Travel agent school question

Old November 14th, 2003, 10:44 AM
None

Default Travel agent school question

It's a waste of money. Just find an agency that is willing to hire you on
and teach you as you go. The biggest portion of travel school is the type
of reservation system, if any, that they train you on. Then, you are pretty
much restricted to finding an agency to work in that uses that same system.
Remember, since most airlines no longer pay a commission to travel agents
for ticket sales (the major reason behind the financial downfalls of the
airlines) a lot of agencies are just using the internet now rather than
paying some airline to lease it's reservation system.

Unless you plan on working in a corporate travel office, and that's not
something you can just walk in and expect OJT for, travel school is pretty
much a waste of time, and a money grab for whomever is running the
"school" - there's no degree, you might get a pretty little certificate, but
if thats all you want, just get a good graphics program and make your own.
:-)

"Pam" wrote in message
I am thinking about going to travel agent school. It is a 3 month course

and cost 2000.00
Can I get some travel agents opinions on going to travel school please. I

am told that it would be a waste of money and that I dont need to go to
travel school to learn to be a travel agent. What is other travel agents
opinion on this. Thank you for your time in advance.

Pam

Old November 14th, 2003, 11:38 AM
Miss L. Toe

Remember, since most airlines no longer pay a commission to travel agents
for ticket sales (the major reason behind the financial downfalls of the
airlines)

How do you work that out ?
I thought the airlines were in trouble long before they cut commissions.

Old November 14th, 2003, 11:52 AM
None

They were, and then the intelligence that is corporate america decided to
"save money" by killing off travel agent comissions and all they ended up
doing is watching their bookings drop down into a bottomless pit.

Old November 14th, 2003, 05:41 PM
alohacyberian

"None" wrote in message
k.net...
They were, and then the intelligence that is corporate america decided to
"save money" by killing off travel agent comissions and all they ended up
doing is watching their bookings drop down into a bottomless pit.

Are you suggesting that people stopped flying because they couldn't buy
tickets through travel agencies who got commissions from the airlines? Sounds
like sour grapes. I think 9-11 had a greater impact on ticket sales and I
don't think the average person who used travel agents would decline to fly
because the agents weren't getting commissions from the airlines. KM
--
(-:alohacyberian:-) At my website there are 3000 live cameras or
visit NASA, play games, read jokes, send greeting cards & connect

Old November 14th, 2003, 06:41 PM
None

"alohacyberian" wrote in message
news
"None" wrote in message
k.net...
They were, and then the intelligence that is corporate america decided

"save money" by killing off travel agent comissions and all they ended

up
doing is watching their bookings drop down into a bottomless pit.

Are you suggesting that people stopped flying because they couldn't buy
tickets through travel agencies who got commissions from the airlines?

Does it look that that is what I said? The airlines that stopped paying
agent commissions, stopped getting their bookings and their bookings fell,
the airlines themselves admit it. The airlines that did NOT stop paying
commissions, GOT those bookings and guess what, they are the only ones who
continued to post profits, even after 9/11, such as AirTran and Southwest,
both who continue to pay agency commissions.. Corporate greed killed off
travel agent commissions (by that I mean airline corporations) and in doing
so, they killed of a **** load of business. They admit it, so should you.

I think 9-11 had a greater impact on ticket sales

No it didn't. Big airlines were hurting long before 9/11. To them, 9/11
was a stroke of luck, because it became an excuse to lay their **** poor
management of an airline off onto the taxpayers. Analysts have clearly
stated that the airlines would have gone down the ****ter even if 9/11 never
happened, just a little slower is all. UA and USAir were already facing
bankruptcy, as was America West and Midway. The taxpayer bailout just kept
them afloat a bit longer.

and I
don't think the average person who used travel agents would decline to fly
because the agents weren't getting commissions from the airlines. KM

You misread the statement. Try again.

Old November 15th, 2003, 12:13 AM
mrtravel

None wrote:

Remember, since most airlines no longer pay a commission to travel agents
for ticket sales (the major reason behind the financial downfalls of the
airlines)

So, the were making wads of money and suddenly decided to cut
commissions to make even more money??? I thought it was to save money
because they were losing money..

Old November 15th, 2003, 12:23 AM
None

"mrtravel" wrote in message
None wrote:

Remember, since most airlines no longer pay a commission to travel

agents
for ticket sales (the major reason behind the financial downfalls of the
airlines)

So, the were making wads of money and suddenly decided to cut
commissions to make even more money??? I thought it was to save money
because they were losing money..

That would be the corporate airline mentality. We want more money, so lets
cut the throats of the very industry that fills over 60% of the seats in our
planes.

Yeah, right. Greed ALWAYS equals stupidity.

Old November 15th, 2003, 12:25 AM
mrtravel

None wrote:
That would be the corporate airline mentality. We want more money, so lets
cut the throats of the very industry that fills over 60% of the seats in our
planes.

Yeah, right. Greed ALWAYS equals stupidity.

60 percent at some point and falling quite rapidly .... The WWW made it
more cost efficient to now have to use an agent to handle normal
bookings. Why should customers not using an agent pay the same price as
the ones that are?