Same on you AA pilot!

Old January 16th, 2004, 12:04 AM
devil

Default Same on you AA pilot!

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 09:51:15 -0800, PTRAVEL wrote:

Did you know that the largest percentage of illegal immigrants in the U.S.
come from Brazil?

*The* largest? Surely that's Mexico?

Large, I could see. But surely not one of the largest?

Old January 16th, 2004, 12:12 AM
Douglas W. Hoyt

I rented a locker for 3 hours at the Minneapolis airport last month.
It requires a fingerprint too! I don't mind, and my finger didn't mind.
Hopefully Brazil won't mind either.

Old January 16th, 2004, 12:23 AM
DDupin

I've read that Canadians are also a large percentageof illegal immigrants, but
maybe most are staying longer than they should just to sample the culture with
every intention of going back.
My illiterate grandfather cameto the U.S. from Eastern Europe (Croatia) in
1902. I'm glad he did. Myfather became an electrician, my mother a registered
nurse, and I've got a degree plus.\\

I also am one of the majority of American people who did not vote for Bush.

Subject: Same on you AA pilot!

Old January 16th, 2004, 12:58 AM
PTRAVEL

"devil" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 09:51:15 -0800, PTRAVEL wrote:

Did you know that the largest percentage of illegal immigrants in the

U.S.
come from Brazil?

*The* largest? Surely that's Mexico?

Large, I could see. But surely not one of the largest?

It was in one of the articles referenced in this thread. I don't recall
which one.

Old January 16th, 2004, 01:57 AM
Miguel Cruz

devil wrote:
PTRAVEL wrote:
Did you know that the largest percentage of illegal immigrants in the U.S.
come from Brazil?

*The* largest? Surely that's Mexico?
Large, I could see. But surely not one of the largest?

Maybe by "largest percent" he means the largest ratio of illegal to legal.
For instance, 15% of Brazilians in the country are here illegally and 10% of
Mexicans (numbers totally made up).

miguel
--
Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/
Old January 16th, 2004, 09:30 AM
mrraveltay

Miguel Cruz wrote:

DDupin wrote:

Remember that terrible crash that occurred shortly after 9/11, and people
wondered if it was another act of terrorism? I recall (and I'll look it up
if need be if I've got it wrong) that it was an AA flight to the Dominican
Republic. My recall is that about 90 percent of the passengers were
Dominican. I think there's a culture for people from the Caribbean and
Latin America living in the U.S. to make frequent visits to family back in
the "old country."

On flights to Mexico and Guatemala I find that almost all passengers are
Spanish-speaking and visibly not "white" (maybe 5-10 exceptions out of 200).

I think this depends on whether you are flying to MEX or CUN.
I don't think 95 percent of the passengers on flights from the US to
Cancun are hispanic.

Old January 16th, 2004, 09:31 AM
mrraveltay

None wrote:

I guess we just have to look where this pilot learned to behave like that.
The gesture, though relatively unremarkable in today's society, is usually
the response that American Airlines corporate gives to it's own employees,
so why shouldn't the employees use the gesture happily wherever they go?

If someone flipped me off I wouldn't give it a second thought anymore.
Reciprocity blew the whole thing out of proportion. AA bit the bullet and
paid the fine, they'll pass that cost on to consumers through ticket prices
or take another olive off of first class salads for a week, that will take
care of it.

Where was it reported that AA paid the fine? I thought the pilot paid it.

Old January 16th, 2004, 10:54 AM
None

"mrraveltay" wrote in message
om...

None wrote:

[...]

The story below clearly states that AA is taking care of it.

US pilot fined for rude gesture as tension increases
AP
16jan04

AN American Airlines pilot was fined nearly $17,000 on accusations he made
an obscene gesture when being photographed at the airport as part of entry
requirements for US citizens, officials said.

Brazil imposed the new rules that Americans be fingerprinted and
photographed at entry points in response the similar rules in the United
States for citizens of Brazil and other countries whose citizens need visas
to enter.
The pilot, Dale Robin Hersh, lifted his middle finger while undergoing the
new security process at Sao Paulo's Guarulhos International Airport, said
federal prosecutor Matheus Baraldi Magnani.

Police accused the pilot of showing contempt to authorities, a crime in
Brazil, and escorted him to a nearby federal courthouse for possible formal
charges.

However, Hersh agreed to pay a fine before he leaves Brazil in exchange for
no charges being filed, the prosecutor said.

"Since this was a minor crime I proposed that he be fined 36,000 reals
($A17,000), which will later be donated to a home for the elderly," Magnani
told reporters.

Hersh was freed on his own recognisance. The prosecutor said Hersh expected
to pay the fine today. It wasn't immediately clear where Hersh was staying
yesterday.

The prosecutor said Hersh could have faced charges punishable by up to two
years in jail.

Hersh's 10-member crew was detained inside the airport when the incident
began yesterday morning and was not allowed to enter Brazil. Police said the
crew was not charged and was returning to the United States on an evening
flight.

American Airlines spokeswoman Martha Pantin said the incident was the result
of a misunderstanding.

"The company apologises to the Brazilian government, the airport
authorities, the police or anyone else who may have perceived anything they
believe to have been disrespectful," Pantin said.

Late yesterday, when asked if the airline was paying the fine, Patin

said: "We are taking care of any Brazilian government levies at this time."

The incident is the latest flap in a growing diplomatic spat between Brazil
and the United States.

The Brazilian requirement was first imposed at the order of the federal
judge but on Sunday it became the government's official policy, citing the
diplomatic concept of "reciprocity".

On Tuesday, President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva asked US President George W
Bush to drop the visa requirement for Brazilians entering the United States,
while Brazil's Foreign Ministry said the requirement could lead to a souring
between the two nations.

"Recent episodes, such as the new system of identification of travelers,
create a negative climate in public opinion with inevitable political
implications, which is not in the interest of the two countries," the
ministry said.

But in Rio de Janeiro, tourism officials are trying to console American
tourists arriving at the airport by treating them to samba music and dancers
and giving them flowers, jewelry and T-shirts.

Brazil currently requires Americans to have visas to enter Brazil because of
reciprocity.

Direct Link:
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/com...965%255E663,00
..html

Old January 16th, 2004, 04:18 PM
Dennis G. Rears

"Miguel Cruz" wrote in message
DDupin wrote:
Remember that terrible crash that occurred shortly after 9/11, and

people
wondered if it was another act of terrorism? I recall (and I'll look it

up
if need be if I've got it wrong) that it was an AA flight to the

Dominican
Republic. My recall is that about 90 percent of the passengers were
Dominican. I think there's a culture for people from the Caribbean and
Latin America living in the U.S. to make frequent visits to family back

in
the "old country."

On flights to Mexico and Guatemala I find that almost all passengers are
Spanish-speaking and visibly not "white" (maybe 5-10 exceptions out of

200).

Likewise on flights to Asia at least 3/4 of the passengers are Asian.

On flights to and from Europe it seems to be about half-and-half, based on
overheard snippets of conversation and on who requests which landing forms
from the flight attendant.

miguel

On my flights to OZ/New Zealand I would say that about 75 percent of coach
passengers were Aussie/Kiwi. The one time I flew FC it was 100% American.

dennis
--
Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/

Old January 16th, 2004, 07:05 PM
Miguel Cruz

mrraveltay wrote:
Miguel Cruz wrote:
On flights to Mexico and Guatemala I find that almost all passengers are
Spanish-speaking and visibly not "white" (maybe 5-10 exceptions out of 200).

I think this depends on whether you are flying to MEX or CUN.
I don't think 95 percent of the passengers on flights from the US to
Cancun are hispanic.

Good point - I've only ever flown to Mexico City and Guatemala City in those
countries. Guatemala City is definitely not a vacation spot (yeesh) and
Mexico City is only partially one.

miguel
--
Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/