Favorite foods

Old January 23rd, 2004, 03:56 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Default Favorite foods

Keith Anderson wrote:

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 20:30:38 -0800, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote:

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

Carole Allen wrote:

Well, I find the kneading therapeutic, don't have a bread machine,
have no idea how to adapt this recipe to one..I still make it like
grandma did (hand stretch, no rolling pin)...I make it at
Christmas...usually I do 16-24 loaves in one day (start early, stay up
late, big family!) When my son was a child he decided the "smell of
Christmas" was this bread baking, not the tree!

Well, for something like your recipe, a bread machine would only help
with the first mixing and rising - after that it would require
"hands-on". I think I'd agree with your son - when I was still in
school and living "at home", I used to make coffee-cake (yeast-rising)
every Christmas Eve, so to me, also, the smell of fresh bread baking has
connotations of holiday-time. (I also used to make hot-cross-buns for
Easter - why is it we seem to have so much more time to do things, when
we're young?)

Perhaps there was more time because we weren't spending so much on
e-mail & usenet. FFM

LOL! Yes, but even before that.... (and playing on the internet really
doens't interfere much with bread-making - there are long delays while
the dough is rising, where you can't go elsewhere, but are not actively
involved with the process of making it).

Trouble is that when I'm cooking something and log on to the net, I
have a tendency to forget the cooking!

A panful of rather black potatoes was the result last time!

Fortunately, the only possible mishap with rising bread dough is that it
will overflow the container in which it is risng. (A potential mess,
but no real harm done.)
Old January 23rd, 2004, 05:14 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Default Time to enjoy - was - Favorite foods

Magda wrote:
On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 20:37:39 GMT, in rec.travel.europe, "Frank F. Matthews"
arranged some electrons, so they looked like this :

... Carole Allen wrote:
[...]

And then someone else was doing shopping, cooking, cleaning, laundry and commuting to
work.

When I was thinking young I wasn't thinking that young, Good point for
early times though.

One likely difference is that fewer folks were working at jobs that took
up 60 hours a week to accomplish. Down sizing has compressed things a
bunch. FFM

Old January 24th, 2004, 02:46 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Magda wrote:

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 07:54:24 -0800, in rec.travel.europe, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
arranged some electrons, so they looked like this :

... That's probably true for when I was living with my parents, but once I
... was on my own, I STILL seemed to have far more free time than I do now -
... and I didn't even own a car, then, so "commuting" took considerably
... longer. (I look at all the things I accomplished, even though working
... full-time, and wonder how I managed it.) Given that the years seem to
... fly by faster and faster as we grow older, I almost wonder whether time
... doesn't actually compress as one ages!

Not for me - once I started living alone my days of reading three books/week were over.
Now it's three books/month if I'm lucky.

It used to be six books a week (minimum) for me - now I have the
internet, it's down to two or three, but seldom fewer than that!
Old January 29th, 2004, 08:43 PM
Roman J. Rohleder

Keith Anderson schrieb:

I was referring in the earlier posts to station restaurants per se -
sit-down places - and there are some very good ones in Germany.

Many of them are gone - some even closed with the stations they were
placed in.

For take-away food, Koblenz Hbf has an excellent sandwich shop.

Really? I used to use that Hbf for 9 years.

That station is under renovation for a loooooong period.. 4 years, I
believe. They put most shops in containers, demolished the interiour
of the station and then the construction company Holzmann went
bankrupt.

Gruss, Roman