Is Sumatra a dangerous island?

Old June 12th, 2004, 10:21 AM
Jones

Default Is Sumatra a dangerous island?

Hi,
I will go to Sumatra and its islands. I would like to know if there
are dangerous terrorism places.
Thanks

bye Jones
Old June 12th, 2004, 10:56 AM
A Mate

Jonesy - at last a glimpse of sanity!! Sumatra's fine!! Still a challenge to
travel - but mostly very safe!!!

Good Luck!!

Old June 12th, 2004, 01:13 PM
Pete Loud

I would suggest you are careful if you go to Aceh. The Indonesian Army has
been killing lots of villagers who they think are members of GAM.

A few tourists and over 100 locals were killed at Bukit Lawang, (where the
Orang Utan are) not so long ago, by a flood, but that doesn't happen very
often.

Watch out for pick-pockets in Pekanbaru.

Lake Toba is great.

Best ignore "Matey", he doesn't seem to know much about Indonesia.

Cheers,

Pete Loud
Maps of Indonesia
http://users.powernet.co.uk/mkmarina...indonesia.html

Old June 12th, 2004, 03:20 PM
RAK

"Jones" wrote in message
Hi,
I will go to Sumatra and its islands. I would like to know if there
are dangerous terrorism places.
Thanks

bye Jones

Tourists/foreigners ae not allowed to visit Aceh in north Sumatra except for
one resort area at the moment.

Except for that you should be OK

Old June 12th, 2004, 08:55 PM
EAC

"Pete Loud" wrote in message .. .
I would suggest you are careful if you go to Aceh.

Irrelevant, considering that there's a travel ban there for
foreigners.

The Indonesian Army has been killing lots of villagers
who they think are members of GAM.

Hmmm... More 'helpful' Indonesia informations?

I'm glad that Indonesia has a 'supporter' like you.

Anyway. One should consider that both the current Indonesian army
(post-Suharto) and GAM actually controlled by the same group, that
their intention is to defame Aceh, Indonesia, Islam, religion,
humanity, make people fight each other (both in a local scale and in a
global scale), and so on.

Any 'information' of the legimitate authority murdering 'innocent'
people will only make things worse. People will distrust the
authority, the authority lost control slightly, the locals become more
miserable because there will be more lawless things done by some
people, and so on.

A few tourists and over 100 locals were killed at Bukit Lawang,
(where the Orang Utan are) not so long ago, by a flood,
but that doesn't happen very often.

One can outrun any local flood, just make sure that you don't reside
and/or sleep near any river or large body of water.

Watch out for pick-pockets in Pekanbaru.

And everywhere around the world.

Lake Toba is great.

No mention that Toba is a super volcano and that no one knows on when
it will erupt next?

Best ignore "Matey", he doesn't seem to know much about Indonesia.

Cheers,

Pete Loud
Maps of Indonesia
http://users.powernet.co.uk/mkmarina...indonesia.html

Are you sure that you're not just using the identity of this poor guy
to defame him?
Old June 13th, 2004, 05:21 PM
Tchiowa

Jones wrote in message . ..
Hi,
I will go to Sumatra and its islands. I would like to know if there
are dangerous terrorism places.

Sumatra is a big place. You're not allowed in Aceh, but Riau is just
fine. West Sumatra is safe a beautiful. I've heard some unfortunate
things about south Sumatra but nothing really posing a threat to
tourists.

Sumatra is as safe as any other place in that part of the world.
Behave yourself and think when you're travelling and you'll have no
problems.
Old June 13th, 2004, 05:23 PM
Tchiowa

"Pete Loud" wrote in message .. .
I would suggest you are careful if you go to Aceh. The Indonesian Army has
been killing lots of villagers who they think are members of GAM.

A few tourists and over 100 locals were killed at Bukit Lawang, (where the
Orang Utan are) not so long ago, by a flood, but that doesn't happen very
often.

Watch out for pick-pockets in Pekanbaru.

I agree with the above, but I lived in Pekanbaru for 2 years and never
saw a problem with that.

Recent bombing in Pekanbaru that the Western press made a big deal
about appears to be an insurance scam with a Chinese mall owner.

You can't go to Aceh. Although I read a few months ago about a couple
of Europeans (German?) who were killed in Aceh. They were supposedly
tourists, but that makes no sense. Probably involved in something else
and posing as tourists.
Old June 13th, 2004, 05:25 PM
Tchiowa

"A Mate" wrote in message . au...
Jonesy - at last a glimpse of sanity!! Sumatra's fine!! Still a challenge to
travel - but mostly very safe!!!

Biggest safety risk are the roads. There is a bus accident at least
once a week on the road between Pekanbaru and Duri, for instance. And
by "bus accident" I mean a bus going off the road down a ravine.
Almost always some fatalities involved.