How can Carnival do this - Holiday Ship - What happened to the ship?

Old December 30th, 2004, 07:47 PM

Default How can Carnival do this - Holiday Ship - What happened to the ship?

Holiday Cruise Ship leaving 12-30-2004

I just got a call from an very upset friend waiting to board the
Holiday at the Mobile, Alabama port.

All they know is something with the ship is broken.

They said they each were issued $100 onboard credit, and the Holiday
New Year Cruise the Western Carribean has had the itinerary changed to
a cruise to NOWHERE. No other explanation.

As everyone knows - the prices are much higher at this time of year and
$200 per cabin is not much compensation. Seems like they could at
least go to Key West, FL.

Does anyone know what happened to the ship?
What options do passengers have?

Old December 31st, 2004, 10:54 PM
Bobbye

http://www.al.com/news/mobileregiste...8826574620.xml

It looks like they did offer to let the people get a refund if they didn't
want to cruise.

Bobbye

wrote in message
oups.com...
I call this being .

They have been having engine trouble for the last 2 weeks.

Carnival never attempted to call any passengers at home to notify them
of the changes.

Christmas and New Years Cruises are the most expensive prices and
Carnival makes their best profits from these cruises, no matter how
deceitful they have to be to get a passenger's money.

Old January 1st, 2005, 04:40 AM
Tom & Linda

Thanks. Happy New Year to you and everyone else.

--Tom

"Dick Goldhaber" wrote in message
Hey, Tom and Linda,

I haven't seen the ball drop in Times Square for at least a decade, but I
absolutely will this evening.

A Happy New Year to the two of you from the three of us.
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

"Tom & Linda" wrote in message
Just Fake It. Then read it.

"David Gee" wrote in message
They want me to register to look at a news clipping?
Not bloody likely! Slimy list spammers ....

http://www.al.com/news/mobileregiste...448826574620.x

Old January 1st, 2005, 07:14 PM
David C Jacobson

"David Gee" wrote in message
They want me to register to look at a news clipping?
Not bloody likely! Slimy list spammers ...

Here is the article, from Friday's Mobile Register:

David Jacobson
Baton Rouge

Ship problems mar New Year's cruise on Carnival's Holiday
Friday, December 31, 2004
By EDDIE CURRAN
Staff Reporter
Barry Jones and his wife, Elizabeth, drove seven hours from Athens, Ga., to
Mobile's cruise-ship terminal. He was anticipating a walk among the Mayan
ruins near Cozumel, and she was looking forward to basking in the warm
Caribbean rays aboard Carnival's cruise ship Holiday.

But Thursday afternoon, cruise-line officials told the Joneses and some
1,700 others that the Holiday, slowed by mechanical problems, couldn't reach
Cozumel and instead would simply motor around in the Gulf of Mexico until
Monday.

In an effort to put a good face on the situation, Carnival officials dubbed
the four-day voyage the "Cruise-To-Nowhere."

"They told us it might only go 30 or 40 miles south of here," said Jones, in
explaining why he and his wife chose to get their money back rather than
stay aboard.

"We're just going to float about in the water?" said another man, upon
arriving at the terminal gate and hearing the news.

Those who proceeded with the voyage are receiving a $100-per-passenger
credit on their Sail & Sign shipboard account, which can be used for drinks,
spa treatments, gift shop items and virtually anything for sale on the ship,
said Carnival public relations manager Vance Gullikson.

"Believe me, we apologize for this," Gullikson said. "This is not something
we plan on. We feel terrible about disrupting people's plans, especially on
New Year's when it's a very popular time for vacation."

About 5 percent of the passengers canceled after learning the news,
Gullikson said.

"Obviously, the vast majority opted to go on this cruise," he said.

Because of security, it was not possible for reporters to board the ship to
interview passengers. As a result, most of those who could be reached for
comment were departing, including Jim Thornton of Nashville.

"I'll tell you, to drive all the way down here, it puts a very sour taste in
your mouth," Thornton said. "They're just going to go out in the Gulf and
circle around. I don't need to spend $1,500 cruising around in the Gulf of
Mexico."

Thornton and his wife, Margaret, arrived in the morning and spent most of
the day on the Holiday, first preparing to enjoy their trip and the last two
hours waiting for staff to locate their luggage.

"There were an awful lot of sour people onboard," Jim Thornton said. "We saw
children crying. There were people who'd come down from places like Ohio and
Wisconsin."

A couple with two children had no time to talk about their decision to
cancel because -- as the man hurriedly said from the back seat of a taxi --
they had to be in Pensacola in an hour for a flight back to Massachusetts.

Originally, passengers were to spend Thursday night and today at sea and
arrive at Cozumel, the Mexican island resort, at 8 a.m. Saturday. They were
to spend nine hours in port and cruise back to Mobile, arriving at 8 a.m.
Monday.

The Holiday's condition not only puts a damper on this weekend's trip but
also raises concerns about the ship's next venture, a five-day cruise
scheduled to depart late Monday afternoon.

As soon as the Holiday concludes the Cruise-To-Nowhere, company technicians
will board the ship in an effort to fix the problem in time for that
afternoon's departure.

"The only thing we can tell them (passengers on Monday's trip) is that we're
still assessing this and will have more information as we get closer to the
departure date," Gullikson said.

The Holiday, the only cruise ship that operates out of Mobile, is the
smallest and oldest vessel in Carnival's fleet.

The company's inaugural voyage from Mobile left for Mexico on Oct. 16 from
Mobile Landing, site of the $20 million cruise terminal built for Carnival's
use.

On Thursday afternoon, incoming passengers arriving at the terminal parking
garage were handed written notices of the ship's problems. The flier
explained why the Holiday wouldn't be going to Cozumel and informed
passengers that they could get a refund or, if they chose to sail, receive
the $100 spending credit.

One couple, Elwood Hogan and Elizabeth Hogan of Gulf Shores, said they were
disappointed with the news but chose to go anyway.

Their main purpose was to be aboard at midnight to celebrate New Year's, and
that's where they'd be regardless of the change in plans.

Unlike Jim Thornton, Elwood Hogan -- who left the ship and was returning to
board -- said he hadn't heard many complaints, and "I'm a little surprised,"
he said.

Thornton and his wife also criticized Carnival for not providing something
in addition to a straight refund, as airlines often do when they bump
passengers from a flight.

"There were no decent apologies, and the ones who were most helpful finding
our luggage were the dock workers," Jim Thornton said.

As of late Thursday, Gullikson was unable to say how far south the boat
would sail. He said he believed the ship would "take a slow sail around the
ocean, just a nice relaxing sail and then come back into port" on Monday.

Old January 1st, 2005, 09:15 PM
Dillon Pyron

Thus spake "Tom & Linda" :

Just Fake It. Then read it.

www.bugmenot.com

wrote in message
oups.com...
I call this being .

They have been having engine trouble for the last 2 weeks.

Carnival never attempted to call any passengers at home to notify them
of the changes.

Christmas and New Years Cruises are the most expensive prices and
Carnival makes their best profits from these cruises, no matter how
deceitful they have to be to get a passenger's money.

--
dillon

"When the French are against it, you know we can't
be far wrong." - Adm. Bobbie Ray Inman
Old January 2nd, 2005, 08:06 PM
Eden

I'm not someone who takes every opportunity to accuse corporations of
being greedy at the expense of passengers. But, if they can't provide
a satisfactory level of service to passengers on the Holiday, why do
they risk their reputation by keeping the ship running in this
condition?

Carnival is the #1 cruise company for one reason (they even bought out
Princess with the money they brought in). People want to cheap out
and they are the ones to give it to them. There is no shortage of
people who want "hit and run" 3-5 day cruising experiences for cheap.

Cruises are not something that should be scrimped on. People want or
expect the best but want only want to pay Asian sweat shop prices.

If you want good, you will have to pay for it but if you want cheap-O,
you get cheap-O. Next Christmas, go to the dollar store and buy all
of the children in your life $1 toys. See how long they last and how
happy they are with them. You get what you pay for.

Old January 2nd, 2005, 08:26 PM
Tony Rush

I think you misunderstood my point. I'm not justifying their lack of
quality....I'm questioning why they'd continue to do something that's
not top-notch.

The last cruise I went on was a Empress deck room on the Conquest to
Western Caribbean. I agree -- you get what you pay for.

Tony

Old January 3rd, 2005, 03:46 AM
Dillon Pyron

Thus spake Charles :

In article , Tony Rush
wrote:

This s slightly offtopic but my father-in-law and his wife just
returned from their first cruise ever. They'd chosen a 5-day out of
Mobile on the Holiday and came back not very excited. They said
the food wasn't good at all and other passengers were also
complaining.

Was this one of the cruises affected by the Holiday engine problems?
That might have put people in a sour mood. Also I think someone posted
that the Holiday is the oldest ship in the fleet. From what I have read
the food isn't as good on the older Carnival ships as the newer builds.
I have been on one Carnival ship, one of the newest, Miracle and the
food was very good. I would not cruise Carnival again except under
exceptional circumstances, because they are a poor fit for me, not my
general style, but it is a good fit for many who feel comfortable
onboard Carnival.

We were on the Celebration last year. Pretty happy with the food and
service. Talked to some people from the Holiday, they weren't too
happy. Maybe it's a ship problem.

Old January 3rd, 2005, 06:23 PM
Marsha L

Can you imagine the furor if CCL had canceled the cruise? All those people,
with air and hotel rooms paid for and then with nothing to do once they got
to Mobile? Not even a room to stay in because it might well have been
booked? Over NEW YEAR'S EVE? Just what else do you think they should have
done? These people were given a choice, they may have missed going to
Cozumel, but at least they didn't lose out on their party venue and they
were give $100 credit per cabin.

ups.com...

Old January 4th, 2005, 02:04 AM
jsmith

Take the cruise line to small claims court. You may be lucky enough to have
a sympathetic judge. In fact we all should start using this tactic as a
weapon against these arrogant travel conglomerates. Sooner or later they MAY
get the message.

ups.com...