Cruise Guests Sail Through Airline Process!

Old September 30th, 2003, 08:23 PM
Ray Goldenberg

Default Cruise Guests Sail Through Airline Process!

Hi Everyone,

I received this press release from Royal Caribbean/Celebrity and
thought it would be of interest. If you have missed any of my news'
postings, they are available on my web site.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com

Alaska Cruise Guests Sail Through Airline Check-In Process

Innovative Onboard Check-In Program - Quick And Convenient For
Customers

MIAMI, Sept. 30
Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, the Vancouver
International Airport Authority, Air Canada, and Alaska Airlines today
announced the successful completion of a 10-week pilot program called
"Onboard Check-in and Luggage Valet." The innovative program allowed
participating cruise guests to conduct their airline and luggage
check-in for their return flights home while still onboard their
cruise ship.

The program allowed guests to bypass the traditional check-in process
at the Vancouver International Airport, adding convenience and saving
time. Results show that Onboard Check-in and Luggage Valet saved
guests 45 minutes to two hours, compared to the traditional airport
check-in process.

Some 2,170 passengers participated in the pilot program, which ran
from July 13 to September 21, 2003. Canadian authorities and the U.S.
Transportation Security Administration approved and oversaw the
program.

Onboard Check-in and Luggage Valet was designed for U.S. residents
cruising to Alaska on Royal Caribbean International or Celebrity
Cruises sailings that concluded in Vancouver. Guests also had to be
flying to the U.S. on Air Canada the same day their cruise ended.
Based on the initial success of the program, and government approval,
the program was expanded to include Alaska Airlines customers during
the final two weeks of the Alaska cruise season.

While onboard their ship, and by the end of the fourth day of their
one- week cruise, participating guests confirmed their flight
information and number of bags to be checked. Based on this
information, boarding passes were printed by airline staff at the
Vancouver International Airport. When the ship arrived at the Port of
Vancouver, guests were given their boarding passes and luggage claim
checks, were taken by bus to Vancouver International Airport, and were
processed through security and U.S. federal inspection services in a
dedicated area. Their luggage was secured, taken separately to the
airport, processed, and moved directly to their aircraft. Guests then
picked up their luggage normally upon arrival at their destination
airport.

The companies and government agencies involved now will review the
program to further refine it and determine to what extent it could be
permanently implemented in the future.

"Onboard Check-in and Luggage Valet made returning home easier than
ever for our guests," said Nick Hafner, vice president of Air, Sea,
and Hotel for Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. "At the completion of their
cruise, our guests didn't have to locate their luggage, transport it
to the airport, or stand in long lines waiting to check-in. And,
because of our control over the luggage, the program actually improves
security. This is a model we hope to offer on all our ships, at all
turn-around ports."

"Cruise ship guests are an important and growing part of the Vancouver
International Airport's customer base," said Kevin Molloy, vice
president, Information Technology for the Vancouver International
Airport Authority. "This program is an example of how the Airport
Authority and our business partners are working to enhance customer
service through leading-edge solutions."

"Air Canada is always looking at innovative ways to enhance and
streamline the customer's airport experience," said John Ring, Air
Canada's general manager for Customer Service -- Western Canada. "We
are pleased to have helped lead the development and implementation of
this very successful onboard cruise ship check-in program, and we look
forward to the opportunity of offering this convenience to all of our
cruise ship customers in the near future."

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. is a global cruise vacation company that
operates Royal Caribbean International and Celebrity Cruises, with a
combined total of 26 ships in service and three under construction or
on firm order. The company also offers unique land-tour vacations in
Alaska, Canada and Europe through its cruise-tour division. Additional
information can be found by contacting your travel professional.

Vancouver International Airport is a community-based not-for-profit
organization that has developed and managed Vancouver International
Airport (YVR) since 1992. In 2002, YVR welcomed some 15 million
passengers and was rated as the #1 airport in North America by the
International Air Transport Association. For further information visit
www.yvr.ca .

Air Canada provides scheduled and charter air transportation for
passengers and cargo to more than 150 destinations on 5 continents.
With the most non-stop destinations and flights, Air Canada carries
more passengers between Canada and the US than any other airline.
Canada's flag carrier is the 11th largest commercial airline in the
world and serves more than 30 million customers annually with a fleet
of more than 300 aircraft.

Old September 30th, 2003, 10:36 PM
Donnassei

Hi Ray,
This sounds like a great plan, any idea if they will follow suit and do this in
Miami or San Juan?

Thanks,

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host