vancouver to sydney

Old September 12th, 2006, 12:47 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
ant[_7_]

Default vancouver to sydney

.. wrote:
On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 20:41:01 +1000, "ant"
wrote:

Ken Pisichko wrote:

Try to avoid going through the USA. Right now the USA is so
fixated with security that the TSA Safety Stazi will go through
your checked baggage and make a total mess of it - and then leave
an official notice stating they they legally did that. No effort
is made to keep any of your items in and semblance of order:
cookies are crushed, bicycle tools are mixed up with books, etc...

They've been doing that for the last few years. There NO point in
carefully packing, wedging, wrapping things. tehy seem to go to
some trouble to jumble everything up. The damage done to stuff is
amazing, it's like they and the baggage handlers are in league
against the contents of your luggage.

Quoting you "The damage done to stuff is amazing" - could you please
clarify. What have you had broken.

Literally, anything breakable. Last trip home, I had bought a lot of
lipsticks on sale, and packed them in a clear plastic hard case. Several of
them were cracked. Every trip in the last 3 years my coffee plunger has
been broken. One was double-skinned plastic. This never used to happen. They
are always wrapped in a large garment, like a fleece jacket. Everything is
padded and packed so nothing moves. And every single time, the wonderful TSA
and the wonderful baggage handlers carefully ensure that everything is
clanking and smashing around loose.

And how many times have you passed through the US since 9/11 and have
had your goods 'jumbled/broken' etc. Can you describe what was
broken and how it was originally wrapped etc?

I travel to the US every year. Since 97. I come there, and then I travel
within the country as well. Do you ever leave Texas? actually, since this
would probably involve flying Continental, I can understand if you haven't.

And, as well as comparing US airlines and airports with non-US, I can also
compare pre S 11 with post S 11.

Fact - never wrap prezzies etc when travelling internationally.
That has been the 'rule' for many, many years, most likely more than
you have been on this planet.

Prezzies? What are you drivelling about?

When passing through the US, after your arrival at your point of
destintion, have you opened your bags and found any notification
inside your bag i.e. leaflet/card etc, advising you your bags have
been searched?

Sometimes I get the ill-written leaflet from TSA, other times not. I check
my things after each leg of the flights, and the problems are ALWAYS either
on arriving at LAX, or after the domestic US leg.

Do you use soft or hard bags?

soft. Very large ones. Hard bags weigh a lot and are not as durable as some
people seem to think.

So, Texan, what is your substantive knowledge of flying in or to/from the
US? Or are you just going "USA-USA-USA"? Your airports and baggage handling
are woeful, but if all you compare them to is the US, guess what? They are
still woeful!

I've justified myself, now, let's hear what knowledge and evidence YOU have?

--
ant
Don't try to email me;

Old September 12th, 2006, 03:09 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Frank Slootweg

ant wrote:
.. wrote:

[deleted]

Fact - never wrap prezzies etc when travelling internationally.
That has been the 'rule' for many, many years, most likely more than
you have been on this planet.

Prezzies? What are you drivelling about?

It's Strine [1] (Aus-speak) for presents.

[deleted]

[1] http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Strine
Old September 12th, 2006, 11:01 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Keith Sayers

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 21:40:45 -0500, Ken Pisichko wrote:

If you fly from Vancouver try to bypass the USA (even Hawaii). I
understand that folks going through Japan, Hong Kong etc don't have to
put up with such searches and STILL have safe travel.

Correct - last year I flew Sydney - Taipei - Vancouver with no
problems and when I later crossed into the U.S. on a Greyhound bus
they made a big fuss over immigration - eyes, fingerprints, passport,
face, etc, but never looked at luggage.

Keith Sayers, Canberra, Australia
Mail : 6 Clambe Place,
CHARNWOOD, ACT 2615
http://www.pcug.org.au/~kmsayers
Old September 24th, 2006, 08:26 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Rudy[_1_]

"Keith Sayers" wrote in message
On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 21:40:45 -0500, Ken Pisichko wrote:

If you fly from Vancouver try to bypass the USA (even Hawaii). I
understand that folks going through Japan, Hong Kong etc don't have to
put up with such searches and STILL have safe travel.

Correct - last year I flew Sydney - Taipei - Vancouver with no
problems

We re flying Korean : YVR-ICN-SYD