best place to stay in Los Angeles

Old August 12th, 2008, 02:54 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Matt[_5_]

Default best place to stay in Los Angeles

We will be arriving from the north.

We have a half day (the day we get in) when we were looking at doing an
overview tour of LA (suggestions if there is one? Or just do a Hollywood
one?)

Then next day at Universal Studios and then next day at Disneyland
Next day driving to San Diego.

We may or may not keep the hire car while in LA (international visitors
so not sure on how we will deal with the road system!) or get another
for the drive south (or even go on the train - departs from?)

So the main question is, does anyone have a suggestion of the best area
to stay that would either be central or provide easy public transport (5
people) or would we be best moving hotels?
Old August 12th, 2008, 04:15 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Matt[_5_]

Shawn Hirn wrote:
In article
,
Matt wrote:

We will be arriving from the north.

We have a half day (the day we get in) when we were looking at doing an
overview tour of LA (suggestions if there is one? Or just do a Hollywood
one?)

Then next day at Universal Studios and then next day at Disneyland
Next day driving to San Diego.

We may or may not keep the hire car while in LA (international visitors
so not sure on how we will deal with the road system!) or get another
for the drive south (or even go on the train - departs from?)

So the main question is, does anyone have a suggestion of the best area
to stay that would either be central or provide easy public transport (5
people) or would we be best moving hotels?

Stay in Santa Monica or Venice Beach. Check http://www.expedia.com or
one of the other travel related web sites to see what hotels look
interesting to you.

Is this because its nice by the ocean or ease of access/public transort etc?
Old August 12th, 2008, 09:12 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
traveltightwad[_2_]

Public transportation in the greater LA area is not so hot. And the
places you have mentioned are really too far apart for taxi or public
transit anyway. You will find the trip much easier if you rent your
own vehicle or worst case scenario use a shuttle service. Many hotels
will offer their private shuttle to and from LAX, as well as to close-
by attractions.

Recommendation above for the Venice area is not bad. Very entertaining
for visitors. I personally would have opted for Hermosa or Manhattan
Beach areas, but that's just personal preference. Those areas will be
a bit more expensive, but far safer, especially for tourists. Also
this would put you just a bit closer to San Diego for that day of your
adventure.

Old August 12th, 2008, 05:57 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
PeterL

On Aug 11, 6:54*pm, Matt wrote:
We will be arriving from the north.

We have a half day (the day we get in) when we were looking at doing an
overview tour of LA (suggestions if there is one? Or just do a Hollywood
one?)

Then next day at Universal Studios and then next day at Disneyland
Next day driving to San Diego.

We may or may not keep the hire car while in LA (international visitors
so not sure on how we will deal with the road system!) or get another
for the drive south (or even go on the train - departs from?)

So the main question is, does anyone have a suggestion of the best area
to stay that would either be central or provide easy public transport (5
people) or would *we be best moving hotels?

It's really difficult to get around on public transport in LA. It's a
huge place with relatively poor public transport. If you are taking
tours they'll probably pick you up at your hotel. I also second Santa
Monica. But then I'd advise moving down to the Anaheim area after the
first two days. It's a lot closer to Disneyland and also closer to
San Diego.
Old August 12th, 2008, 06:14 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Lawrence Akutagawa

"PeterL" wrote in message
On Aug 11, 6:54 pm, Matt wrote:
[...]

***************

And look for those motel coupon books. They - while usually for weekdays -
offer good prices. Read carefully the terms. These books - one is green
and the other yellow - can be found in those metal newpaper stands at rest
stops or at common tourist places like fast food outlets and even street
corners. Their websites -

http://www.travelcouponguide.com/

http://www.travelerdiscountguide.com/

Old August 12th, 2008, 08:07 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Don Kirkman[_2_]

It seems to me I heard somewhere that Matt wrote in article
:

We will be arriving from the north.

We have a half day (the day we get in) when we were looking at doing an
overview tour of LA (suggestions if there is one? Or just do a Hollywood
one?)

Then next day at Universal Studios and then next day at Disneyland
Next day driving to San Diego.

We may or may not keep the hire car while in LA (international visitors
so not sure on how we will deal with the road system!) or get another
for the drive south (or even go on the train - departs from?)

So the main question is, does anyone have a suggestion of the best area
to stay that would either be central or provide easy public transport (5
people) or would we be best moving hotels?

I haven't seen any suggestions about Disneyland. Disneyland is
roughly 25 or 30 miles east of downtown Los Angeles, which makes it
around 40 miles from the Venice/Santa Monica area. If the OP plans to
drive to Disneyland on the day of his visit he's crossing the downtown
LA area sometime in the (early) morning and should figure on at least
an hour of driving and probably quite a bit more. It would probably
be much better to move to a hotel close to Disneyland the night before
the visit - Disneyland itself will easily use up all the available
time on that day.

FWIW, driving on to San Diego is much easier than driving within the
LA area. and FWIW, starting from the Disneyland area will shorten
that trip by an hour or more as compared to starting from Venice/Santa
Monica.
--
Don Kirkman

Old August 12th, 2008, 11:18 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
PeterL

On Aug 12, 12:07*pm, Don Kirkman wrote:
[...]

Don: Disneyland is southeast of Santa Monica and south of downtown
LA. From Santa Monica to Disneyland there is not need to drive
through downtown. Still it's not a short commute and getting a hotel
closer to Disneyland the night before is good advice.
Old August 14th, 2008, 12:37 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Don Kirkman[_2_]

It seems to me I heard somewhere that PeterL wrote in article
:

[...]

I know; I live less than ten miles from Disneyland and commuted into
the LA civic center for about 15 years. I guess we could quibble
about "downtown" but the Santa Monica freeway does just south of and
fairly near the civic and business center of LA, and the only other
reasonable alternatives are the 105 at the level of LAX and the 91
(Artesia) which parallels the 105 a few miles farther south. The goal
is to reach the I5, which passes east of downtown LA; Disneyland is
located alongside the I5. IMO none of the three freeways between the
Santa Monica area and their junctions to the I5 are apt to be light
traffic during business hours.
--
Don Kirkman