Olympics Wagering

Old August 9th, 2008, 12:57 PM posted to alt.vacation.las-vegas,rec.arts.dance,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Default Olympics Wagering

[Recreation of a post of two hours ago that hasn't appeared.]

Tim said:
They didn't say "full access", they said "full access to sites needed by
journalists" (or something similar). They are thus free to interpret this
differently to you and I

I heard a report that Wikipedia was blocked. It isn't difficult to
argue that a journalist might need to access that site while working.

On Aug 8, 4:05 pm, PeterL wrote:
On Aug 8, 2:22 am, wrote:
My bet is that China will profoundly regret its successful bid to host
the 2008 Summer Olympics.

When journalists … are told they can't go here and there to report on
this or that, they'll go farther and deeper to get stories that China doesn't
want us to read, hear, or see.

Wanna bet?

I watched the Opening Ceremony while having dinner in a bar. Watched,
did not hear. Just watched, and heard, the rebroadcast that was just
as thrilling as the first viewing. Thanks to the National Broadcasting
Company for making this possible. And thanks to Bob Costas and the
other commenters for their restraint when their comments were
unnecessary and their explanations when they were needed.

I was pleased that some of the thoughts I expressed during the first
viewing, such as the pressure on London for the seeming impossibility
of topping this spectacle and the incredible precision of the
performers were also expressed on the air.

It appears that you have lose your bet:

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/new...80808&prov=yho....

I read the excellent report at the URL above before the second
viewing. Thank you for the link.

We cannot know the resolution of my proposition 'til the end o'the
month at the earliest. It appears you read what you wanted me to have
said rather than what I did say.
Old August 10th, 2008, 09:28 AM posted to alt.vacation.las-vegas,rec.arts.dance,rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

In rec.travel.europe on Saturday 09 August 2008, in a message that
will be removed on August 16 at 07:36, Martin said:
Icono Clast wrote:
I heard a report that Wikipedia was blocked.

S Viemeister said:
A relative of mine just returned from a couple of years in China - she
reports that Wikipedia and a number of other sites, are indeed blocked.

Wikipedia has been unblocked in the meantime.
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Chinese_...d_across_China