Family Vacations: If I could do it over!

Old July 16th, 2005, 02:07 AM
MaxHeadroom

Default Family Vacations: If I could do it over!

I love my family vacations.
Now that my kids are in middle school and high school, what would I do over?
This answer is really intended as unsolicited advice for parents with young
kids (pre-middle school).

Until my first begins middle school where the school work becomes monstrous,
I would do all my vacations and long weekends after labor day and between
winter and spring breaks.

In elementary school, it's always easy to catch up and unless you care about
getting the didn't miss a day of school award, uncrowded vacations and lower
prices are there for the taking.

Once middle school begins, the workload is nearly impossible to keep up with
even without missing school.

Think about it, except for families with teachers, vacation around the
typical holiday periods.

Now, the teachers will say, but your child's absence will cost the school
district money! True enough, but, for me, quality family time is priceless.
And more affordable if aquired during the non-typical holiday periods.

Just thinking out loud (a comment in the east coast beach thread lit my
fuse).

Old July 17th, 2005, 12:42 AM
Jeanne Burton

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 01:07:53 GMT, "MaxHeadroom"
wrote:

I love my family vacations.

Think about it, except for families with teachers, vacation around the
typical holiday periods.

Now, the teachers will say, but your child's absence will cost the school
district money! True enough, but, for me, quality family time is priceless.
And more affordable if aquired during the non-typical holiday periods.

Just thinking out loud (a comment in the east coast beach thread lit my
fuse).

My thinking was always that I'd never ever let school interfere with
my daughter's education...
That said, I remember vividly my daughter coming home from school in
about 7th grade, slamming the door, and yelling "Darn it
Mommy...you've been lying to me ALL MY LIFE!!!" I was justifiably
confused, until she explained "all those fun vacations we took... to
Williamsburg, and San Diego, and the Alamo, and all those other
places...you never told me they were EDUCATIONAL!!"

Jeanne