Spirit of Tasmania II and on time running

Old February 14th, 2004, 04:20 AM
Tony Bailey

Default Spirit of Tasmania II and on time running

Spirit of Tasmania III and the Timetable.

The timetable for the operation of "Spirit of Tasmania III" between Sydney
and Devonport appears to be a little optimistic to say the least.

The advertised timetable shows 3 sailings per week in each direction,
departing at 1500 and arriving at the opposite port at 1130. This gives a
running time of 20 hrs. 30 mins. and a turn around time of 3 hrs. 30 mins.
at each port. The apparent cruising speed is 27.5 knots. But is this also
the maximum speed? I ask this because it seems that this journey time can
only be achieved under very optimal conditions. This makes me suspect that
someone has made a theoretical calculation, not allowed for any problems and
published this theoretical timetable as the actual timetable. The ship has
some recovery time in Devonport from Wednesday morning to Thursday
afternoon.

My family and I went to Tassie on the 2nd sailing ex-Sydney on Friday 16th
of January, returning on Monday 26th of January.

On the southbound journey we had checked the arrival with TT Line and were
told the 'ship was slightly late but would load and depart on time". We sat
for some time in the loading queue at Walsh Bay and soon realised that the
ship was still unloading. Eventually we were told to go and get some
refreshments and return to our vehicle at 1530! (It eventually transpired
that the ship had indeed arrived late and that a very low car had 'bottomed'
on the ramp and a Fork Lift was required to get it off!)

The ship started loading at about 1630 and, despite a pretty full load, we
actually commenced moving at about 1730. We had anticipated seeing two
cruise ships in the harbour, indeed a P&O vessel was behind us and left on
time - as apparently did the Star vessel at Circular Quay - for it was gone
by the time we passed under the Harbour Bridge.

The ship is a worthwhile experience and, as stated on "Getaway" the other
night should be treated as a short distance cruise rather than as a ferry.
But that's not what I'm covering here.

I had assumed that we would make up some time during the night, but the
night was a little rough - probably what could be called normal for a night
at sea in these regions and by the following morning it was announced that
we had lost more time and would probably not arrive into Devonport until
about 1500. Than we ran into a very brisk head wind in Bass Strait - strong
enough that open top deck was closed to passengers. The Brunch session was
extended well into the afternoon to provide food for the passengers and we
ran later and later - eventually docking in Devonport just after 1600 and
getting our car off at about 1700 - fortunately we had booked a motel in
Launceston and could get there in just over an hour.

The following days in Tasmania saw various stories in the media about late
running on the service, with TT Line issuing Press Releases to the media
with every possible excuse except the most likely one - i.e. something is
wrong with the timetable.

On the morning of our return I rang TT Line and was told that the vessel was
about 30 minutes late and should be boarding on time. By the time we
arrived, after a very slow lunch, we were loaded almost instantly and the
ship actually left about 10 minutes early - an advantage when you have a
complete passenger list and know that everyone has turned up in time.

We had a very smooth crossing and I felt everything looked pretty good - at
Brunch at 0700 we were off Gabo Island and soon could see Point
Perpendicular. Than an announcement followed - we had been delayed by strong
headwinds during the night and were about 30 mins. late. Than off Sydney
Heads we had to stop for the Pilot (apparently the Skippers have to work
into Sydney Harbour for a month before they are allowed to do it without
supervision. Than there was a fair amount of fiddling before we moored - at
about 1220 instead of 1130.

Than we had a long wait before unloading began from our car deck. By this
time I had suddenly realized that a number of motorists from very quiet
Tasmania were about to find themselves in Sussex St Sydney at lunch time on
a Tuesday. When we did move off the vessel, we actually got suck in a
tailback of vehicles from the Wharf Gate due to trying to get into the
Sydney traffic! I suspect that the prestige of Walsh Bay alongside the city
may be outweighed by the benefits of moving to the car unloading wharf at
Glebe Island, where at least there is some decent room for a queue out of
the wharf.

Obviously someone in Tasmania has some thinking to do about that timetable.

--
Tony Bailey
Mercury Travel Books