Knee Defender

Old December 7th, 2005, 06:48 PM posted to rec.travel.air

Default Knee Defender

In article , "Frank F. Matthews" writes:
In my mind it's just as much an assault as one that occurs when someone
decides to swing a bat in a space that includes my body. You can
incline your seat only if it does not involve assaulting the body which
the airline has sold the right to occupy the space behind your seat.
Fortunately, so far, the airline crews have taken my point of view and
have not required knee amputation. It's unfortunate that you insist
that trying to occupy my seat and preserve my person is viewed by you as
selfish but I really don't care about your attitude.

This has been debated very hotly for several years now, and I'm amused that
nobody seems to have realized that the airlines are selling us overlapping
spaces. Just like overcrowded rats, we squirm and fuss and chew each other's
tails and noses off.

Personally, I think that the solution is two-fold. First the airlines need to
simplify their pricing structures so that everyone pays one price for the same
seat class. For example, all the economy seats cost $500, all business cost
$1000, etc and there are no premiums or discounts for time of purchase or all
the other games they play with the prices. (And no, I agree it's never going
to happen!) But once they do that then it will be easier for us to make the
judgement call that, yes an extra $500 is worth a larger seat.

As it is right now, when I pay $97 for a coach seat and you pay $1200 for the
seat next to me, we have no way of really knowing if the extra space of a
business-class upgrade DOES cost an extra $100 or $5000 or what. We want the
airlines to succeed, but at the same time we naturally don't want to be ripped
off, and since the prices are so complicated we're all wondering if we're
being ripped off even on the squashed-rat seats, let alone upgrades!

- Sharon
"Gravity... is a harsh mistress!"