Driving in South Africa

Old November 17th, 2004, 01:34 PM
Steve Nordseth

Default Driving in South Africa

I am traveling from Johannesburg next June with 4 adults.

Is it possible and advisable to rent a van there and travel to Victoria
Falls? Is one way rental available? Any sites on the way that I should not
miss?

Alternatively we may choose to rent a van and self-tour to Capetown and then
fly to the Victoria Falls area and back to Johannesburg.

Any advise is appreciated?

You may email me directly.

Steve

Old November 17th, 2004, 02:52 PM
Marc Lurie

Driving from Johannesburg to Vic Falls is a pretty long haul, and it'd
be very unpleasant to do it in one day. Other sites in Zimbabwe are
Great Zimbabwe near Masvingo (which is out of your way if you're going
from Beit Bridge to Vic Falls) and Hwange Nat. Park near Bulawayo.

I doubt if you will find a company who will offer one-way rental from
SA to Zimbabwe.

I would self-tour in SA, and fly to Vic Falls.

Marc

Old November 18th, 2004, 12:05 AM
Jean-Marc V. Liotier

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 15:52:26 +0200, Marc Lurie wrote:

Other sites in Zimbabwe are Great Zimbabwe near Masvingo (which is out
of your way if you're going from Beit Bridge to Vic Falls) and Hwange
Nat. Park near Bulawayo.

That is if there is any game left in Hwange. I came accross a BBC article
about the current food situation in Zimbabwe and it seems that shortages
have pushed some people to poaching :

"A sad spinoff of the hunger story is that the new settlers on land once
devoted to wildlife, are trapping and killing the animals. Game that was
once carefully culled is now being slaughtered wholesale.

"We have lost 95% of our game," says one game warder. "Whatever comes
along they will take it. Meat is meat to them."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ld/4002489.stm