Tauck Tour-Tanzania Classic African Safari???

Old November 14th, 2004, 03:24 PM
Jeanne McCann

Default Tauck Tour-Tanzania Classic African Safari???

Anyone done this tour? My son is booking one for late July. He is looking
for advice. He is not on-line and asked me to research for him. Thanks.

Old November 16th, 2004, 04:37 AM
ClimbHighSleepLow

"Jeanne McCann" wrote in message ...
Anyone done this tour? My son is booking one for late July. He is looking
for advice. He is not on-line and asked me to research for him. Thanks.

Jeanne

Not sure what you expect to hear, but your son is paying almost $500
per night for a group tour staying in fine (but certainly not the
best) lodges/camps while visiting a series of National Parks. Two
nights in Ngorongoro is too much and driving all the way to Kirawira
for two nights is interesting because he will see most of the wildlife
during his stay at the Serena at Seronera. And his game drives will be
towards Seronera anyway!

In early August the migration should be in the Northern Serengeti
and/or Masai Mara so in all likelyhood he will not experience that on
this itinerary (I trust he knows that?)

Do I think this tour is rather expensive given the inflexible
itinerary? You bet!

Old November 16th, 2004, 09:12 AM
Rita Daggett

Not sure what you expect to hear, but your son is paying almost $500
per night for a group tour staying in fine (but certainly not the
best) lodges/camps while visiting a series of National Parks. Two
nights in Ngorongoro is too much

I disagree with that! We stayed three nights at Ngorongoro so that we could
have two full days in the Crater and dont regret it.

and driving all the way to Kirawira
for two nights is interesting because he will see most of the wildlife
during his stay at the Serena at Seronera. And his game drives will be
towards Seronera anyway!

Have to agree that I didnt think Kirawira was 'worth it' - its a very
'upmarket' lodge with some spectacular views but I thought it was a bit
'over the top'
Personally, I think most of the tours which only do two nights in each place
are a bit too rushed; you spend too much time driving from place to place
and never 'settle in' but at least it gives you a chance to decide which
places you might like to return to!

--
Rita Daggett

Old November 16th, 2004, 06:19 PM
ClimbHighSleepLow

"Rita Daggett" wrote in message ...

[...]

Hi Rita, 3 nights in Ngorongoro?

Too many vehicles around for my liking. It's a must see but every time
I go there I cannot wait to get away from the crowds!
IMO, the best way to do the Crater is to go down in the afternoon
about 2-3 hours before closing - at that time most vehicles are
starting to leave. I make sure that we are about last to leave!
I then stay the night and return early the next morning as the gate
opens (and the tourists are in the lodges having breakfast!). We then
stay for 3-4 hours and leave as the crowds from Arusha and elsewhere
start to arrive.

I guess I can repeat the same pattern for 2 or 3 days and relax at the
lodge during the mid-day, but I'd rather opt for a private tented camp
elsewhere where I can hear the wildlife nearby!

Kirawira remains a mystery to me. I just don't know if I like it not.
I like to stay at Grumeti (or a private tented camp to the east) and
visit Kirawira for afternoon tea while watching the sunset. I feel
much closer to nature at Grumeti where the hippos are feeding next to
my tent at night! Kirawira may be too high on the hill. But both are
"seasonal". I have to have good reasons to visit this area when the
migration is not around. Central Serengeti is better as a year-round
location.
Just my personal views though.

Old November 16th, 2004, 06:38 PM
Liz

In message
"Rita Daggett" wrote:

Not sure what you expect to hear, but your son is paying almost $500
per night for a group tour staying in fine (but certainly not the
best) lodges/camps while visiting a series of National Parks. Two
nights in Ngorongoro is too much

I disagree with that! We stayed three nights at Ngorongoro so that we could
have two full days in the Crater and dont regret it.

Me2!
We did exactly the same, and after two full days we still felt we'd rushed,
and hadn't visted all the habitats.

Personally, I think most of the tours which only do two nights in each place
are a bit too rushed; you spend too much time driving from place to place
and never 'settle in' but at least it gives you a chance to decide which
places you might like to return to!

My sentiments exactly.
Quite a few tours, particularly in Kenya, have a one-night, two-night
routine, which should really only be regarded as a recce.

Slainte

Liz

--
Virtual Liz now at http://www.v-liz.com
Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Seychelles; Galapagos

Old November 16th, 2004, 06:54 PM
Liz

In message
(ClimbHighSleepLow) wrote:

Hi Rita, 3 nights in Ngorongoro?

Too many vehicles around for my liking. It's a must see but every time
I go there I cannot wait to get away from the crowds!

I was there in early July and it really wasn't a problem, although the
lodges were mostly full.

Our driver knew we didn't want to be in crowds, so he drove in less popular
areas: it's a big caldera and it wasn't difficult. Also as always, we were
late for lunch, so didn't even get mobbed by the kites at the picnic site.
The only time we were in a crowd was around two huge pythons, which we chose
to go to look at.

In a vehicle with others, you may have less flexibility: if the others in
the vehicle "just want to see cats" (a not-unusual scenario, by which they
don't seem to mean servals) you are condemned to spending most of your time
n a circle with other vehicles. But not always: even in the Ngorongoro we
spent time on our own with a group of lionesses, one of whom was very close
to giving birth.

Although it's already over two years since I've been in EA :-((( I'd imagine
a budget of $500 pppd would be enough to have a private safari, if there
were two people travelling together. Sadly, sss would push the single person
price above this (which is why I'm being priced out, sadly).

Slainte

Liz