laptop check or take

Old November 4th, 2007, 10:26 PM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD

Default laptop check or take

In message mrtravel
wrote:

JA_MORAN wrote:

IF you decide to put laptop in checked baggage, be sure it is surrounded
by adequate padding, same if you elect to gate check or "valet" your
laptop.

Did you just think this up for yourself?
How often do you check your laptop?

I know no-one that checks a laptop.

I checked a broken one, once. Sadly, it arrived (I was hoping it
wouldn't, since it was more valuable stolen then broken)

--
You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than just a kind word.
Old November 5th, 2007, 03:33 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Tchiowa

On Nov 4, 3:15 pm, mrtravel wrote:
JA_MORAN wrote:
IF you decide to put laptop in checked baggage, be sure it is surrounded
by adequate padding, same if you elect to gate check or "valet" your
laptop.

Did you just think this up for yourself?
How often do you check your laptop?

I know no-one that checks a laptop.

I sometimes travel with 2 laptops. A company and a personal. (Company
doesn't allow personal use of their laptops and they have security so
only their laptops work on their network.) Security has made it clear
they won't let me carry-on 2 laptops. As a result, I've checked
laptops many times. Never had one damaged or stolen.

Old November 5th, 2007, 05:09 AM posted to rec.travel.air
LVTravel[_2_]

True but no longer is that an issue.

wrote in message
oups.com...
On 4 Nov, 04:41, "LVTravel" wrote:
Anyone checking a laptop or other valuables are just asking for them to
be
stolen even if they have TSA locks or any other type of securing devices
on
them. Hand carry any valuables unless you can afford to lose them.

Shortly after 911 some airlines started insisting laptops had to be
checked in and could not be taken as hand luggage.

Old November 5th, 2007, 05:11 AM posted to rec.travel.air
LVTravel[_2_]

oups.com...
JA_MORAN wrote:
IF you decide to put laptop in checked baggage, be sure it is
surrounded
by adequate padding, same if you elect to gate check or "valet" your
laptop.

Did you just think this up for yourself?
How often do you check your laptop?

I know no-one that checks a laptop.

I sometimes travel with 2 laptops. A company and a personal. (Company
doesn't allow personal use of their laptops and they have security so
only their laptops work on their network.) Security has made it clear
they won't let me carry-on 2 laptops. As a result, I've checked
laptops many times. Never had one damaged or stolen.

In this case I would definitely check the company laptop and carry on my
personal one.

Old November 5th, 2007, 06:58 PM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD

In message .com
Tchiowa wrote:

I sometimes travel with 2 laptops. A company and a personal. (Company
doesn't allow personal use of their laptops and they have security so
only their laptops work on their network.) Security has made it clear
they won't let me carry-on 2 laptops. As a result, I've checked
laptops many times. Never had one damaged or stolen.

Odd, I've carrier two without any problem, although only on two
occasions.

--
You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than just a kind word.
Old November 5th, 2007, 08:48 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jim Davis[_1_]

JA_MORAN wrote:
IF you decide to put laptop in checked baggage, be sure it is surrounded
by adequate padding, same if you elect to gate check or "valet" your
laptop.

Did you just think this up for yourself?
How often do you check your laptop?

I know no-one that checks a laptop.

I sometimes travel with 2 laptops. A company and a personal. (Company
doesn't allow personal use of their laptops and they have security so
only their laptops work on their network.) Security has made it clear
they won't let me carry-on 2 laptops. As a result, I've checked
laptops many times. Never had one damaged or stolen.

That's interesting. What reason do they give for not letting you take
2 laptops through?

Old November 6th, 2007, 12:04 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Tchiowa

JA_MORAN wrote:
IF you decide to put laptop in checked baggage, be sure it is surrounded
by adequate padding, same if you elect to gate check or "valet" your
laptop.

Did you just think this up for yourself?
How often do you check your laptop?

I know no-one that checks a laptop.

I sometimes travel with 2 laptops. A company and a personal. (Company
doesn't allow personal use of their laptops and they have security so
only their laptops work on their network.) Security has made it clear
they won't let me carry-on 2 laptops. As a result, I've checked
laptops many times. Never had one damaged or stolen.

That's interesting. What reason do they give for not letting you take
2 laptops through?

It's a government agency. Why would the need a reason? ;-)

It strikes me as just something that looks odd to them. They don't
understand and thus are suspicious. I got tired of the hassle.

Old November 6th, 2007, 12:05 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Tchiowa

oups.com...

JA_MORAN wrote:
IF you decide to put laptop in checked baggage, be sure it is
surrounded
by adequate padding, same if you elect to gate check or "valet" your
laptop.

Did you just think this up for yourself?
How often do you check your laptop?

I know no-one that checks a laptop.

I sometimes travel with 2 laptops. A company and a personal. (Company
doesn't allow personal use of their laptops and they have security so
only their laptops work on their network.) Security has made it clear
they won't let me carry-on 2 laptops. As a result, I've checked
laptops many times. Never had one damaged or stolen.

In this case I would definitely check the company laptop and carry on my
personal one.

I wish I could. Company laptop has company data and thus they are
particular in how I guard it. Which is why I try to avoid taking it in
the first place. But sometimes I have no choice.

Old November 6th, 2007, 01:33 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Brian[_1_]

On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 19:33:49 -0800, Tchiowa
wrote:

I sometimes travel with 2 laptops. A company and a personal. (Company
doesn't allow personal use of their laptops and they have security so
only their laptops work on their network.) Security has made it clear
they won't let me carry-on 2 laptops. As a result, I've checked
laptops many times. Never had one damaged or stolen.

Do you have insurance on them?

Old November 6th, 2007, 03:40 PM posted to rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_3_]

JA_MORAN wrote:

IF you decide to put laptop in checked baggage, be sure it is surrounded
by adequate padding, same if you elect to gate check or "valet" your
laptop.

Did you just think this up for yourself?
How often do you check your laptop?

I know no-one that checks a laptop.

I sometimes travel with 2 laptops. A company and a personal. (Company
doesn't allow personal use of their laptops and they have security so
only their laptops work on their network.) Security has made it clear
they won't let me carry-on 2 laptops. As a result, I've checked
laptops many times. Never had one damaged or stolen.

That's interesting. What reason do they give for not letting you take
2 laptops through?

It is interesting. I sometimes travel with 2 of them and have had no
issues with TSA.