Playa del Carmen hotel accommodations

Old December 17th, 2005, 08:35 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean

Default Playa del Carmen hotel accommodations

How easy is it to find a place to stay in Playa del Carmen?

I would like to ferry to Cozumel from Playa del Carmen on December 30.
Unfortunately my airplane is not scheduled to land in Cancun until 8:10
pm and I may have to spend a night in Playa del Carmen. I am not very
familiar with Playa (I have been on the ferry a couple of times). I am
interested in your hotel recommendations at a reasonable price (what
can I expect to pay?). I am looking for a clean, quiet hotel with a
decent bed. I am traveling alone and do not speak Spanish.

Today (Dec. 17) I called the ferry company at Playa and found out the
current schedule shows the last ferry from Playa to Cozumel leaves at
10:00 pm. The person I talked to could not give the schedule for
December 30. She told me to call back again next week and perhaps they
would know the schedule for December 30. So ... how easy is it to find
a place to stay in Playa?

Thanks for your help, Terry

Old December 18th, 2005, 07:39 AM posted to rec.travel.caribbean

Another good site for info is www.playa.info. There are many frequent
visitors and ex-pats living there in the forums for that site.

Some places I can think of off the top of my head.... if you're taking
the bus from the airport to Playa (easiest and cheapest way to get
there)... then www.donemilione.com is 100 yards away from the bus
station. It's a nice hotel, and I've booked with them via email
before. This would also be perfectly located for the ferry dock.

However, my understanding is that the ferries normally leave from the
new pier to the north now. This would then make www.hotelzanzibar.com
a better location. I haven't personally stayed there, but the owners
are very active particpants in the above forums I mentioned and many
others say they love the place.

You won't need Spanish at all in Playa, and I'd encourage you to
explore the town, I think you'll love it!

Gregg

Old December 18th, 2005, 07:59 AM posted to rec.travel.caribbean

On 12/17/2005 5:05 PM Nick and Judy Yelled "Wubba-Wubba" then wrote:
Check out this website:
www.iloveplaya.com There are plenty of hotels in PDC.
wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

You might also ask this question over at http://playadelcarmeninfo.com
The forum at that website is hosted by locals. You might take a look at
Don Emilione http://www.donemilione.com/ it's inexpensive clean and a
block or two from the Cozumel ferry. Tank-ha is small, inexpensive and
popular with divers. For future reference, if you stay at the hotel you
get discounts at the Tank-ha dive shop and at businesses around Playa
del Carmen. http://www.tankha.com/hotel/index.html

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old December 18th, 2005, 04:11 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean

Glad to see Brian agrees with me... playa.info is the new, shorter URL
for playadelcarmeninfo.com. If the Don Emilione doesn't work for you,
we can help you out on the forums there. However, please do search
first, or others will be asking if you did so.

Gregg

Old December 19th, 2005, 03:43 AM posted to rec.travel.caribbean

Speaking of PdC and Tank-ha dive center/Hotel Maya Bric, my family
and I stayed there in March after a journey to Valladolid. How has PdC
recovered since the hurricane? How are the beachfront hotels and those
on 5th Street? Is all back to normal? I see the webcam at Shangri-la
(http://www.shangrilacaribe.net/index.html) has been off-line since
the storm (in fact you can see one of the storm bands in the last image,
still on-line). I feared the worst.

ups.com...

Old December 19th, 2005, 06:49 AM posted to rec.travel.caribbean

Haven't been there myself since the Wilma, but there's lots of info on
playa.info. The webcam you speak of actually belongs to playa.info,
they obviously provide a feed to Shangrila Caribe in exchange for
letting them locate it there. The webcam was physically taken down in
preperation for Wilma, and Heather, a playa.info employee, has been
catching flack on their message boards for not getting it back up.

As for your question as to how they faired, the eye hit between Cancun
and Playa, so due to the counter-clockwise rotation, Cancun had winds
coming off the ocean but Playa had the winds coming off the land. This
meant they had a scary time, but a lot easier time. Playa was pretty
well up and operational a few days later. A lot of the trees had the
foliage ripped off, but new foliage was budding within a week.
Apparently the foliage is the only way to tell there ever was a
hurricane.

To give it more perspective, a Super Walmart was under construction
before Wilma hit. The outside walls had not started to go up as of the
day Wilma hit. That Walmart is now open. So places that just needed
some repairs are long ago fixed.

The biggest damage I've heard of in the Playa region is that Mamitas
beach club had to be largely rebuilt (close to finished now), next door
Shagraila Caribe had a few buildings that they tore down and rebuilt,
and to the north La Posada del Captain Lafitte is going to be totally
torn down and rebuilt. Most places just needed to clean up.
Playa.info has a lots of forum posts and pictures regarding Wilma, but
has pretty well moved on as it is a forgotten mermory due to the
minimal damage.

Cancun, of course, is a different story.