Report from the US, a nice but somewhat backward country.

Old December 13th, 2008, 07:03 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.australia+nz
Frank Slootweg

Default Report from the US, a nice but somewhat backward country.

pltrgyst wrote:
On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 05:48:49 GMT, "Sharx35" wrote:

Well, I have travelled in the U.S., too. After several dozen trips to the U.S.,
**MY** bad experiences are a fraction of yours. I suspect it might be due to
your arrogant Eurocentric, obviously chip on the shoulder attitude to U.S.
culture. I am not a U.S. resident nor a U.S. citizen, however I much prefer
to travel in the U.S., compared to the continent of Europe where the common
attitude is that "WE are the centre of the cultural universe
and the rest of the world are wannabes or boors". :Hell will freeze over
before I travel to the continent of decay, Europe.

Well, I'm pretty sure that at least 99% of us here in the US would rather have
Frank visit than you.

I'm not quite sure if that was a compliment or not! Afterall, all is
relative, isn't it? :-) I.e. something like "I would rather have a
broken leg than a missing eye!". :-)
Old December 13th, 2008, 07:48 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.australia+nz
John Kulp

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 01:51:42 GMT, "Sharx35"
wrote:

I just happen to BE a Canadian who does NOT take offense at the term "North
America".
You surly, thin-skinned, America-phobic European assholes should grow some
thicker
skins to match your thick skulls. If you don't like "North American"
culture, then stay the ****
out of this newsgroup or stay in some limp-wristed Euro group. Or, simply,
FOAD. Anyone with any
brains moved from Europe a LONG time ago.

They weren't stupid enough to go to Canada, that's for sure.

But seriously, please feel free to post anything you like or/and to
ignore me. After all, this is Usenet, isn't it, so anything goes. I just
thought it was funny that you responded to a posting with subject "...
US ..." and splattered all over with "US[A]" this, "US[A]" that, but gave
non-US related response. But then again, we Dutch are easily pleased.

Old December 13th, 2008, 07:50 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.australia+nz
John Kulp

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 01:58:12 GMT, "Sharx35"
wrote:

"John Kulp" wrote in message
On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 05:48:49 GMT, "Sharx35"
wrote:

If anyone has any doubts, we *loved* our trip and would do something
similar again in a flash, so you Seppos aren't all that bad!

Well, I have travelled in the U.S., too. After several dozen trips to the
U.S.,
**MY** bad experiences are a fraction of yours. I suspect it might be due
your arrogant Eurocentric, obviously chip on the shoulder attitude to U.S.
culture. I am not a U.S. resident nor a U.S. citizen, however I much
prefer
to travel in the U.S., compared
to the continent of Europe where the common attitude is that "WE are the
centre of the cultural universe
and the rest of the world are wannabes or boors". :Hell will freeze over
before I
travel to the continent of decay, Europe.

With your sense of humor, they will miss you like they do the bubonic
plague.

I have a GREAT sense of humour, however I do NOT suffer Eurocentric fools
gladly. If
they don't like it here in NORTH AMERICA, let them stay the **** AWAY.

Better you stay away with your moronic views.
Old December 13th, 2008, 07:51 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.australia+nz
John Kulp

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 03:06:16 GMT, "Sharx35"
wrote:

"Dick Adams" wrote in message
Sharx35 wrote:

I have a GREAT sense of humour,

You fooled most of us.

however I do NOT suffer Eurocentric fools gladly.

Frome wence did you ancestors come?

If they don't like it here in NORTH AMERICA, let them stay the **** AWAY.

Alas a true Isolationist. Have you no need for tourist dollars?

Dick

Where I live, in Alberta, NO...absolutely not.

He'll be after the French Canadians next if he hasn't been already.
Old December 13th, 2008, 07:53 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.australia+nz
John Kulp

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 01:54:24 GMT, "Sharx35"
wrote:

(Without looking them up,) Most of the places you mention don't ring a
bell. To be clear, we visited only California (and a tiny bit (Pahrump)
of Nevada) and only a *part* of CA (see above).

If you don't like the way we do things in North America, STAY THE **** AWAY.
Many of us here
have NO PLANS to spend one bloody cent in ****ing Europe.

Most of his mindless party of one, that is, much to the relief of
Europeans.
Old December 13th, 2008, 07:54 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.australia+nz
John Kulp

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 02:10:18 GMT, "Sharx35"
wrote:

"John Kulp" wrote in message
On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 11:00:11 GMT, "Sharx35"
wrote:

Luckily - to no suprise - all others picked up on my humo[u]r, irony,
sarcasm, self-infliction, etc.. So if you didn't/don't like it, tough!

Bull ****ing ****. You bitched, whined and moaned throughout 90% of your
snivelling post. FOAD, already.

Which goes to show you're just the dumb humorless moron he said you
were.

You've just confirmed your identify as that of a NON-North American DNA
defective idiot.

Really? Born, bred and served in the US military, which gives me a
much better claim to being one that some draft dodger hiding Canuck.
Old December 13th, 2008, 07:56 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.australia+nz
John Kulp

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 02:11:29 GMT, "Sharx35"
wrote:

(Without looking them up,) Most of the places you mention don't ring a
bell. To be clear, we visited only California (and a tiny bit (Pahrump)
of Nevada) and only a *part* of CA (see above).

It's obvious how low Colorado has sunk when one examines the results of the
Nov./08 election.

Not as low as Canada which allows foul-mouthed cretins like you
around.
Old December 13th, 2008, 08:01 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.australia+nz
John Kulp

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 17:09:48 +0100, Frank Slootweg
wrote:

Which is exactly why we exclude it here, keeping our taxes much lower
than yours by constantly pointing out how much of the total price it
is.

Well, your *product* (i.e. sales, VAT, whatever) taxes are not that
much lower. You are probably thinking about income tax, social
securrity, etc..

Excuse me? Our sales taxes range from zero to around 8%. In Sweden,
they are something like 25%. According to a search I did, the general
VAT in The Netherlands is 19%. Just how is that not much different
from ours?

Anyway, we don't have to be reminded how much the tax is, because they
are fixed percentages and - at least in The Netherlands - only two
categories, simply put 'essential' products like some foods, etc., and
'luxury' products, nearly everything else.. While a certain poster would
probably not believe it, most Europeans are able to remember two
numbers! :-)

It's not remembering two numbers that is the point. It's remembering
they are 19% versus 6% or so. And, though not an European, I was in
New Zealand once (close enough) and an immigration official muttered
about how he didn't like the fact that our currency is all one color,
unlike theirs. I asked him if they didn't teach him numbers in NZ.
Old December 13th, 2008, 09:10 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.australia+nz
Frank Slootweg

wrote:

Which is exactly why we exclude it here, keeping our taxes much lower
than yours by constantly pointing out how much of the total price it
is.

Well, your *product* (i.e. sales, VAT, whatever) taxes are not that
much lower. You are probably thinking about income tax, social
securrity, etc..

Excuse me? Our sales taxes range from zero to around 8%. In Sweden,
they are something like 25%. According to a search I did, the general
VAT in The Netherlands is 19%. Just how is that not much different
from ours?

I'm confused! When you're talking about "ours" are you talking about
the US or Canada? *I* am obviously talking about the US and specifically
about California (and a little about Nevada).

I just took the stack of receipts we have. The *very first*, a toy
car, is already 8.5%, i.e. already *above* the maximum you mention. The
*second* one, a meal, is already 12.3%! The *third*, a motel bill, is
12%. Doesn't really stimulate me to look any further, does it? And I
know for sure that in San Francisco we paid 14% on the motel bill. What
I remember was mostly around 12%, hence my comment ("not that much
lower").

So either there's some confusion somewhere, or that "constantly
pointing out how much of the total price it [the tax] is", isn't really
working, is it?