Where to go in Africa?

Old August 19th, 2004, 05:15 PM
Leo Kerner

Default Where to go in Africa?

I am considering my first trip to Arica, for 4-6 weeks. I want to see
wild animals, natural beauty, local culture. Where in that vast
continent should I go on such a first trip?
Leo

Old August 19th, 2004, 06:47 PM
Pat Anderson

In message , Leo Kerner
writes
I am considering my first trip to Arica, for 4-6 weeks. I want to see
wild animals, natural beauty, local culture. Where in that vast
continent should I go on such a first trip?
Leo

You can find all those in Kenya. It is a country of mountains, lakes,
beaches, savannah and wildlife in abundance.
Pat
--
Pat Anderson

Old August 19th, 2004, 10:42 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 12:15:30 -0400, Leo Kerner
wrote:

I am considering my first trip to Arica, for 4-6 weeks. I want to see
wild animals, natural beauty, local culture. Where in that vast
continent should I go on such a first trip?

Leo,

I concur with Pat. East Africa is the land of the savanna, and
Kenya as a good choice for a first time visit.

Have a look at http://www.michna.com/kenya.htm, if you like.
This has some information like destinations and check lists for
what to bring.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

Old August 19th, 2004, 11:44 PM
None

My first trip was just completed. I went to Tanzania for Kilimanjaro,
Zanzibar, Ngorongoro Crater, and the Serengeti. All were worthwhile. Arusha
is one place I went that I would just as soon not see again. Zanzibar is one
place I would definately see again and for a much longer stay than 4 days -
2 weeks on a motorcycle would be much better. Kili just about killied me.
Ngorongoro and the Serengeti were superb for animal viewing, but not nearly
as easy and cheap as Arusha National Park which packs more bang for the time
and dollar.

Old August 20th, 2004, 12:23 AM
Leo Kerner

Thanks- but I am confused now. First you say that "Arusha
is one place I went that I would just as soon not see again" ie, you did not
like. Then you say
"Arusha National Park ... packs more bang for the time
and dollar." ie, you did like. Are they different Arushas?

Leo

Old August 20th, 2004, 01:43 AM
Chris

Pat Anderson wrote in message ...
In message , Leo Kerner
writes
I am considering my first trip to Arica, for 4-6 weeks. I want to see
wild animals, natural beauty, local culture. Where in that vast
continent should I go on such a first trip?
Leo

You can find all those in Kenya. It is a country of mountains, lakes,
beaches, savannah and wildlife in abundance.
Pat

My wife and I are now planning our 5th trip to Africa. We have been
in seven countries and hope to see many more. We do not use group
travel, but rather book our own safaris whether they be in the bush or
in towns. We have never felt unsafe, particularly in the bush. I
highly recommend Cape Town and the surrounding area for culture and
some game opportunities. We have been to Zimbabwe and felt very safe
- though that was in 99. I would go there again today but keep to the
national park areas. Botswana is great but expensive. If you go try
to see Chobe, the Okavanga Delta, and the Kalahari. Zambia is a
beautiful country and safe for the most part - you should be able to
drive around on your own without much difficulty. Malawi lies along
the Great Rift Valley has unique geographic features. It has a huge
population for its size with a lot of poverty. We travelled in the
Serengetti (Tanzania) and saw wonderful wildlife. I understand that
Kenya is rather touristy and we will avoid it until we have seen many
other places. In general we have found the people to be very are
friendly - most want to talk to Americans. I recommend staying in
smaller tented lodges for safaris, avoiding the "hotels in the bush".
In towns B&Bs are the best bet.

Chris