New York to Washington DC by Car

Old September 14th, 2003, 02:49 AM

Default New York to Washington DC by Car

D.C. is geared for tourists. Millions of visitors come here every
year. The parts of Washington that attracts tourists -- the National
Mall, monuments, memorials, theatres, gardens, galleries -- are among
the cleanest and safest in the world.

Snow during the holidays is a rarity. Significant amounts of snow any
time is a rarity. I've lived here for 30+ years and I don't remember a
white Christmas in all that time. In fact, during the whole 20th
century there were only four times when we had more than 16 inches of
snow and they were in the late autumn or late winter.
http://www.lauren.org/storm/record.htm

Driving between New York and Washington is a borning 4-hour trip. My
wife doesn't mind so we do so on rare occasions, but we usually fly. I
prefer the train -- it is the most civilized way to travel.

By all means visit Washington during the holidays.

-Brian

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 20:35:46 +0100, "Tony Fletcher"
wrote:

Hi,
We're going to New York City at christmas. We have 3 spare days and would
like to go to DC to see the sights. We've been onto the web and a car seems
the cheapest option, but the weathe in NY, Md and DC at Christmas is a bit
of a worry. If it snows, will the Interstates be clear? Also, is it a good
choice to drive from NYC to DC?

Any advice appreciated.

Tony & Christine Fletcher (UK)

Old September 14th, 2003, 06:54 AM
Jon Bell

In article ,
wrote:
[in Washington DC]
Snow during the holidays is a rarity. Significant amounts of snow any
time is a rarity. I've lived here for 30+ years and I don't remember a
white Christmas in all that time. In fact, during the whole 20th
century there were only four times when we had more than 16 inches of
snow and they were in the late autumn or late winter.
http://www.lauren.org/storm/record.htm

Move the cutoff point down to 8-12 inches and you'll pick up a few more
occasions. For instance, March, 1999:

http://web.presby.edu/~jtbell/transit/Washington/Metro/KingExterior.jpg
http://web.presby.edu/~jtbell/transit/Washington/Metro/Cemetery.jpg
http://web.presby.edu/~jtbell/transit/Washington/Metro/Grosvenor.jpg

I remember standing at the window of my hotel room in Rosslyn, watching
cars try to climb the hill next to the hotel, make it half way up, then
slide back down again.

--
Jon Bell Presbyterian College
Old September 14th, 2003, 07:58 AM
Miguel Cruz

Jon Bell wrote:
I remember standing at the window of my hotel room in Rosslyn, watching
cars try to climb the hill next to the hotel, make it half way up, then
slide back down again.

I live on a hill in DC and it's quite amusing to look out the window when it
snows.

People always seem to drive too slow or too fast and thus lose control of
their cars. You can spot the occasional pro moving at a reasonable pace but
then they get stuck behind someone piddling along and sliding left and
right, and then the pro gets loused up too.

Perhaps the driver's test needs to include a snow simulation.

miguel
Site remodeled 10-Sept-2003: Hundreds of new photos, easier navigation.