Is this NG becoming unuseable?

Old August 22nd, 2006, 10:22 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Marc Lurie[_1_]

Default Is this NG becoming unuseable?

I have been subscribing to rec.travel.africa for about 10 years now. I
have recently noticed a huge amount of rubbish here that has nothing
to do with travel in Africa.

I've also noticed an enormous immigration into the NG of posters who
contribute nothing but repeated, mindless drivel.

There was a time, not so long ago, where the conversations here were
sensible, focussed, and meaningful. Many questions were responsibly
answered, and loads of useable information was shared. This is no
longer the case, and it seems that the majority of postings here
revolve around some-or-other slanging match between personallities who
shouldn't (perhaps) be here in the first place.

Do the "old-timers" agree, or am I being reactionary?

Regards,
Marc - Johannesburg

Old August 22nd, 2006, 01:14 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
riverman[_1_]

"Marc Lurie" wrote in message
I have been subscribing to rec.travel.africa for about 10 years now. I
have recently noticed a huge amount of rubbish here that has nothing
to do with travel in Africa.

I've also noticed an enormous immigration into the NG of posters who
contribute nothing but repeated, mindless drivel.

There was a time, not so long ago, where the conversations here were
sensible, focussed, and meaningful. Many questions were responsibly
answered, and loads of useable information was shared. This is no
longer the case, and it seems that the majority of postings here
revolve around some-or-other slanging match between personallities who
shouldn't (perhaps) be here in the first place.

Do the "old-timers" agree, or am I being reactionary?

Yes to both. I subscibe to a handful of NGs, and see the same deterioration
on all of them. It seems to come in cycles, and despite the drivel and spam,
some excellent new posters seem to trickle in with the riff-raff. I've
learned to just ignore or delete threads that are cluttering up the place,
and to recognize that certain posters traditionally and continually still
have something useful to say, so I always read their posts.

--riverman

Old August 22nd, 2006, 01:36 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Marie-Aude

Le Tue, 22 Aug 2006 20:14:57 +0800, riverman a écrit :

Do the "old-timers" agree, or am I being reactionary?

Yes to both. I subscibe to a handful of NGs, and see the same deterioration
on all of them. It seems to come in cycles, and despite the drivel and spam,
some excellent new posters seem to trickle in with the riff-raff. I've
learned to just ignore or delete threads that are cluttering up the place,
and to recognize that certain posters traditionally and continually still
have something useful to say, so I always read their posts.

Couldn't say better. But being reactionnary might be good thing also to
preserve a newsgroup...

--
Marie-Aude
www.trassagere.com
Old August 22nd, 2006, 01:59 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
riverman[_1_]

"Marc Lurie" wrote in message
I have been subscribing to rec.travel.africa for about 10 years now. I
have recently noticed a huge amount of rubbish here that has nothing
to do with travel in Africa.

Meanwhile, I seem to have been completely wrong in my prediction of what
would happen in DRC after the elections. :-/

--riverman

Old August 22nd, 2006, 04:30 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Marc Lurie[_1_]

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 20:59:50 +0800, "riverman"
wrote:

Meanwhile, I seem to have been completely wrong in my prediction of what
would happen in DRC after the elections. :-/

--riverman

Yup, I'm afraid so. I see that our ambasador was evacuated from
Kinshasa after his residence came under shellfire yesterday.

Most of my clients (especially those in the east) are making plans to
evacuate at VERY short notice if necessary.

We'll just wait and see what happens...
Old August 22nd, 2006, 04:34 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Marc Lurie[_1_]

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 20:14:57 +0800, "riverman"
wrote:

Yes to both. I subscibe to a handful of NGs, and see the same deterioration
on all of them. It seems to come in cycles, and despite the drivel and spam,
some excellent new posters seem to trickle in with the riff-raff. I've
learned to just ignore or delete threads that are cluttering up the place,
and to recognize that certain posters traditionally and continually still
have something useful to say, so I always read their posts.

--riverman

But there's so much rubbish to wade through just to get to one or two
sensible threads that makes me think that it's just easier not to use
the NG.

Anyway, I hope the idiots tire soon and leave us be.
Old August 22nd, 2006, 04:37 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Marc Lurie[_1_]

On 22 Aug 2006 06:27:29 -0700, wrote:

welcome to usenet

That's NOT an answer.