Can I drive to Doubtful Sound and don't join the local tour?

Old September 14th, 2003, 06:16 PM
Kungkung

Default Can I drive to Doubtful Sound and don't join the local tour?

Hi :

Check the local tour of Doubtful Sound (South Island of NZ), .....

Can I drive to Doubtful Sound and don't join the local tour?
eg. the Manapouri Power Station or sight-seeing etc

And I will plan to stay 2 nights in Te Anau after leaving Queenstown.

Thank you for your help!

Kungkung

Old September 15th, 2003, 01:10 AM
Geoff McCaughan

Kungkung wrote:
Hi :

Check the local tour of Doubtful Sound (South Island of NZ), .....

Can I drive to Doubtful Sound and don't join the local tour?
eg. the Manapouri Power Station or sight-seeing etc

No you can't as there is no road access. The only access is either by sea or
across lake Manapouri.

Old September 15th, 2003, 02:26 AM
David Springthorpe

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 00:10:14 GMT, Geoff McCaughan wrote:

No you can't as there is no road access. The only access is either by sea or
across lake Manapouri.

So yes, you can drive there, but only if you're got access to one of them
new-fangled amphibious cars.....

DS
Old September 15th, 2003, 03:28 PM
Kungkung

Thx....

that means we must join the local tour.....

and one more question :

Where is better to go for sight-seeing : Midford Sound or Doubtful
Sound?

Thank you for your help!

Kungkung

"Geoff McCaughan" ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D

Old September 15th, 2003, 03:30 PM
Kungkung

OIC...

except joining the local tour....
can I rent kayak for half day only?

thank you for your help!

Kungkung

"David Springthorpe" ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D

Old September 15th, 2003, 04:16 PM

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 22:30:37 +0800, "Kungkung"
wrote:

OIC...

except joining the local tour....
can I rent kayak for half day only?

thank you for your help!

Kungkung

No!

Cath

Old September 15th, 2003, 05:37 PM
Kungkung

thx...
that mean must join the local tour...

Kungkung

Old September 15th, 2003, 08:06 PM
Sarah Bellum

Check out Real Journey's website, think it is www.realjourney.co.nz
which is formerly known as Fiordland Travel. They do both Sounds
whereas Red Boat do Milford Sound only.

Sarah

Old September 16th, 2003, 01:00 AM
Geoff McCaughan

Kungkung wrote:
Thx....

that means we must join the local tour.....

and one more question :

Where is better to go for sight-seeing : Midford Sound or Doubtful
Sound?

It depends...

Milford Sound is accessable by road, but a *lot* of people go there.

Doubtful Sound is larger and more peaceful, but you must take the tour to
get there.

If you are on a tight budget, it will be cheaper to drive to Milford.
However if you choose to do the Doubtful Sound trip, you won't regret it
[I've done it several times].

You can't really explore either place on foot, you'll need to take a boat
trip.
Old September 16th, 2003, 03:37 AM
Kungkung

Thank you so much for your reply and advice

So I decide to join the local tour to Doubtful Sound in mid Oct ......

however, do I need to stay 1-2 nights at Te Anau or just only
stay at Queenstown only?

thank you for your help again!

Kungkung

"Geoff McCaughan" ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D