Which airlines are most baby-friendly?

Old August 27th, 2004, 04:49 PM
-L. :

d b wrote in message ...
You sound like you are one of the more considerate parents when you travel with your
little one on a plane. I truly sympathize with your frustration and you must sympathize
with mine also.

Oh, I do.

While I understand your points and concerns it does not change my
feelings. I spend many hours on airplanes in the course of any week and the last thing I
am in the mood to deal with are the previously mentioned baby situations. I am not a baby
hater as it has been put

I was not specifically targeting you with that comment. Some people
*do* hate babies though - that's ok. I don't have any problem with
that.

----BUT, I reserve the right to NOT want them anywhere near me
when I am on an airplane and can't not extricate myself from the situation.

When one is a 100,000 mile flyer and deals with airlines and airports the way they are
these days, the straw that breaks the camels back is to find when you finally sit down
that you are in close proximity to a situation that will most likely make the next few
hours even more miserable than getting through the airport was in the first place.

djb

Agreed - I understand. No need to explain. I just hate it when all
parents get tarred with the same ugly brush (again, not saying YOU did
that - but it is often done). Some of us are conscious of the fact
that our children can be irritating and try to preven the situation
before it happens.

-L.
Old August 27th, 2004, 04:53 PM
-L. :

nothilaryduff wrote in message . com...
-L. : wrote:

Some people hate kids, period. I recognize this try to not inflict my
son on anyone. I realize that no one thinks he is a cute as I do, and
I don't expect anyone to do anything for me just because I have a
baby. I certainly don't want him touching the plane or other
passengers, anyway, because mainly I don't want him to get sick. We
have flown five separate times with him - he is now 7 months old -
have controlled the crying as best as we can. Really only had one
incident that lasted about 5 minutes on a United plane when we were
stuck on the freaking tarmac for 45 minutes in Chicago waiting to take
off - of course that is when he pooped for the day and I couldn't get
up to change his pants because we had to stay seated. He cried for
about 5 minutes and then fell asleep. I apologized to everyone around
us and explained what was wrong - everybody was extremely cool about
it. One of the reasons I hate United is because of schedule problems
like this, which result in delays, plane changes, and flight changes,
all of which add travel time and stress, which I try to keep to a
minimum anyway.

Do you consider the 45 minute wait for take off to be the fault of UA?
Why was the plane waiting 45 minutes? Was there a mechanical problem or
crew problem causing them to wait, or was it traffic oontrol related?

Traffic control related, possibly, but United had over 19 planes
waiting to take off (we were #19 in line) and there were scheduling
issues that caused problems prior to take-off. United has had chronic
problems in ORD and other areas for the last couple of years. I used
to like to fly them.

I have had lenghthy waits for take off on many carriers and often during
heavy traffic times, the wait is built into the schedule. Were you 45
minutes late on arrival?

No, we were on-time. People were on the plane early, in fact.

-L.
Old August 27th, 2004, 07:04 PM
AJ

We tend to stick with BA on transatlantic and Air Canada on North
America flights. Air Canada has fold down diaper changing shelves in
most lavs including biz class. BA is great with kids content with
individual TVs in World Traveler and good kids meals and amenities. I
avoid US carriers on transatlantic with my kids as I feel they see
kids and babies as a nuisance rather than a customer. We have not had
good experiences on AA and DL with our kids in tow. Continental would
probably be my top pick for US carriers.

From reading the other posts, I fully feel it is the parents and not
the airline's responsibily to bring along the necessary supplies to
entertain and tend to their babies. About a month ago a father
traveling solo across the aisle from me ran out of diapers mid way
though a 6+ hour flight for his son. He was irritated that the airline
didn't provide free diapers. It was a long flight (and smelly) with a
screaming toddler with a full diaper for 3 hours. He was the only
parent on board with a baby so no one could give him a diaper.

Alan

"AC" wrote in message ...
Several Ouiji boards must have been used to work out "what you sought" from
your insightful thoughts, and demanding question (are you learning from your
child?).

Just like the parents who walk down the middle of the sidewalk with their
prams, you seem to expect someone else to work out your problems for you.

When you pay full fare for your child, expect full service (already more
than a standard passenger). Until then, stop whining, an realise that your
decision to have kids is YOURS! Try not to burden others if your coping
skills aren't up to other people's.

And before another whine,,, I have had my kids from 0-12 on so many flights
it would make your head spin (judging by your experience)...

"-L. :" wrote in message
om...
AJC wrote in message

. ..
On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 18:56:54 +0100, Hilary
wrote:

United sucks, big time. Anyone have good experiences with any other

airlines?

Gulf Air have a stewardess dedicated to children (entertaining,

feeding,
helping with, etc.) on at least 1 of their major routes.

Hilary

Singapore Airlines always seem very friendly too!

Thanks, Hilary and AJC, and everyone else who gave the input I sought.

-L.