Breaking News: AA and UA to merge!

Old April 7th, 2004, 05:24 AM
mtravelkay

Default Breaking News: AA and UA to merge!

Scott M. Kozel wrote:

Look, the original post blew chunks. Its post date on my news server,
and on the Google archives, is Wed, 31 Mar 2004 20:37:51 -0500. I saw
the post about 5 minutes after it posted, and that was right about 5
minutes after 8:37 PM US EST on March 31st.

I see "April Fools Jokes" on some of the regional newsgroups (i.e.
where it is easy to get it on April 1st for the whole audience) that I
read, and I don't mind them in principle. If I see something like that
on April 1st, usually I just think "April Fools! Ha! Ha!" and move on.

In this case, it was about the merger of American Airlines and United
Airlines, two airlines that are headquartered in the U.S. It is up to
the April Fooler to provide a joke that is funny, and well-executed and
well-timed. Given that the 4 time zones in the continental U.S. had
March 31st PM times of 8:37, 7:37, 6:37 and 5:37, respectively heading
west, it was not immediately apparent that this was an "April Fools
Joke", and that made the post just plain annoying as well as deceptive.

This is the risk that you take when you attempt a worldwide "April Fools
Joke".

Like I said, the original post blew chunks.

Maybe you consider what you said in your second line... The post date
showed 31 March 2004 20:37:51 -0500..... Surely you knew what the -0500
meant? It meant that it if you added 5 hours to the time you would
clearly see it was April 1.

Old April 7th, 2004, 07:08 AM
Lady Pilot

"John Mazor" wrote:
"Pooh Bear" : wrote:

Anyone interested in 'turning the clock back' ?

No! We just turned ours forward for Daylight Savings Time. It took me

the
better part of an hour Sunday morning to reset all my clocks and watches,

A man with ambition! How wonderful..tehehehe

and at my age I need at least a month to adjust my circadian rhythms.

Hmm, not sure what "circadian rhytms" are...I just know I've been waking up
an hour late every morning. Things could be worse, mind you...

LP :-)

Old April 7th, 2004, 07:10 AM
Lady Pilot

"John Mazor" wrote:
"JL Grasso" wrote in message
On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 02:54:44 +0100, Pooh Bear
wrote:

John Mazor wrote:

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

Anyone interested in 'turning the clock back' ?

No! We just turned ours forward for Daylight Savings Time. It took

me
the
better part of an hour Sunday morning to reset all my clocks and

watches,
and at my age I need at least a month to adjust my circadian rhythms.

Do Brits even believe in daylight saving time? I think they did

something
to benefit production in WW2. Listening to the BBC World News feed

at
midnight last night, I noticed that the GMT difference shift had

shifted by
one hour, so apparently you folks didn't fast-forward your clocks an

hour at
2:00 a.m. Sunday morning like we did.

Not last Sunday - the one before !

There's been some conjecture about the continuing sense of daylight

saving time
- or British Summer Time as it's known here.

You should see +01:00 in my current posting time btw.

That's your offset to GMT, IINM. Your post date showed 02:55:14 BST

here.

We should have called ours American Summer Time. Daylight Savings Time
sounds so JCPennyish...

It sounds even more like the K-Mart Blue Light Specials.

What ever happened to that, anyway? K-Mart seems to have thought it could
go upscale with brands like Martha Stewart. Maybe they'll be able offer

the
Martha Stewart Designer License Plate now.

I can always count on you for a laugh with things get tough, Mazor!
hehehee

LP (he always bets me to it..)

Old April 8th, 2004, 01:55 AM
John Mazor

"Lady Pilot" wrote in message

"John Mazor" wrote:
"Pooh Bear" : wrote:

Anyone interested in 'turning the clock back' ?

No! We just turned ours forward for Daylight Savings Time. It took me

the
better part of an hour Sunday morning to reset all my clocks and

watches,

A man with ambition! How wonderful..tehehehe

It beat the hell out of cleaning the toilet, which was next on the list.

and at my age I need at least a month to adjust my circadian rhythms.

Hmm, not sure what "circadian rhytms" are...I just know I've been waking

up
an hour late every morning. Things could be worse, mind you...

Yep, like not waking up at all.

To quote Dave Barry, "Circadian Rhythms" would be a great name for a rock
band.

Old April 8th, 2004, 01:59 AM
John Mazor

"Lady Pilot" wrote in message

"John Mazor" wrote:
"JL Grasso" wrote in message

We should have called ours American Summer Time. Daylight Savings Time
sounds so JCPennyish...

It sounds even more like the K-Mart Blue Light Specials.

What ever happened to that, anyway? K-Mart seems to have thought it

could
go upscale with brands like Martha Stewart. Maybe they'll be able offer

the Martha Stewart Designer License Plate now.

I can always count on you for a laugh with things get tough, Mazor!
hehehee

LP (he always bets me to it..)

It's a God-given talent that I feel obliged to inflict on... er, share with
my fellow creatures.

Old April 8th, 2004, 07:06 AM
running with scissors

"John Mazor" wrote:
"Pooh Bear" : wrote:

Anyone interested in 'turning the clock back' ?

No! We just turned ours forward for Daylight Savings Time. It took me

the
better part of an hour Sunday morning to reset all my clocks and

watches,

A man with ambition! How wonderful..tehehehe

It beat the hell out of cleaning the toilet, which was next on the list.

and at my age I need at least a month to adjust my circadian rhythms.

Hmm, not sure what "circadian rhytms" are...I just know I've been waking

up
an hour late every morning. Things could be worse, mind you...

Yep, like not waking up at all.

To quote Dave Barry, "Circadian Rhythms" would be a great name for a rock
band.

depends if Johnny Asia is on guitar.
Old April 9th, 2004, 03:54 AM
John Mazor

"running with scissors" wrote in
message om...

"John Mazor" wrote:
"Pooh Bear" : wrote:

[...]

I believe he plays for the group Acute Cardiac Dysrhythmia.