Favorite foods

Old January 14th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Default Favorite foods

David Horne wrote:

S Viemeister wrote:

Owain wrote:

"Derek McBryde" wrote
| Oh and did I mention the poached salmon I ate in a caravan
| in Donegal in Ireland. )

Poached always tastes better than shop-bought.

True, wild salmon does taste better than farmed.

I have both with some frequency, probably about 3/4 of what I eat is
farmed, and I think it's largely (if not exclusively) true that wild is
better, but the way farmed salmon has been described by some
chefs/restauranteurs recently, you'd think it tasted like raw horse's
brain. I don't think it's that bad at all- and at least in the UK, it's
a good cheap, and very healthy food. (It's probably the cheapest fresh
fish you can buy, per pound here.) What would a japanese restauarant use
for sake sashimi- only wild? It always tastes good in that kind of
restauarant, wherever I've had it.
David

The healthy part is questionable. The farm salmon has very high metal
content compared to the wild caught fish. FFM

Old January 14th, 2004, 07:20 PM
Miguel Cruz

James Silverton wrote:
An interesting point, Miguel! Do you have any recommendations for really
authentic Chinese food in the US or Europe? The last time I had "Chinese"
food in Bordeaux, it seemed reminiscent of Vietnamese even if I enjoyed it.

Really really authentic? I guess not. A place called "Full Kee" out in
Northern Virginia - not far from you at all - can do a pretty decent job,
though, if you have someone Chinese in your group to order for you. I've had
similar luck at a few places in Toronto's Chinatown under similar
conditions. I bet New York and San Francisco have some good options hiding
somewhere.

miguel
--
Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/
Old January 14th, 2004, 10:29 PM
Thomas

I am not sure about the health reasons, but there is no comparision
between wild and farm salmon. The wild stuff tastes and cooks better.

cheers,
Thomas
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Celtic Woodcrafts

http://www.spirited-ireland.net/art-crafts/ts-wood/
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote in message ...

Old January 14th, 2004, 10:43 PM
Hatunen

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 22:25:55 GMT, (Miguel Cruz)
wrote:

Padraig Breathnach wrote:
I have not yet been to Indonesia (but that doesn't disqualify me from
participating in this newsgroup). I was advised, when going to
Thailand, not to purchase food from street vendors because my delicate
European constitution might not take well to it. The aromas were
wonderful, and I found it hard to abide by that advice. Fortunately,
the food in my hotel was very palatable. Was I over-cautious?

All I can say is that once I started eating exclusively from busy street
vendors (to the exclusion of restaurants targeting foreigners, such as
those in hotels) I have never been even a little bit sick, despite many
months in some of the world's poorest countries (including middle-income
countries like Thailand).

The locals - at least those who have a choice - know best. Places with
hidden kitchens that rely on transient tourists rather than day-in, day-out
local custom, and prepare foods they're not culturally accustomed to
cooking, seem to me much more likely to poison their customers, and in my
experience that's been exactly the case.

Many years ago when I was living in Louisville, Kentucky, I had a
good friend who worked as a city health inspector, inspecting
restaruants and handing out the A, B and C cards. he told me to
avoid eating in hotel restaurants as they always had the worst
record on his inspections.

Old January 15th, 2004, 12:46 AM
devil

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 11:00:01 -0600, Anonymouse wrote:

Rather like the difference in taste between free-range and cooped chickens.
Or between the oddly tasteless lamb available in the US, versus lovely
hill-raised lamb from the North of Scotland.

Sheila

Hi,

US "lamb" is pretty bad... usually red and virtually really mutton.

What's wrong with mutton? Some of the best grilled chops I ever had.
Mutton.

Old January 15th, 2004, 01:08 AM
Frank F. Matthews

My complaint is with the reference "very healthy food". FFM

Old January 15th, 2004, 02:33 AM
S Viemeister

devil wrote:

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 11:00:01 -0600, Anonymouse wrote:

Rather like the difference in taste between free-range and cooped chickens.
Or between the oddly tasteless lamb available in the US, versus lovely
hill-raised lamb from the North of Scotland.

Sheila

Hi,

US "lamb" is pretty bad... usually red and virtually really mutton.

What's wrong with mutton? Some of the best grilled chops I ever had.
Mutton.

It can be quite difficult to find shops which stock mutton. It's great for
soups and stews.