I-287 / US 206 ?? Southern NJ

Old December 3rd, 2011, 09:39 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

Default I-287 / US 206 ?? Southern NJ

Driving from Wash DC to Boston and trying to avoid NJ Turnpike GW bridge etc
and wondering anyone can tell me....

Is 287/ US 206 is an alternative to NJT / GDP and GW?
Is it a good road to travel even at rush hour ( 50-60 mph) or is US206
merely a series of "Main Streets" through lots of small towns ?

I go back/forth to FLA a lot and trying to avoid the neverending congestion
of NJ/NYC area. So I'd take 95 N around DC in offhours (Google has me going
thru - down Penn Ave etc) via east part of 495 to 95, then get onto 287 (#19
in google directions).
I'd skip GW bridge and Tappan Zee . It's an hour or two longer - compared to
those but it's much more enjoyable.

http://g.co/maps/h7k63
Any feedback from locals is appreciated.

Old December 3rd, 2011, 10:55 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

On Sat, 3 Dec 2011 15:39:57 -0500, "- Bobb -" wrote:

I go back/forth to FLA a lot and trying to avoid the neverending congestion
of NJ/NYC area. So I'd take 95 N around DC in offhours (Google has me going
thru - down Penn Ave etc) via east part of 495 to 95, then get onto 287 (#19
in google directions).
I'd skip GW bridge and Tappan Zee . It's an hour or two longer - compared to
those but it's much more enjoyable.

The eastern half of the DC beltway is signed as 95; the west as 495. The eastern
part is considerably faster.

206 in NJ is a local road. You don't want any part of it.

I used to do this drive a lot. I always enjoyed taking the NJ turnpike to the
end, and then found the Palosades Parkway - 9W - the Tappan Zee to be the
prettiest and most relaxing part of the trip.

I'd cross the Tappan Zee, and then take 684 to 84 across CT to 90 and on up to
Boston.

-- Larry (in DC, but still a Jersey guy)
Old December 5th, 2011, 04:25 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

wrote in message
On Sat, 3 Dec 2011 15:39:57 -0500, "- Bobb -" wrote:

I go back/forth to FLA a lot and trying to avoid the neverending
congestion
of NJ/NYC area. So I'd take 95 N around DC in offhours (Google has me
going
thru - down Penn Ave etc) via east part of 495 to 95, then get onto 287
(#19
in google directions).
I'd skip GW bridge and Tappan Zee . It's an hour or two longer - compared
those but it's much more enjoyable.

The eastern half of the DC beltway is signed as 95; the west as 495. The
eastern
part is considerably faster.

206 in NJ is a local road. You don't want any part of it.

I used to do this drive a lot. I always enjoyed taking the NJ turnpike to
the
end, and then found the Palisades Parkway - 9W - the Tappan Zee to be
the
prettiest and most relaxing part of the trip.

I'd cross the Tappan Zee, and then take 684 to 84 across CT to 90 and on
up to
Boston.

-- Larry (in DC, but still a Jersey guy)

Thanks.
Talking to 3 other guys yesterday and we kicked this around for an hour
with a road atlas during football games ! ( We each drive from NH to FLa 4-5
times per year)

I "normally" do go NJT - GSP - TappanZee, but the last few times the trip
from start of NJT to Tappan Zee was a mess. The issue really seems to be
timing. I'm usually at hotel just north of DC ( 95+495 junction) when I'm
heading home , ( to avoid DC AM rush hour) and I'm usually on NJT in
mid-late afternoon (I'm heading north.) and traffic is heavy /accidents.
That's normal for any city highway, so that's the part of the trip I'm
trying to avoid - why I asked about US206.

If I'm going to be delayed anyway, I'd rather it be driving rather than
sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

How about I-295N instead of NJT ?
To Trenton/White Horse then 195 to NJT ( to avoid part of it anyways) then
on to GSP

http://g.co/maps/387th

as alternate paths to get from I-95 Delaware line to New England.
(while on the map, click TRAFFIC in upper-right to maybe see what I mean)
Thanks for the advice.

Old December 6th, 2011, 06:04 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Shawn Hirn

In article , "- Bobb -"
wrote:

[...]

There's a lot of construction on I295 now.

I have don't that drive lots of times. Every route I have taken involves
sitting in some traffic either in southern CT or in the NYC area. After
a while, I just decided to take I95 until I got to Boston. It is a
no-brainer. If you can avoid traveling on weekdays near NYC and southern
CT around rush hour, you'll be fine.