Best US based South Africa travel agent?

Old May 18th, 2004, 04:10 PM
So'n'so

Default Best US based South Africa travel agent?

I am interested in going to South Africa for about 2 weeks, and would like
to include 4-5 days on safari (at least). However, I'm less interested in
paying $400(!) per day for safari. Anyone know of an experience for a
first-time traveler to South Africa (I'm independent, but not a game
tracker, and don't drive on the left!) that would be satisfying?

Old May 18th, 2004, 06:12 PM
Dave Patterson

So'n'so wrote:

I am interested in going to South Africa for about 2 weeks, and would like
to include 4-5 days on safari (at least). However, I'm less interested in
paying $400(!) per day for safari.

That won't be easy. But if you make your trip in low season,
generally May through August, you'll find the lowest rates. Here's a web
site where dozens of camps and safari operators are listed,
and you can go to their web sites to see if you can find a good
safari place at a price you consider affordable.
http://www.cbel.com/south_africa/
Having said that - good safari experiences will cost $400 a day,
when you factor in the costs of getting to and from the camp,
tips, some expenses at the camp.
Here's a great one, with good May-August rates: http://www.garonga.com/
Another - April through July: http://www.honeyguidecamp.com/content_manto.htm

Most don't show their rates on the web, but will immediately
respond if you email them dates. Be sure and be specific
with your questions about how to reach the camp, and
what that costs.

Old May 18th, 2004, 07:24 PM
So'n'so

I had a feeling that would be the case. We are aiming for September, but
maybe August will have to do.

Old May 18th, 2004, 07:54 PM
Dave Patterson

Cold.
Be prepared for it to be cold.
Game drives in the AM start about dawn,
Afternoon game drives continue till
well after sundown.

Old May 18th, 2004, 07:55 PM
Dave Patterson

Cold.
Be prepared for it to be cold in August.

Old May 18th, 2004, 08:10 PM
Dave Patterson

So'n'so wrote:

I had a feeling that would be the case. We are aiming for September, but
maybe August will have to do.

One more thing: if you can come across
a safari camp with acceptable rates for your
needs in September, then you should go
then. Airfares will generally be lower then.
Some drop September 1, all drop by
September 15.

Old May 21st, 2004, 07:14 PM
So'n'so

Dave, thanks for the info. I have done a safari in Kenya, so I know about
the drive times...hey I like to nap in the middle of the day too!
As for airfare, that's a good suggestion. I like going when kids are in
school, so early-mid September seems like a good time.