HELP KEEP MARRIOTT SMOKEFREE

Old October 25th, 2007, 07:24 PM posted to rec.travel.air
kokiepoint

Default HELP KEEP MARRIOTT SMOKEFREE

HELP KEEP MARRIOTT SMOKEFREE

As a nonsmoking traveler, and a someone who became a Marriott awards
member only when Marriott pledged to be 100% smokefree in all its
hotels, I am outraged and very disappointed that Marriott has now gone
back on its word and agreed to permit smoking at several of their U.S.
hotels, all without warning to travelers.

If you share my concern, and want to join in urging Marriott to honor
its original pledge, please go to http://ash.org/marriott to learn
more about the problem and how you can send a single email of protest
to all the top people at Marriott. Below is an excerpt from an article
in the Washington Post.

After Marriott International announced that its U.S. and Canadian
hotels would go "100 percent smoke-free" last year, the company famous
for its tidy ways said it would train its housekeepers to spot
evidence of smoking.

On Nov. 20, at the Marriott Marquis in Times Square, housekeepers
won't have to search very hard. The hotel is scheduled to host Cigar
Aficionado magazine's Big Smoke, billed as a celebration of "the
pleasures of a fine cigar." A $200 ticket includes more than 25
handmade cigars. Smoking is encouraged.

So much for 100 percent smoke-free. The event, which was also held
last year, has outraged the anti-smoking organization Action on
Smoking and Health [http://ash.org], whose executive director, John F.
Banzhaf III, is accusing Marriott of violating a promise to its
customers -- namely, that its hotels would be smoke-free.

In a letter to the company, Banzhaf wrote, "Staging such an event
would be clearly contrary to -- and make a complete mockery of --
Marriott's pledge to its millions of customers to be '100 percent
smoke-free.' "

Old October 25th, 2007, 10:27 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Justin Case

kokiepoint wrote in
ups.com:

Too bad you have so much extra time on your hands.

Get a life.

Old October 26th, 2007, 01:00 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Tchiowa

On Oct 26, 4:27 am, Justin Case wrote:
kokiepoint wrote roups.com:

Too bad you have so much extra time on your hands.

Get a life.

Get one yourself. It's a serious issue. I spend most of my life
travelling and in hotels. Smoke filled rooms, lobbies, or just the
stench left over from the last guy who smoked in your room is a
problem.

Marriott (and I am Marriott Platinum) promised to solve the problem.
They should honor their promises.

Old October 26th, 2007, 02:47 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Justin Case

Tchiowa wrote in
ups.com:

Get one yourself. It's a serious issue. I spend most of my life
travelling and in hotels. Smoke filled rooms, lobbies, or just the
stench left over from the last guy who smoked in your room is a
problem.

That's a load of crap. I'm a non-smoker and have always been given a
smoke-free room. Grow up.

Old October 26th, 2007, 02:52 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Jim Davis[_1_]

On Oct 25, 5:41 pm, Craig Welch wrote:
kokiepoint said:

On Nov. 20, at the Marriott Marquis in Times Square, housekeepers
won't have to search very hard. The hotel is scheduled to host Cigar
Aficionado magazine's Big Smoke, billed as a celebration of "the
pleasures of a fine cigar." A $200 ticket includes more than 25
handmade cigars. Smoking is encouraged.

Excellent! I might attend this event.

Congratulations to Marriott.

Sounds interesting. I may try to make it too.

Old October 26th, 2007, 03:41 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Brian[_1_]

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 11:24:25 -0700, kokiepoint
wrote:

[...]

I'm against what Marriott is supposedly doing but it seems like much
of the outrage is so that Banzhaf can file a class action lawsuit.

Old October 26th, 2007, 05:59 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Tchiowa

On Oct 26, 8:47 am, Justin Case wrote:
Tchiowa wrote roups.com:

Get one yourself. It's a serious issue. I spend most of my life
travelling and in hotels. Smoke filled rooms, lobbies, or just the
stench left over from the last guy who smoked in your room is a
problem.

That's a load of crap. I'm a non-smoker and have always been given a
smoke-free room. Grow up.

Maybe you need to travel more. I always get a non-smoking room but you
can often smell the residue from the last guy who was there. Plus when
they have smoking in the lobbies or smoking conventions you have to
wade through the smoke to get to your room.

Given that both of your responses in this thread have included a
little "juvenile" snipe at someone, perhaps you should take your own
advice about growing up.

Old October 26th, 2007, 06:38 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic

Craig Welch writes:

Excellent! I might attend this event.

Smokers are a minority, something that Marriott has apparently overlooked in
this case. Short-term thinking instead of long-term wisdom. Perhaps it is
merely a local management mistake.
Old October 26th, 2007, 07:05 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Justin Case[_2_]

Tchiowa wrote in
ups.com:

Maybe you need to travel more. I always get a non-smoking room but you
can often smell the residue from the last guy who was there. Plus when
they have smoking in the lobbies or smoking conventions you have to
wade through the smoke to get to your room.

On the road 2 weeks out of every month. Instead of bitching on a
newsgroup, I generally find the hotels I use (Starwood) will go out of
their way to accomodate if I speak up. The times I spent in Marriot have
been equally accomodating.

If Marriot isn't accomodating you, try staying at the YMCA.
Old October 26th, 2007, 07:31 AM posted to rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_3_]

kokiepoint wrote:
HELP KEEP MARRIOTT SMOKEFREE

As a nonsmoking traveler, and a someone who became a Marriott awards
member only when Marriott pledged to be 100% smokefree in all its
hotels, I am outraged and very disappointed that Marriott has now gone
back on its word and agreed to permit smoking at several of their U.S.
hotels, all without warning to travelers.

If you share my concern, and want to join in urging Marriott to honor
its original pledge, please go to http://ash.org/marriott to learn
more about the problem and how you can send a single email of protest
to all the top people at Marriott. Below is an excerpt from an article
in the Washington Post.

Why don't you just boycott Marriott?