TV Show "Airline"

Old January 6th, 2004, 04:00 AM
Jeffrey Hacker

Default TV Show "Airline"

I just watched the first two installments of "Airline," the A&E knockoff of
the British TV show "Airport." Yecch! If I didn't despise the flying bus
that is Southwest,already, this would certainly cure any doubts.

Jeff

Old January 6th, 2004, 04:06 AM
Clark W Griswold

"Jeffrey Hacker" wrote in message
I just watched the first two installments of "Airline," the A&E knockoff

of
the British TV show "Airport." Yecch! If I didn't despise the flying bus
that is Southwest,already, this would certainly cure any doubts.

Jeff

Agreed - I thought they should have called the series, "50 reasons not to
fly swa". They made their own problems with many of these pax (the drunks
and stinky guy notwithstanding). I'd really like to know how that family
ended up seated, after their ordeal, and being the last on the flight - by
now holding 4 tickets.

- Clark

Old January 6th, 2004, 04:13 AM
Gregory Morrow

Jeffrey Hacker wrote:

I just watched the first two installments of "Airline," the A&E knockoff

of
the British TV show "Airport." Yecch! If I didn't despise the flying bus
that is Southwest,already, this would certainly cure any doubts.

It wasn't WN or it's staff that I was appalled by (the staff actually seemed
to be doing a great job, "considering"), but I was awestruck by how stupid,
fat, and slobbering the general run of pax were. And it wasn't just the
drunks and the smelly guy - it was the entitlement moo who couldn't provide
proof that her brat was under two years old who was the *worst*.

I'm surprised the majority of these pax were not arrested at the gate, let
alone emplaned.

--
Best
Greg

Old January 6th, 2004, 05:37 AM
Kizzer

I got some great laughs.

Most of the passengers were pretty pathetic. I think WN did a good job with
handling most of the situations. It does appear that the CSA's and FA's
really do LUV their jobs.

I'm Kizzer
BOS

"Gregory Morrow" wrote in message
hlink.net...

Old January 6th, 2004, 06:14 AM
nobody

Jeffrey Hacker wrote:
I just watched the first two installments of "Airline," the A&E knockoff of
the British TV show "Airport." Yecch! If I didn't despise the flying bus
that is Southwest,already, this would certainly cure any doubts.

I saw it as a good advertisement for Southwest because the WN staff were well
portrayed. As well I saw it as a good caricature of the leasure american
public. I suspect that if the original programme had focused on Ryanair or
Easyjet, it may have had similar if not worse stories.

And it was pretty much exactly what I had expected.

What I am unsure about however is how much of it was staged and how much was
real. How much did the drunken couple get paid in order to agree to be shown
in such a state on USA television ?
Old January 6th, 2004, 07:20 AM
nobody

Article about the show:

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/040105/south...v_show_26.html
Old January 6th, 2004, 07:24 AM
Graham Harrison

I think you'll find it's a knock off of the UK show "Airline", not
"Airport". The UK has had at least two versions of Airline. The original
was about Easyjet (one of our SouthWest clones) and the other about Monarch
(one of our "charter" carriers flying mainly to the Mediterranean resorts.)
In both cases the whole thing is about arguments between airline staff and
passengers about why the passenger can't board the flight with a sprinkling
of "human interest" stories.

We've also had some knock offs of Airport (which is about Heathrow). I've
seen "Holiday Airport" about some holiday resort airports (more than one)
and "Airport Miami" which, I believe, was a US production.

I find the Airport programs better than Airline but they're both a bit lame.

--
*****
*****The "return to" address embedded in this mail is wrong as an antispam

Old January 6th, 2004, 08:06 AM
Mark Hewitt

"nobody" wrote in message
Jeffrey Hacker wrote:
I just watched the first two installments of "Airline," the A&E knockoff

of
the British TV show "Airport." Yecch!

It isn't a knockoff of British TV show "Airport". It's a knockoff of British
TV show "Airline".

I saw it as a good advertisement for Southwest because the WN staff were

well
portrayed. As well I saw it as a good caricature of the leasure american
public. I suspect that if the original programme had focused on Ryanair or
Easyjet, it may have had similar if not worse stories.

The original TV show did concentrate on easyJet!

Old January 6th, 2004, 08:26 AM
colin.

"Graham Harrison" wrote in
message ...
I think you'll find it's a knock off of the UK show "Airline", not
"Airport". The UK has had at least two versions of Airline. The

original
was about Easyjet (one of our SouthWest clones) and the other about

Monarch
(one of our "charter" carriers flying mainly to the Mediterranean

resorts.)

When was the one about Monarch on, and what channel? I've flown EasyJet (it
was ****) and Monarch (it was also ****) and also South West (even ****tier
still) and I'd have watched that, for sure =/

Old January 6th, 2004, 08:35 AM
Mike O'sullivan

"Graham Harrison" wrote in
message ...
I think you'll find it's a knock off of the UK show "Airline", not
"Airport". The UK has had at least two versions of Airline. The

original
was about Easyjet (one of our SouthWest clones)

I thought that Easyjet came out of this long-running series pretty well.
great free advertising too. On a personal note, Easyjet employees, both
English and French, get full marks from me, after my passport (and other
things) was stolen in France at the end of my short holiday in Nice in
September. They made contact with British immigration on my behalf,
smoothed my passage to the departure gate, and made the situation much more
bearable than it might otherwise have been.