Self driving plan (form Sydney to Melbourne in October)

Old July 31st, 2005, 09:27 PM
Alex

Default Self driving plan (form Sydney to Melbourne in October)

Hello,
I'd like to ask experienced people to estimate practicability of my
3-day drive plan from Sydney to Melbourne this October.
Thanks a lot in advance...

Sunday: Leave Katoomba at about 16:00-17:00 and drive to Eden (via
Bulli). Arrival at Eden at about 22:00.

Monday: Whale Watching 8.30-12.00, some short shore walk after that.
Leave to Thredbo at about 14:00-15:00, arrive there in the evening.
Tuesday: Kosciuszko Summit Guided Walk 10:00 to 15:30. Leave back to
Eden. Arrival at Eden in the evening.
Wednesday: Leave Eden to Phillip Island, pinguin parade and arrival at
Melbourne in the evening.

Is it doable ?
Did I left some major attractions out ?
What path would You suggest for mentioned above time constraints ?
How much time the Eden-Thredbo drive suppose to take (I had neiver
drived on the left-side of the road nor in the mountains)?

Thanks a lot

Old August 1st, 2005, 12:38 AM
Alan S

On 31 Jul 2005 13:27:07 -0700, "Alex"
wrote:

[...]

Is it doable? Yes. Is it worth the effort? Doubtful.

I'm assuming that driving on the left is not a problem.
However, there are a few things to take into consideration.

Even on a Sunday, from Katoomba to Eden is a slow drive.
First you have to get down from the Blue Mountains, then
through Sydney's outskirts, then often single-lane highways
through a lot of coastal towns to Eden.

In fact, most of the trip you plan is on single-lane
highways, many of them winding through hilly country. That
final drive from Eden to PI is a very long day's drive as
well.

Why are you back-tracking through Eden rather than
continuing from Thredbo, or vice-versa.

Using your time constraints, and on the assumption that your
criteria are to visit Eden, Thredbo(Kosciuszko) and the
penguins, try this:

Leave Katoomba at about 16:00-17:00 Sunday (preferably
earlier) and drive to Cooma or Thredbo via Canberra. You're
going to arrive quite late - make sure you've pre-arranged
accommodation for that.

Monday: Kosciuszko Summit Guided Walk 10:00 to 15:30. Then
drive to Eden. Arrival at Eden in the evening about
dinnertime.

Tuesday: Whale Watching 8.30-12.00, some short shore walk
after that. Leave for Orbost or Lakes Entrance after lunch.

Wednesday: Leave Orbost or Lakes Entrance for Phillip
Island, penguin parade and arrival at Melbourne in the
evening. Or, stay at the Island and continue to Melbourne
the following morning (it's a good two hours drive).

To be honest, at that time of year I'm not sure I'd travel
that far in the dark just to see the top of Kosciuszko.
Unless that's a passion for you, I'd give it a miss and make
a much more leisurely trip down the coast, staying at
Wollongong, Kiama or Nowra on the Sunday night and taking
the time to wander around some of the towns like Berri,
Ulladulla or Bateman's Bay on the way to Eden for Monday
night. Then, Lakes Entrance after the whales on Tuesday
night and Cowes on Wednesday night, to Melbourne on Thursday
morning.

Alternatively, stay the first night in Canberra and head to
Eden via Cooma after visiting the Capital.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old August 1st, 2005, 01:06 AM
Bill

That first bit from Katoomba to Eden is quite a warm up drive!

www.whereis.com.au has it as 599kms (10.5 hours) via Canberra. I think
their conservative times allow for average speed and breaks.

www.racq.com.au has it as 564kms and 8.10 hours.

Personally I would avoid Sydney and use the Hume Hwy Federal Hwy
Canberra Monaro Hwy Cooma Bega, as time is your issue. The Brown Mountain can be interesting at night :-). Overnight in Canberra, Queanbeyan or Cooma.

Driving at dusk/night carries wildlife warnings, roos, wombats, etc.

Mt Kosi if you have to but it is only some 7000ft high and there should
still be snow in October.

Good luck
Bill

Old August 1st, 2005, 02:34 AM
Gerrit 't Hart

"Alex" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I agree with Alan S.
Drive from Katoomba to Cooma (or Thredbo) and do the Kosciusco walk the next
morning. Then On to Eden etc.
The summit walk does not have to be the guided one. We have done it wothout
guide and it is almost impossible to go wrong. Remember though as someone
has said there could still be (icy) snow. Also it could be that the walk is
closed due to inclement weather. Check with the rangers beforehand!

Gerrit

Old August 4th, 2005, 11:30 AM
Alex

Hello and thanks for answering me...
According to group's replies I've updated my plan. Please advice
Sunday: Leave Blue Mountains at 17:00, drive to Shellharbour and stay
there for a night.
Monday: Kiama, Jervis Bay and drive to Eden, arrive at Eden in the
evening and stay for a night
Tuesday: Whale watching at Eden, do some walking in the area and
afternoon
drive to Lakes Entrance
Wednesday: Drive to Philip Island in the morning, nature walking and
pinguin parade. Drive to Melbourne after that.

What do You think about this plan ?
Did I leave any major attractions out ?
How's the weather in those regions in early October ?
What would You suggest we do in Jervis Bay (Is shnorkeling in Oct is
fine over there)?
Thank You very much
Alex

Old August 4th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Alan S

On 4 Aug 2005 03:30:22 -0700, "Alex"
wrote:

Hello and thanks for answering me...
According to group's replies I've updated my plan. Please advice
Sunday: Leave Blue Mountains at 17:00, drive to Shellharbour and stay
there for a night.
Monday: Kiama, Jervis Bay and drive to Eden, arrive at Eden in the
evening and stay for a night
Tuesday: Whale watching at Eden, do some walking in the area and
afternoon
drive to Lakes Entrance
Wednesday: Drive to Philip Island in the morning, nature walking and
pinguin parade. Drive to Melbourne after that.

What do You think about this plan ?
Did I leave any major attractions out ?
How's the weather in those regions in early October ?
What would You suggest we do in Jervis Bay (Is shnorkeling in Oct is
fine over there)?
Thank You very much
Alex

Sounds much better.

On major attractions - you can't do everything in a
three-day trip; I think you'll enjoy it.

On water temperature, October is early in the season, and
the water will get cooler as you go further south. However,
whether you think it's too cold will eepend on what you are
used to.

I'd keep it flexible - there are lots of motels and no real
need to book at that time of the year.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old August 4th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Dave Proctor

On 31 Jul 2005 13:27:07 -0700, "Alex" wrote:

Hello,
I'd like to ask experienced people to estimate practicability of my
3-day drive plan from Sydney to Melbourne this October.
Thanks a lot in advance...

Sunday: Leave Katoomba at about 16:00-17:00 and drive to Eden (via
Bulli). Arrival at Eden at about 22:00.

Leave Katoomba before 1200 or after 1800 - you do not want to travel
east-bound on the Great Western Goattrack during these times, unless
you like crawling along at about 15km/h.

Dave
(Katoomba taxi driver)
Old August 4th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Dave Proctor

On 4 Aug 2005 03:30:22 -0700, "Alex" wrote:

Hello and thanks for answering me...
According to group's replies I've updated my plan. Please advice
Sunday: Leave Blue Mountains at 17:00, drive to Shellharbour and stay
there for a night.
Monday: Kiama, Jervis Bay and drive to Eden, arrive at Eden in the
evening and stay for a night
Tuesday: Whale watching at Eden, do some walking in the area and
afternoon
drive to Lakes Entrance
Wednesday: Drive to Philip Island in the morning, nature walking and
pinguin parade. Drive to Melbourne after that.

What do You think about this plan ?
Did I leave any major attractions out ?
How's the weather in those regions in early October ?
What would You suggest we do in Jervis Bay (Is shnorkeling in Oct is
fine over there)?

Much better itinerary, although I would be leaving Katoomba
mid-morning for the drive down the hill. Alternatively, you could go
cross-country, go west to Hartley, take the Jenolan Caves turn off and
go through Oberon. A visit to the caves might appeal. From Oberon you
go to Goulburn, be warned there is about 50km of dirt road. From
Goulburn you could comfortably get to various places on the South
Coast, but would be looking at around Batemans Bay or below.

Dave

=====

There are 10 types of people - those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Old August 4th, 2005, 05:26 PM
Alex

Thank You very much for Your answers. This kind of useful information
can only be find in the newsgroup.
I have a few last questions, if You don't mind
How much time will it take me to drive from Katoomba (after 18:00) to
Shellharbour?
From Katoomba to Jervis Bay ?
From Jervis Bay to Eden ?
From Eden to Lakes Entrance ?

And finally... from Lakes Entrance to Philip Island ?
I'm aware that there are no exact times for that, all I need is an
approximation...
Thanks a lot in advance...
Alex