Help to access rec.travel.cruises

Old January 29th, 2006, 03:32 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Help to access rec.travel.cruises

Rosalie B. wrote:

Rosalie B. wrote:

Sue and Kevin Mullen wrote:

You can get the posts as
individual emails or digests. It isn't too bad if you are
following only one group.

Actually I was wrong about that - it is either a digest with all
the text or an abridged digest with just the summary, or you can go
and read it on the internet.

OK, now I see what you meant. On google you can select the way you
read any newsgroup, "view titles only" or "view with message text".
This is still viewing it on the internet, using the google websites.

Are you sure you aren't confusing google and yahoo groups here?
Yahoo groups do give you the choice of emails or digest, but you
can't access newsgroups from yahoo. As far as I know, I don't
think you can access google, other then on the website.

Well if it is yahoo, they are calling themselves google. I did the
digest thing while I was in Santo Domingo a couple of weeks ago
with three groups. One of them was this one, but I've deleted all
those emails. The only ones I have left are like this one

To: "rec.boats.cruising digest subscribers"
Subject: 8 new messages in 4
topics - digest From: "rec.boats.cruising group"
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 13:48:50 +0000

rec.boats.cruising
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.boats.cruising

It could be that these groups are set up so you can get them via email
as well as on the google site. As I was reading your post this
morning, I remembered a list that I used to belong to, where I could
access it via google or get it as individual emails or as email
digests. There are some newsgroups/lists that are set up this way, but
I believe the majority of newsgroups can only be read using a
newsreader/server set up or by using google.

The link for this group (rec.travel.cruises) is
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.t...cruises?lnk=li

Yes, this is RTC via google and as far as I can see, it is only
available on the website, not via emails.

sue
Old January 29th, 2006, 04:52 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Sue and Kevin Mullen wrote:
Rosalie B. wrote:

Well if it is yahoo, they are calling themselves google. I did the
digest thing while I was in Santo Domingo a couple of weeks ago
with three groups. One of them was this one, but I've deleted all
those emails. The only ones I have left are like this one

To: "rec.boats.cruising digest subscribers"
topics - digest From: "rec.boats.cruising group"
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 13:48:50 +0000

rec.boats.cruising
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.boats.cruising

It could be that these groups are set up so you can get them via email
as well as on the google site. As I was reading your post this
morning, I remembered a list that I used to belong to, where I could
access it via google or get it as individual emails or as email
digests. There are some newsgroups/lists that are set up this way, but
I believe the majority of newsgroups can only be read using a
newsreader/server set up or by using google.

The link for this group (rec.travel.cruises) is
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.t...cruises?lnk=li

Yes, this is RTC via google and as far as I can see, it is only
available on the website, not via emails.

You are ***WRONG*** about this. It **IS** available via emails.

This is NOT a special group - I can get ALL the newsgroups that I want
to get via email from Google. I just can't handle reading more than
three of them that way especially if they are active. Plus I cut down
on the number of posts by killfiling some threads and people, so I
normally get less than the total number of posts.

As I said above I got this newsgroup and 2 others via email for
several weeks this month (Jan 5-16, 2006). When I got back to the US
and was able to get the group normally, I erased all the emails from
this group. I only kept some of rec.boats.cruising because I had some
items that I wanted to respond to, and I still have them because I
haven't had a chance quite yet.

I also got those three newsgroups in October/November of 2005 - while
I was on cruise (Oct 22-Nov 6, 2005).

You go to the internet and sign up and say how you want to get each
newsgroup.

grandma Rosalie
Old January 29th, 2006, 05:26 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Rosalie B. wrote:
Sue and Kevin Mullen wrote:

Rosalie B. wrote:

Well if it is yahoo, they are calling themselves google. I did the
digest thing while I was in Santo Domingo a couple of weeks ago
with three groups. One of them was this one, but I've deleted all
those emails. The only ones I have left are like this one

To: "rec.boats.cruising digest subscribers"
topics - digest From: "rec.boats.cruising group"
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 13:48:50 +0000

rec.boats.cruising
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.boats.cruising

It could be that these groups are set up so you can get them via email
as well as on the google site. As I was reading your post this
morning, I remembered a list that I used to belong to, where I could
access it via google or get it as individual emails or as email
digests. There are some newsgroups/lists that are set up this way, but
I believe the majority of newsgroups can only be read using a
newsreader/server set up or by using google.

The link for this group (rec.travel.cruises) is
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.t...cruises?lnk=li

Yes, this is RTC via google and as far as I can see, it is only
available on the website, not via emails.

You are ***WRONG*** about this. It **IS** available via emails.

If I am ***WRONG***, can you give me a link that I can use to get
google newsgroups via email??? Since it is a long time since I used
google, other then as a search engine, I went and took a look and
found this link:
http://groups.google.com/support/bin...9075&topic=245
Copy and paste from link above:

""Can I post to Usenet groups via email?
No, we don't offer a NNTP service at this time. However, if you create
your own Google Group, you and your group members will be able to post
to it via email.""

This is NOT a special group - I can get ALL the newsgroups that I want
to get via email from Google.

SNIP

You go to the internet and sign up and say how you want to get each
newsgroup.

Can you give me a link to where someone would select getting something
like RTC via email? I have looked and don't see that as an option. The
only thing I see that might have something to do with this, is the
email alerts you can get via email. I don't think that is what you are
talking about.

sue
Old January 29th, 2006, 05:42 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

In article , Sue and Kevin Mullen
wrote:

Can you give me a link to where someone would select getting something
like RTC via email? I have looked and don't see that as an option. The
only thing I see that might have something to do with this, is the
email alerts you can get via email. I don't think that is what you are
talking about.

When you subscribe to a group on google groups you can set your
preferences to recieve messages by abridged email one message a day or
as a digest of 25, no more than four a day. The default is no email.
You can change it later by selecting "change my membership' if it is a
subscribed group. Never tried this so I don't know what abridged means.

--
Charles
Old January 29th, 2006, 08:21 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Sue and Kevin Mullen wrote:
Rosalie B. wrote:
Sue and Kevin Mullen wrote:

Rosalie B. wrote:

Well if it is yahoo, they are calling themselves google. I did the
digest thing while I was in Santo Domingo a couple of weeks ago
with three groups. One of them was this one, but I've deleted all
those emails. The only ones I have left are like this one

To: "rec.boats.cruising digest subscribers"
topics - digest From: "rec.boats.cruising group"
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 13:48:50 +0000

rec.boats.cruising
[...]

No it isn't what I'm talking about and since I don't remember how I
got set up to begin with (I did it in October 2004), I can't really
give you any more links than I have done already. You go to Google
and click on the groups header and sign up and say what groups you
want and how you want to get them.

http://groups.google.com/intl/en/goo...our/index.html

This is what their FAQ says
http://groups.google.com/intl/en/goo...ut.html#signup

3. How do I sign up with Google Groups?

You can access public content on Google Groups without signing up for the service. But in order to use additional features (reading restricted groups, posting to groups, creating your own groups), you'll have to create a Google account. To do so, click the "Join" link in the menu on the left side of the screen and follow instructions; all you need is an email address.

Note: if you're a previous Google Groups user or a Gmail user, you can use your existing Google Account to sign into Google Groups.

I was already registered with Google to post to various newsgroups
from the internet, and I don't remember how I did that either.

grandma Rosalie
Old January 29th, 2006, 08:22 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

wrote:

Can you give me a link to where someone would select getting something
like RTC via email? I have looked and don't see that as an option. The
only thing I see that might have something to do with this, is the
email alerts you can get via email. I don't think that is what you are
talking about.

When you subscribe to a group on google groups you can set your
preferences to recieve messages by abridged email one message a day or
as a digest of 25, no more than four a day. The default is no email.
You can change it later by selecting "change my membership' if it is a
subscribed group. Never tried this so I don't know what abridged means.

Thanks Charles, I took a look and you are right, not that I doubted
what you said(grin). Even with an email option, I don't think google
is the way to read or post to a newsgroup, unless you are away from
your ISP.

sue
Old January 29th, 2006, 10:42 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Rosalie B. wrote:
Sue and Kevin Mullen wrote:

Rosalie B. wrote:

Sue and Kevin Mullen wrote:

Rosalie B. wrote:

Well if it is yahoo, they are calling themselves google. I did the
digest thing while I was in Santo Domingo a couple of weeks ago
with three groups. One of them was this one, but I've deleted all
those emails. The only ones I have left are like this one

To: "rec.boats.cruising digest subscribers"
topics - digest From: "rec.boats.cruising group"
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 13:48:50 +0000

rec.boats.cruising
[...]

If you look two posts back in this thread, Charles told me how to find
the information.
thanks,
sue
Old January 29th, 2006, 10:58 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Sue and Kevin Mullen wrote:

Rosalie B. wrote:
Sue and Kevin Mullen wrote:

Rosalie B. wrote:

Sue and Kevin Mullen wrote:

Rosalie B. wrote:

Well if it is yahoo, they are calling themselves google. I did the
digest thing while I was in Santo Domingo a couple of weeks ago
with three groups. One of them was this one, but I've deleted all
those emails. The only ones I have left are like this one

To: "rec.boats.cruising digest subscribers"
topics - digest From: "rec.boats.cruising group"
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 13:48:50 +0000

rec.boats.cruising
[...]

not trying to be a smart arse but how do you look back 2 post if the
post aren't all downloaded at the same time?
Once I read what post I'm interested in I mark all post read, so there
is nothing to look back at when I return.
Like now for instance, your response is the only one posted as of the
last time I downloaded the messages.

Bill

--
Visit my Caribbean Princess website:
www.cruisingthecaribbeanprincess.com
Old January 29th, 2006, 11:45 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Rosalie B. wrote:

I was already registered with Google to post to various newsgroups
from the internet, and I don't remember how I did that either.

OK - I switched my registration for this group to digest.

(Abbreviated digest is one email a day with just the headers I think)

To: "rec.travel.cruises digest subscribers"

Subject: 25 new messages in 8 topics - digest
From: "rec.travel.cruises group"
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 22:46:11 +0000

rec.travel.cruises
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.travel.cruises

Today's topics:

* Charles Schultz Philosophy - 2 messages, 2 authors

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.t...20b60c7b64609a
* Help to access rec.travel.cruises - 3 messages, 2 authors

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.t...806979e3e0a0de
* Grand Cayman - 1 messages, 1 author

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.t...c400fb58a8a9f3
* Bon Voyage from Philadelphia! - 8 messages, 5 authors

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.t...375ed56ade71ac
* Buying a digital camera - 6 messages, 6 authors

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.t...5d47b8c1811320
* Tipping Tips - 2 messages, 2 authors

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.t...7ca367b581d9f6
* No Pleasure Cruise - 1 messages, 1 author

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.t...061c35d3c7e9f5
* Quick Rhapsody Roundup -- okay, well it turned out to be not so
quick vbg -
2 messages, 2 authors

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.t...560736a9683203

TOPIC: Charles Schultz Philosophy
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.t...20b60c7b64609a

== 1 of 2 ==
Date: Sun, Jan 29 2006 12:13*pm
From: "

Yup...
My spelling is not a strong point, but working in the newspaper
industry, the common line is "I don't care what you say about me, just
spell my name right"

"I Know Nothing... NOTHING"

grandma Rosalie
Old January 29th, 2006, 11:53 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Rosalie B. wrote:

The link for this group (rec.travel.cruises) is
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.t...cruises?lnk=li

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.travel.cruises

suffices. Or simply use http://groups.google.com

to get to the newsgroup part, and type in the name of any newsgroup.

This is NOT a special group - I can get ALL the newsgroups that I want
to get via email from Google.

That is correct. One you signed up for one or more groups, they will
be
remembered (and listed) under "My Groups" while you're reading one of
the groups, and a click at the name of any of the other names in "My
Groups" will get you immediately to that group (to read or post).

I was already registered with Google to post to various newsgroups
from the internet, and I don't remember how I did that either.

grandma Rosalie

I now have 15 newsgroups in "My Groups". If I want to add any other
new group to that list, all I have to do is to invoke
http://groups.google.com,
type in the name of the newsgroup, and click "subscribe to this group",
and that group will be available henceforth in one click under "My
Groups".

-- Bob.