Luggage storage facility at Newark Airport?

Old April 14th, 2004, 09:42 PM
Christian Nielsen

Default Luggage storage facility at Newark Airport?

I was wandering, if they have a luggage storage facility at Newark
airport.....
I'll arrive Sunday afternoon, and leave again Monday Night, so instead of
bringing backpack to downtown NY, it would like to leave it at the
airport.......If it's safe?

/Christian Nielsen

Old April 15th, 2004, 02:34 PM
Binyamin Dissen

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 22:42:33 +0200 "Christian Nielsen"
wrote:

:I was wandering, if they have a luggage storage facility at Newark
:airport.....
:I'll arrive Sunday afternoon, and leave again Monday Night, so instead of
:bringing backpack to downtown NY, it would like to leave it at the
:airport.......If it's safe?

An option, assuming nothing really valuable, is to simply not pick it up
(assuming that you are not coming in from an international flight).

Then go to the lost luggage area the next day.

It may be worth calling the airline that night to explain that you "forgot" to
take your bag.

Also, it may be possible to check it thru. I had an occasion where I arrived
into EWR on an afternoon flight and was departing the next morning. They
checked it thru by default.

I had to make them change it to a check in just for the EWR flight.

If I had known in advance that they might check it thru I would have packed
differently and would have let them do it.

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com
Old April 15th, 2004, 07:06 PM
Brian K

On 04/14/2004 4:42 PM Christian Nielsen wrote:

I was wandering, if they have a luggage storage facility at Newark
airport.....
I'll arrive Sunday afternoon, and leave again Monday Night, so instead of
bringing backpack to downtown NY, it would like to leave it at the
airport.......If it's safe?

/Christian Nielsen

If you take the train from Newark Liberty International Airport to
Newark Penn Station. Take the PATH (Port Authority Trans Hudson) line
into New York City. I have found when I travel that many aquariums and
museums will check luggage for a fee. Do a Google search on museums in
New York City. Check out their web pages for "guest services" or
similar. If they offer concierge services for luggage, it will usually
be spelled out there.

--
________
To email me, Edit "xt" from my email address.

Old April 16th, 2004, 12:03 AM
Douglas W. Hoyt

I was wandering, if they have a luggage storage facility at Newark
airport.....

Two years ago I tried to figure this out. One Continental airlines rep on
the phone told me that there were lockers at EWR that were open and usable,
despite security precautions. I did call back though, and got a
Continental airlines rep on the phone who told me that the lockers were
closed and unusable due to security concerns, but that a private company
would check luggage at EWR. When I arrived at EWR, there was a
Continental desk, and they told me that the lockers were closed, and that
they had never heard of such a private company. I had a 6 hour layover,
and they advised me not to go into New York City, because that would be
impossible in such a short time.

Of course, they were idiots. I went into the city with my heavy backpack
on my back. And on my NEXT 6 hour layover a year ago Miguel Cruz let me
know that you can check your bags at Penn Station. There was indeed a
very easy and practical luggage check place in Penn Station--and that was a
LOT better than carrying the backpack on my back.

In MSP and MKE lately I've used luggage lockers that ARE open. Maybe they
have finally opened up the lockers at EWR again so that you can check your
luggage there. Try calling your airline to ask if this is possible, but
just be prepared that no matter what they tell you, they may complete
idiots. But the Penn Station (NYC, not Newark) facility worked for me!

Old April 18th, 2004, 08:01 PM
B Vaughan

wrote:

:I was wandering, if they have a luggage storage facility at Newark
:airport.....
:I'll arrive Sunday afternoon, and leave again Monday Night, so instead of
:bringing backpack to downtown NY, it would like to leave it at the
:airport.......If it's safe?

An option, assuming nothing really valuable, is to simply not pick it up
(assuming that you are not coming in from an international flight).

Then go to the lost luggage area the next day.

It may be worth calling the airline that night to explain that you "forgot" to
take your bag.

Having had dealings with the lost luggage department at Newark
airport, I strongly advise against that. First, after calling
endlessly and always getting a busy signal, I drove to the airport, a
considerable distance from my home. The office was staffed by people
who made it plain that they thought looking for lost luggage was a
hilarious concept. They told me with no hesitation that the phone was
never answered and that they had fixed it to be always busy.

My visit went downhill from there.

--------
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.
Old April 18th, 2004, 10:52 PM
Miguel Cruz

B Vaughan wrote:
Having had dealings with the lost luggage department at Newark airport, I
strongly advise against that. First, after calling endlessly and always
getting a busy signal, I drove to the airport, a considerable distance
from my home. The office was staffed by people who made it plain that they
thought looking for lost luggage was a hilarious concept. They told me
with no hesitation that the phone was never answered and that they had
fixed it to be always busy.

So what DO they do all day?

miguel
Old April 19th, 2004, 10:02 AM
B Vaughan

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 21:52:06 GMT, Miguel Cruz wrote:

B Vaughan wrote:
Having had dealings with the lost luggage department at Newark airport, I
strongly advise against that. First, after calling endlessly and always
getting a busy signal, I drove to the airport, a considerable distance
from my home. The office was staffed by people who made it plain that they
thought looking for lost luggage was a hilarious concept. They told me
with no hesitation that the phone was never answered and that they had
fixed it to be always busy.

So what DO they do all day?

The person staffing the desk was engaged in a personal phone call the
entire time I was there and didn't even blink to acknowledge the
presence of a person standing before her. The person with whom I spoke
happened to pass by after some time had passed and I waylaid him. His
response to me provoked giggles and snickers from other staff, who
seemed to spend their day belly aching and "doing the dozens" on each
other. The scene really could have inspired a Bosch painting.

Maybe they respond to official enquiries from an airline, but in my
case, I was looking for a coat my daughter had left in the overhead
bin and the airline wouldn't take responsibility for it. I asked to be
allowed to look in the lost luggage room, and this man opened a door
to show me a room overflowing with stuff and no room to even walk.
This prompted more mirth from the staff.

I thought of filing an official complaint, but some things just aren't
worth the indigestion they cause me.

I've noticed that some work places have one evil genius who creates a
poisonous atmosphere. There's really nothing to be done with such
places short of firing the lot of them and starting over, which really
isn't possible. Some police stations have the same sort of culture of
blatant outrageousness. They try shifting personnel from one station
to another, but they rarely get rid of the source of the trouble.
--------