denmark

Old May 1st, 2015, 07:59 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Default denmark

I can't tell how much I'm spending without my iPad's currency converter,
but other than that, Denmark is a wonderful and wonderfully civilized
country 8-) Tomorrow the major part of the sightseeing gets moving here in
the Faroes.

--
biblioholic medievalist
Old May 2nd, 2015, 09:43 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

"Erilar" wrote in message
I can't tell how much I'm spending without my iPad's currency converter,

As a Brit, Denmark is easy. It's had a 10 to 1 exchange rate for most of
the past 20 years.

Even as an American I would have thought that using 10 to 1 gets you close
enough. It will just make the cost of things in DK look reasonable instead
of the humongously expensive reality.

but other than that, Denmark is a wonderful and wonderfully civilized
country 8-) Tomorrow the major part of the sightseeing gets moving here in
the Faroes.

As someone with a Historical bent I've never found much of interest in DK

Apart from "Hamlet's" [1] castle, the Viking ship museum and a couple of
"palaces" in the city, what is there?

Of course, you can always spend an hour visiting "the second most
underwhelming world-famous-statue in a European capital" (that's 29 minutes
each way to walk there and 10 seconds to take the compulsory photo).

And students of literature will want to visit Karen Blixen's house

tim

[1] I don't know why it seems necessary to put that in quotes, it really is
Hamlet's castle. I suppose the point is that Hamlet wasn't a real person,
presumably, as the castle is real, the character in the play was a
caricature of a real person. But I could be completely wrong here

Old May 2nd, 2015, 11:02 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin

As someone with a Historical bent I've never found much of interest
in DK

Apart from "Hamlet's" [1] castle, the Viking ship museum and
a couple of "palaces" in the city, what is there?

Of course, you can always spend an hour visiting "the second
most underwhelming world-famous-statue in a European capital"
(that's 29 minutes each way to walk there and 10 seconds to take
the compulsory photo).

And students of literature will want to visit Karen Blixen's house

Lego. And pig farming.

http://www.quadrantaustralia.com/Far...candinavia.asp
http://www.ciwf.org.uk/our-campaigns...nvestigations/

Old May 2nd, 2015, 11:28 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_3_]

On Saturday, May 2, 2015 at 11:02:56 AM UTC+1, Jack Campin wrote:
As someone with a Historical bent I've never found much of interest
in DK

Apart from "Hamlet's" [1] castle, the Viking ship museum and
a couple of "palaces" in the city, what is there?

Of course, you can always spend an hour visiting "the second
most underwhelming world-famous-statue in a European capital"
(that's 29 minutes each way to walk there and 10 seconds to take
the compulsory photo).

And students of literature will want to visit Karen Blixen's house

Lego. And pig farming.

http://www.quadrantaustralia.com/Far...candinavia.asp
http://www.ciwf.org.uk/our-campaigns...nvestigations/

Lego's at Windsor, UK.
Old May 2nd, 2015, 01:55 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 02 May 2015 11:02:53 +0100, Jack Campin
wrote:

As someone with a Historical bent I've never found much of interest
in DK

Apart from "Hamlet's" [1] castle, the Viking ship museum and
a couple of "palaces" in the city, what is there?

The rest of Denmark?

but it's "boring"

Of course, you can always spend an hour visiting "the second
most underwhelming world-famous-statue in a European capital"
(that's 29 minutes each way to walk there and 10 seconds to take
the compulsory photo).

And students of literature will want to visit Karen Blixen's house

Lego. And pig farming.

As a customer with a contractor paying eat & drink in a restaurant in
Tivoli
Gardens.

Avoid Havn when the Swedish drunks are arriving by ferry.

Mostly drunks in Scandinavia arrive by ferry where they've had the chance to
imbibe duty free on the journey

and ISTM than Sweden isn't far enough away for that

tim

Old May 2nd, 2015, 06:59 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin

Avoid Havn when the Swedish drunks are arriving by ferry.
Mostly drunks in Scandinavia arrive by ferry where
they've had the chance to imbibe duty free on the journey
and ISTM than Sweden isn't far enough away for that

Does a sufficiently large quantity of duty-free make British
and German drunks verbally indistinguishable from Swedes?

It would be rather like those mediaeval experiments to see
whether children brought up with no exposure to language
would end up speaking Hebrew.

Old May 3rd, 2015, 03:26 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

On 2015-05-02 08:43:40 +0000, tim..... said:

As someone with a Historical bent I've never found much of interest in DK

Apart from "Hamlet's" [1] castle, the Viking ship museum and a couple
of "palaces" in the city, what is there?

Of course, you can always spend an hour visiting "the second most
underwhelming world-famous-statue in a European capital" (that's 29
minutes each way to walk there and 10 seconds to take the compulsory
photo).

And students of literature will want to visit Karen Blixen's house

tim

The area to the north of Fredrickshaven has a bleak charm to it. There
is a lighthouse at the end, where you can climb to the top.
Fredrickshaven is also the ferry point to Norway.

--
Dan Stephenson
http://stepheda.com

Old May 3rd, 2015, 09:49 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_3_]

On Saturday, May 2, 2015 at 11:54:12 AM UTC+1, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 2 May 2015 03:28:23 -0700 (PDT), Surreyman
wrote:

On Saturday, May 2, 2015 at 11:02:56 AM UTC+1, Jack Campin wrote:
As someone with a Historical bent I've never found much of interest
in DK

Apart from "Hamlet's" [1] castle, the Viking ship museum and
a couple of "palaces" in the city, what is there?

Of course, you can always spend an hour visiting "the second
most underwhelming world-famous-statue in a European capital"
(that's 29 minutes each way to walk there and 10 seconds to take
the compulsory photo).

And students of literature will want to visit Karen Blixen's house

Lego. And pig farming.

http://www.quadrantaustralia.com/Far...candinavia.asp
http://www.ciwf.org.uk/our-campaigns...nvestigations/

Lego's at Windsor, UK.

and pig farming is almost everywhere in UK.

and that Tivoli is near Rome.

Did you know that Lego was originally a British company that was sold to the
current owners for Ł40,000?
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

I didn't realise that background - but looks more like Lego stole the UK patented brick and, years later, bought the UK company to keep all legal after all!
Old May 4th, 2015, 02:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Frank Hucklenbroich

Am Sat, 02 May 2015 18:59:45 +0100 schrieb Jack Campin:

Avoid Havn when the Swedish drunks are arriving by ferry.

Mostly drunks in Scandinavia arrive by ferry where
they've had the chance to imbibe duty free on the journey
and ISTM than Sweden isn't far enough away for that

Does a sufficiently large quantity of duty-free make British
and German drunks verbally indistinguishable from Swedes?

Alcohol is rather cheap in Germany, so they don't have to go on a ferry to
get cheap booze.

Regards,

Frank
Old May 4th, 2015, 08:40 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Surreyman wrote:
On Saturday, May 2, 2015 at 11:02:56 AM UTC+1, Jack Campin wrote:
As someone with a Historical bent I've never found much of interest
in DK

Apart from "Hamlet's" [1] castle, the Viking ship museum and
a couple of "palaces" in the city, what is there?

Of course, you can always spend an hour visiting "the second
most underwhelming world-famous-statue in a European capital"
(that's 29 minutes each way to walk there and 10 seconds to take
the compulsory photo).

And students of literature will want to visit Karen Blixen's house

Lego. And pig farming.

http://www.quadrantaustralia.com/Far...candinavia.asp
http://www.ciwf.org.uk/our-campaigns...nvestigations/

Lego's at Windsor, UK.