Pacific Blue Press Release - Trans Tasman services

Old September 17th, 2003, 04:46 AM
Tony Bailey

Default Pacific Blue Press Release - Trans Tasman services

Virgin Blue Announces The Start of 'Pacific Blue'
Wednesday, 17 September 2003

New Zealand low fare airline to call Christchurch home

A bright red jet landed in Christchurch today carrying a launch and
recruitment team from Virgin Blue along with Brett Godfrey, the low fair
airline's Chief Executive, who announced that its new international
division, Pacific Blue Airlines, is on course for takeoff from a new home
base of Christchurch on February 1, 2004.

The new low fare carrier will follow the lead of its sister airline,
Virgin Blue, offering heavily reduced airfares and high quality customer
service with exceptional on time performance.

To start off the new service with a clear message about competition,
the airline will be offering thousands of seats at the special introductory
price of NZ$99 (subject to all taxes and surcharges)* to the people of
Christchurch who want to take a Queensland holiday. This offer is meant to
send the clear message that there is only one airline which truly believes
in every day low fares and isn't simply reacting to changes in the industry.

Pacific Blue will initially operate daily services between
Christchurch and Brisbane with plans to expand services between New Zealand
and other key ports in Australia as well offering domestic services within
New Zealand.

As well as boosting tourism across the Tasman, Pacific Blue will
create hundreds of jobs in New Zealand with plans for more than 200 highly
trained professional staff to be recruited during the airline's start-up
phase. The total employment resulting from this service will be significant,
with ancillary jobs in tourism and other services generated both in
Australia and New Zealand.

The choice of Christchurch as a New Zealand base was a natural one for
the airline, since in many ways Virgin Blue considered it similar to its
home in Brisbane. Both cities are known as key launching pads for tourism,
but they also have a healthy economies and growing populations that enjoy a
quality of life that is hard to match anywhere in the world.

Chief Executive, Brett Godfrey, said, "Clearly the enthusiasm of the
airport, the tourism authorities and of other key officials in Christchurch
has given us the same level of confidence that we have in Queensland. So
many people have told us how they thought it would be great for the people
of the South Island to have an airline they could call their own. I am happy
to link up our home base in Queensland to our new home in Christchurch. In
Australia, we have consistently focused on 'hub-busting' to ensure that
people don't have to change planes somewhere else just to get where they
want to go. We plan on pursuing the same strategy in New Zealand and this
will benefit everyone from business travellers to people who simply believed
they could never afford to fly."

Brett Godfrey continued "There is no reason why New Zealanders should
not benefit from the same type of competition that we have in Australia.
Clearly Air New Zealand's, and now Qantas's, sudden about face on airfares
would suggest that they know that the days of gouging the travelling public
are over. While our services won't start today, we are glad to see New
Zealanders already getting the benefit of real competition instead of being
subject to a cosy duopoly."

After the launch special is finished, Pacific Blue will be offering
every day low fares from NZ$189* with fully flexible walk-up fares of
NZ$349*. Fully Flexible fares in both directions are nearly 50% off of what
competitors are offering and this is where Pacific Blue's consumer
proposition is strongest.

Pacific Blue will launch its maiden service with a fleet of bright
red, brand new Boeing 737-800 aircraft, emblazoned with flypacificblue.com
on their side. The aircraft are fresh from the Boeing factory in Seattle and
will carry the most modern technology in the South Pacific as well as 180
leather seats pitched to 31" or more.

When introducing the new name Mr Godfrey joked, "In order to get
overseas we had to sacrifice the Virgin. But we haven't given up a thing
when it comes to our tradition of great service, modern aircraft and
everyday low fares. This is a proud brand that we hope to fly throughout the
Pacific region."

SCHEDULE: BRISBANE - CHRISTCHURCH - EFFECTIVE FEBRUARY 1, 2004

FLIGHT N0 DEP ARR MON TUE WED THU FRI SAT SUN
DJ 008 4.45pm 11.15pm

SCHEDULE: CHRISTCHURCH - BRISBANE - EFFECTIVE FEBRUARY 1, 2004

FLIGHT N0 DEP ARR MON TUE WED THU FRI SAT SUN
DJ 007 3.05pm 4.00pm

Please note from 21 March 2004 the schedule will change due to
daylight saving time.

FARE INFORMATION FOR THE NEW ZEALAND ORGINATING MARKET

*As per industry practice all fares in New Zealand are shown in NZ$
and exclude taxes and charges

CHRISTCHURCH TO BRISBANE

Promotional Fares:
Launch Special: NZ$99 - On Sale from 17 Sep to 28 Sep for travel
between 01 Feb and 27 Mar 2004

Everyday Low Fares:
Fair Fares (lead in price): NZ$189 Fully flexible fa NZ$349

Seats are limited and may not be available on all flights or peak
days. Fares are quoted ex-New Zealand, one way on the net ($10 more by
phone). Fares are exclusive of government departure tax, airport passenger
service charge of $10.20 and security levy of $6.85. Prices & charges are in
NZD. International flights commencing February 2004 subject to receipt of
government approvals.

-----------------------

FARE INFORMATION FOR THE AUSTRALIAN ORIGINATING MARKET

As per industry practice all fares in Australia are shown in A$ and
include all taxes and charges

BRISBANE TO CHRISTCHURCH

Promotional Fares:
Launch Special: A$149 - On Sale from 17 Sep to 28 Sep for travel
between 01 Feb and 27 Mar 2004

Everyday Low Fares:
Fair fares (lead in price): A$219 Fully flexible fa A$369

Guests booking from BNE in AUD, will pay slightly less on the CHC-BNE
sector due to Aust Dept Tax not applying.

Seats are limited and may not be available on all flights or peak
days. Fares are quoted ex-Australia one way on the net or $10 more by phone
(all prices and charges are in AUD). International flights commencing
February 2004 subject to receipt of government approvals.

--
Tony Bailey
Mercury World Travel