laptop check or take

Old November 6th, 2007, 03:41 PM posted to rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_3_]

Default laptop check or take

Tchiowa wrote:

On Nov 5, 12:11 pm, "LVTravel" wrote:

"Tchiowa" wrote in message

groups.com...

On Nov 4, 3:15 pm, mrtravel wrote:

JA_MORAN wrote:

IF you decide to put laptop in checked baggage, be sure it is
surrounded
by adequate padding, same if you elect to gate check or "valet" your
laptop.

Did you just think this up for yourself?
How often do you check your laptop?

I know no-one that checks a laptop.

I sometimes travel with 2 laptops. A company and a personal. (Company
doesn't allow personal use of their laptops and they have security so
only their laptops work on their network.) Security has made it clear
they won't let me carry-on 2 laptops. As a result, I've checked
laptops many times. Never had one damaged or stolen.

In this case I would definitely check the company laptop and carry on my
personal one.

I wish I could. Company laptop has company data and thus they are
particular in how I guard it. Which is why I try to avoid taking it in
the first place. But sometimes I have no choice.

Isn't the hard drive removaable?
Old November 7th, 2007, 06:21 AM posted to rec.travel.air
JA_Moran

Having worked on the ramp at a major airport that handles domestic and
international service, I was relating what I have seen

some ramp workers are more gentile than others with luggage.

Of course when you are inside the aircraft and bags are coming up the
belt at you, there are usually 2 or 3 people plunking bags on the belt
but just you inside the plane trying to figure out where to put things

where things get put is a function of their size or geometry and also
when the bag gets put on the belt...

If you have a gymbag or back pack that contains a laptop and it is one
of the first bags sent up, it may be on the bottom of the stack. However
if it is one of the last, it probably will be on the top. If the plane
encounters turbulenance, things will shift and jostle, the bag containng
the laptop could fall or hav something else fall ontop of it.

If you gate check or "valet" your bag, normally these are handed down to
someone on the ramp by someone standing up on the jetway, or course
these bags can be dropped too.

Brian wrote:
On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 19:33:49 -0800, Tchiowa
wrote:

I sometimes travel with 2 laptops. A company and a personal. (Company
doesn't allow personal use of their laptops and they have security so
only their laptops work on their network.) Security has made it clear
they won't let me carry-on 2 laptops. As a result, I've checked
laptops many times. Never had one damaged or stolen.

Do you have insurance on them?

Old November 7th, 2007, 09:34 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Tchiowa

wrote:

I sometimes travel with 2 laptops. A company and a personal. (Company
doesn't allow personal use of their laptops and they have security so
only their laptops work on their network.) Security has made it clear
they won't let me carry-on 2 laptops. As a result, I've checked
laptops many times. Never had one damaged or stolen.

Do you have insurance on them?

No. No need. If you figure the odds of one getting stolen and compare
that with the cost, you could afford to have one stolen every few
years and come out ahead.

Old November 8th, 2007, 11:54 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Jim Davis[_1_]

On Nov 7, 7:43 pm, Craig Welch wrote:
JA_MORAN said:

Having worked on the ramp at a major airport that handles domestic and
international service, I was relating what I have seen

That's odd. You're a senior systems engineer. Why are you working on
the ramp?

If you go back through the archives, you'll find he's a chicken farmer
in Tuscon.

Old November 9th, 2007, 10:48 AM posted to rec.travel.air
JA_Moran

always liked planes and flying
I am also a private pilot too.

I admit it's more fun when you I am at the controls than when someone
else is. as long as you use your head, do your preflight and manage your
fuel, flying is very safe. It's often faster now getting in my plane
than taking an airliner as I just get fuel, do the preflight, file the
flight plan and go on my schedule

plus working even part-time for an airline, or even federal-express
gives you free flight benefits on the carrier you work for or other
carriers.

Old November 9th, 2007, 10:56 AM posted to rec.travel.air
JA_Moran

I work for a commuter airline in the mornings a few days a week and in
the data center at night.

so far no alerts tonight and that is a good thing

raising poultry is a lot of fun and a nice diversion from being here in
the data center and having people call and wonder when the system will
be back up or argue with me about down time and file sizes.

I used to travel soo much even the airport janitors would put down their
mops and say hi. Also many of the gate and ticket agents knew my name
many of the flight attendants did too. The pilots are usually up front
and its hard to talk to them unless before or after the flight.

Old November 9th, 2007, 03:55 PM posted to rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_3_]

JA_MORAN wrote:

I work for a commuter airline in the mornings a few days a week and in
the data center at night.

so far no alerts tonight and that is a good thing

raising poultry is a lot of fun and a nice diversion from being here in
the data center and having people call and wonder when the system will
be back up or argue with me about down time and file sizes.

I used to travel soo much even the airport janitors would put down their
mops and say hi.

Did the toilets salute you?

For a visual, try to locate a copy of the movie "No Time For Sergeants"
from 1958.