn cold, and fewer gelaterias open in
winter, apparently... attended a free concert in the Jesuit Church in
Rome one Sunday evening which was really neat...Shipped home some
souvenirs, maps, books, etc. via Mailboxes Etc. (they are everywhere
too). Much easier than carrying that stuff around. ATMs
abound...used my ATM card linked to my checking account (credit
union), got favorable exchange rate, no surcharges or additional fees.
There seem to be more that use Cirrus than Plus, but both can be
found. Used credit cards for the hotels and a few pieces of jewelry
(oh, and those ceramic pieces I bought and had shipped), but cash for
all my meals...just easier.

Note on fashion trends for the ladies (and the "bent" guys I guess
too): Fur coats were everywhere, even on nice days; some days I'm out
in a sweater and people are in fur, big scarves under their necks like
they are in Alaska. Pointy shoes and boots with skinny high heels;
so pointy the point extends like 3 inches beyond the toes..almost like
witch shoes. Brightly patterned tights and panty hose, with wild
patterns. Mini skirts! REALLY mini skirts, sometimes pleated, with
over the thigh stockings. Cross between a hooker and a schoolgirl.
Guess they can't decide - that old Hooker/Virgin thing going on I
guess.

coming home was an adventure...we left rome 3 hours late, I missed my
connection in Philadelphia, airline put a bunch of us up in a hotel
with a meal for the night. Immigration, baggage and customs in Phil
took a good 1.5 hrs, then reticketing took another 1.5 (they had to
rebook close to half the passsengers...my guess is at least 150 missed
connections). Good news is I got home a day late, but I got bumped to
first class for Phil-Sea! I could get used to that!

All in all a wonderful trip (my third to Italy thus far).

Old March 3rd, 2004, 05:31 AM
The Grammer Genious

Carole Allen wrote:

Venice: VERY cold (near freezing) and very foggy..could hardly see
across the grand canal..snowed the day after I left. ...

Trivia question:
Which is farther north: Venice, or Halifax, Nova Scotia?

If the question takes you aback, go check a map.

Old March 3rd, 2004, 06:10 AM
robert stephens

Carole Allen wrote:
(snip)
I walked
on average 10-12 miles/day (took my pedometer.) Climbed enough stairs
and hills to age my knees 10 times over. (And despite it all, came
home weighing EXACTLY the same as the day I left! Arrrrrgh!)

(snip)
....but I have had enough pizza for awhile, and pasta
too...I managed 36 flavors of gelato...would have done more but hardly
ate any in Venice..

Maybe the two balanced out ;-)

Nice trip report!

-Robert

Old March 3rd, 2004, 06:32 AM
Carole Allen

Carole Allen wrote:
(snip)
I walked
on average 10-12 miles/day (took my pedometer.) Climbed enough stairs
and hills to age my knees 10 times over. (And despite it all, came
home weighing EXACTLY the same as the day I left! Arrrrrgh!)

(snip)
...but I have had enough pizza for awhile, and pasta
too...I managed 36 flavors of gelato...would have done more but hardly
ate any in Venice..

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 05:10:06 GMT, robert stephens
wrote:
Maybe the two balanced out ;-)

Nice trip report!

-Robert

Thx...that's what I figured. At least I didn't come home weighing
MORE!

Oh, a few more things I forgot...saw a nun out lunching with her
family downing a big mug of beer....looked strange (now wine would not
have surprised me at all!)

I may be a lapsed Catholic but I miss the candles you could light for
making a small offering...only a few churches had them...most had
these electric things, like those lights people put in their windows
at Christmas. I like the smell of the burning wax. LOL, what is the
world coming to?

Before I went I really worked on the language. I had the numbers,
days of the week, lots of vocabulary down pretty pat. Not enough for
really fluent conversations, but enough to understand when they
answered me in Italian. And to understand announcements on the
trains, at the stations, to get directions, etc. Waiters always
wanted to give me the English menus, but I preferred ordering from the
local ones.

As I mentioned in another post, I wore basic black...pants, shirts,
coat, shoes, gloves...with a few scarves tossed in for color...they
held up well and I never felt out of place or like I stood out in a
crowd. In fact, despite the fact that I don't look remotely Italian,
I frequently had people stop and ask me a question in Italian (usually
an older man or woman).
Old March 3rd, 2004, 04:34 PM
Cathy Kearns

"Carole Allen" wrote in message
Carole Allen wrote:

Before I went I really worked on the language. I had the numbers,
days of the week, lots of vocabulary down pretty pat. Not enough for
really fluent conversations, but enough to understand when they
answered me in Italian. And to understand announcements on the
trains, at the stations, to get directions, etc. Waiters always
wanted to give me the English menus, but I preferred ordering from the
local ones.

We also worked on the language before we went, but our kids
didn't want to get involved. However, when it comes to
menus, the kids couldn't understand the English menus,
and ended up learning to ask for menus in Italian, so they
could get the Italian menus too. So yes, you do learn
some Italian when eating out at Italian restaurants in the
US.