Taking a 1 year old baby - infant or pay for seat as child ?

Old September 7th, 2004, 06:13 PM
Binyamin Dissen

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 16:50:57 GMT (Kristina) wrote:

:GOD help that this screamer is sitting within 20 rows of me.

I don't understand why you'all hate kids so much.

I can sleep, even with a crying baby near me.

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com

Old September 7th, 2004, 06:33 PM
Kristina

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 20:13:54 +0300, Binyamin Dissen
wrote:

I don't understand why you'all hate kids so much.

I can sleep, even with a crying baby near me.

I don't hate kids at all. I just do not want them anywhere near me on
an airplane.

kris
Old September 7th, 2004, 06:54 PM
PTravel

wrote:

:GOD help that this screamer is sitting within 20 rows of me.

I don't understand why you'all hate kids so much.

No one here hates kids.

I can sleep, even with a crying baby near me.

Well, good for you. We can't.

Old September 7th, 2004, 07:33 PM
jenn

John R. Levine wrote:

Sure. They will be happy to sell you a seat at the child fare for
your baby. If you take along an infant seat, make sure it has a
sticker that says it's FAA approved or they'll make you check it.

I find it really odd that the seat has to have an approved sticker on it.
Yet on the UA domestic flights we were on in January of this year, babies
were sat on their mothers laps WITHOUT any lap belts- not even for take off/
landing. I know that I'd rather have a child strapped into a non approved
seat than one literally flying around the cabin if there was an emergency.

Hey, I didn't say it made any sense, but I've seen FA's look at
booster seats, note that they had the car sticker but not the FAA
sticker, and then check them.

The theory may be that lacking an FAA sticker the seats themselves are
likely to turn into flying objects, but your guess is really as good
as mine. One practical issue is that cars have under three-point
belts, plane two-point.

it is all about liability -- the airline is not liable for the dead
flying baby but might be if they allowed unapproved seats which then
proved inadequate or lethal

when my son was a year old, we had a harness made by Sears for car use
[this was before there was widespread use of car seats ] the harness
allowed a seat belt to be put through the back for use by toddlers who
had outgrown the only car seat then available for babies. The harness
was designed to spread the force of the stop so it wouldn't injure the
baby as a car seat alone would.

Airlines would not allow me to use this -- they insisted that the baby
sit on my lap unrestrained -- rather than letting me either put him in a
seat with the belt through the harness OR in my lap with my belt through
the back of his harness. Obviously even if the harness had been
ineffective, odds were better than nothing. [I ended up using the
harness but not letting the FAs be aware that he was attached to me as
well as sitting in my lap]
Old September 7th, 2004, 07:35 PM
jenn

PTravel wrote:

"paul williams" wrote in message
m...

"MLR" wrote in message

link.net...

"paul williams" wrote in message
le.com...

Am I right in saying that a passenger registered/paid for as an

infant

does not get a plane seat and is expected to sit on the parents lap?

Seems a bit awkward to me - a boisterous 1 year old jumping up and
down for 8 hours !!! Or do the airlines provide extra facilities for
these cases ?

Alternatively, is it acceptable to pay for your infant as a child

seat

(I know it costs more!) to get the extra room ?

What would you do?

Stay home, rather than subject other passengers to the boisterous,

jumping

up and down infant.

Amen to the above. And I'd wish you an absolutely MISERABLE trip - it's
certainly what you can expect, and just what you deserve for being so
self-absorbed and selfish.

So, you're saying my baby should not be allowed to travel ?

I would hope that the parents of a "boisterous and jumping 1-year-old" would
have enough consideration for other passengers to not bring the child on
board.

Agree, uncontrolled children are a complete nightmare but theres no
way my son will be uncontrolled. He might be a bit active but I'll do
my utmost to ensure he doesnt cause any hassle or inconvenience for
other passengers.

Any problems with that !!!

Yes. What if your best isn't good enough? What if your child gets it into
his head that shrieking for a while might be jolly good fun, or crying, or
whatever. I've been on too many 8-hour flights where this happened.

And, frankly, all I ever hear from parents is, "oh, my child doiesn't do
that -- it's those OTHER parents." And then when their child melts down
it's always, "oh, he's just having a bad day -- this is most unusual."

Right.

it is a giant bus in the sky not a private club --
Old September 7th, 2004, 07:36 PM
jenn

wrote:

I don't understand why you'all hate kids so much.

I can sleep, even with a crying baby near me.

I don't hate kids at all. I just do not want them anywhere near me on
an airplane.

kris

I don't want religious evangelists, exhuberant jocks, or drunken
traveling salesmen near me either -- but life is like that sometimes.
Old September 7th, 2004, 08:25 PM
PTravel

"jenn" wrote in message

snip

it is a giant bus in the sky not a private club --

Sorry, but this is a non sequitur. It is neither a gian bus in the sky nor
a private club. It's an airplane -- a narrow metal tube in which people are
locked for 8 hours with no way out. "Boisterous jumping 1 year olds" are
incompatible with long flights.