Farangs describe the Disaster to BBC

Old December 29th, 2004, 04:51 PM
Yamamoto

"Alan Street" wrote in message
| In article , Yamamoto
| wrote:
|
| ? "Alfred Molon" wrote in message
| ? ...
| ? | In article , Yamamoto says...
| ? |
| ? | For instance, take the case of Phi-Phi Island. An island, barely a
few
| ? miles
| ? | of superficy, and almost flat with almost no roads to the higher
places.
| ? | Only if people had a shelter to hide into, they were able to protect
| ? | themselves from the disaster. But most people sleep in their boat or
| ? tuk-tuk
| ? | as they cannot afford more, and Thailand has no shelters to protect
them
| ? | from such disasters. In Thaivisa.com people describes how the sea
was
| ? taking
| ? | their children out of their arms.
| ? |
| ? | The time between the Earthquake and the tidal moves was too short to
| ? start
| ? | evacuate all this humans.
| ? |
| ? | Putting-up a system to prevent from such disasters without
setting-up at
| ? the
| ? | same time shelters and other protection systems, is like "putting
the
| ? | chickens in a fox hole to shelter".
| ? |
| ? | No need to set up shelters on Koh Phi Phi. The island has two hills at
| ? | least a couple of hundred metres high:
| ? | http://www.molon.de/galleries/Thaila.../img.php?pic=5
| ?
| ? True, walking up 2 hills would have been a solution.
| ? (Read further)
| ?
| ? | It is possible to walk onto these peaks (there is a path), so the
people
| ? | on Koh Phi Phi could have simply walked onto these places.
| ?
| ? Many of the tourist were older people who barely can walk a few meters
| ? uphill.
|

| I've been to Phi Phi a couple of times. At 41, I was one of the older
| tourists.

I was barely a month ago in koh Phi-Phi with my wife and my kid.

If somebody would have shout: "Run for your live, a tsunami is on the way.
You have less than 1 hour to get safe."
I would pay my bill at the restaurant where we were having breakfast,
started walking trough the small street filled with people with my kid on my
arm towards the mountains, I would'nt be here today.

Regards,

Carlos

Old December 30th, 2004, 09:16 AM
Ka Khiong Kwok

Thanks and you as well.

Regards,

Ka.

"Yamamoto" wrote in message
"Ka Khiong Kwok" wrote in message
u...
| Amen to that.
|
| Ka.

God bless you, and my your new-year be a better one as the one of the
victims of this disaster.

Happy New year,

Regards,

Carlos

| "Yamamoto" wrote in message
| "Ka Khiong Kwok" wrote in message
| | Amen really.
| |
| | Thing is though, it's a positive for the region that they never felt
| that
| | such facilities were needed in the first place.
|
| They have considered to put such facilties up, and have joined the
warning
| system in the Atlantic Ocean.
| But as the chance of being hit by a disaster like this was almost

none,
no
| warning system was setup for the coastline that has been hit now..
| Even when such a disaster would happpen, a warnng system would have

been
| of
| no help as the time between the eartquake and the tidal waves was too
| short
| for any organised help ( 1 hour before the waves hit Thailand)
|
| | My line of thinking runs that you only need such facilities - such

as
in
| | inner city areas where crime is a problem. Bit of an over
generalization
| | know but it's the point.
|
| Governments can only spend as much money as they have in their budget.
| The departments have to consider what the priorites are and on what

they
| will spend the budget.
| Spending the biggest part of the budget in setting up a warning system
and
| an evacuation plan in the event of a Tsunami which happens once every
100
| years, and let the people die of hunger seems not to be a good

decision
| IMHO.
| But your way of thinking is not wring at all.
|
| | Now I'm only speaking about Thailand here. My experience as a

tourist
| has
| | been pretty positive.
|
| I stay now for 4 years already in Thailand, and my experience is also
for
| 95% positive.
| Sure, I would like to have bigger walking streets, more respect for

the
| "weak user of the road", less polluting cars and motorcycles, and so

on.
| But there are othere more important things which made me decide to

stay
in
| Thailand.
|
| | This is really an act of God -
|
| It sure was an act of something that was higher than any human.
|
| | in my current line of work, you learn that
| | there's nothing you can do in these instances.
|
| For India and Sri Lanka there could maybe had done a little bit to

more
| save
| some lives.
| But this is only talking about things that already have been happened.
| No way to turn the clock back.
|
| | All you can do is damage
| | minimisation really.
|
| The damage is already been done by forces of nature.
| All that humans can do now, is relief the survivors from their grief

and
| put
| measures in action to prevent this from happening in the future.
| I am confident that everything possible will be done.
|
| Regards,
|
| Carlos
|
| | Regards,
| |
| | Ka.
| |
| | "Yamamoto" wrote in message
| | "Ka Khiong Kwok" wrote in message
| | | GIven the lack of medical facilities in those regions, I hate to
say
| it
| | but
| | | it might skyrocket.
| |
| | I didn't want to use the harsh words you use in your reply, but

it's
| the
| | truth.
| |
| | They are simple not equipped to handle such a disaster.
| |
| | Sunday morning, when the first casualties started to be braught

into
| the
| | hospital in Phuket, there was only 1 physician available who was
able
| | cope with such casualties according to posts in other NG's.
| |
| | On the other hand, given the amount of people being wounded or

dead
| and
| | the
| | equiment
| | they have to handle such disasters, I must say that they have done

| great
| | job.
| |
| | Regards,
| |
| | Carlos
| |
| |
| | | I'm hoping MSF turns up there soon - their needed in that region
| more
| | then
| | | anywhere else now.
| | |
| | | Regards,
| | |
| | | Ka.
| | |
| | | "Yamamoto" wrote in message
| | | "JosephP" wrote in message
| | | . ..

as
| the
| | | numbers

Indonesia,
| India,
| | and
| | | Sri
| | |
| | | The latest count at CNN at midnight today is more than 22000
| people
| | dead.
| | | But that amount is still going up.
| | | And how many people will die in the following days due to

their
| | injuries?
| | |
| | | Regards,
| | |
| | | Carlos
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | | |
| | | | news | | | |
> [...]
| | | |
| | have
| | | saved
| this
| | | |
| first
| | tidal
| | | wave

warning
| that
| | coordination
| | | can
| | | |

and
| Krabi.

one
| | occured
| tremendeous
| | | force
| | | |
| barely
| | few
| higher
| | | places.

| | protect

their
| boat
| | or

| | protect
| | | them
| sea
| | was
| | | |

too
| short
| | | start
| | | |
| | setting-up
| | | at
| "putting
| | the
| | | |
| | people
| | | who

their
| only
| | | meaning
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| |
| |
| |
| |

Old December 30th, 2004, 09:16 AM
Ka Khiong Kwok

Thanks and you as well.

Regards,

Ka.

"Yamamoto" wrote in message
"Ka Khiong Kwok" wrote in message
u...
| Amen to that.
|
| Ka.

God bless you, and my your new-year be a better one as the one of the
victims of this disaster.

Happy New year,

Regards,

Carlos

| "Yamamoto" wrote in message
| "Ka Khiong Kwok" wrote in message
| | Amen really.
| |
> [...]

| | This is really an act of God -
|
| It sure was an act of something that was higher than any human.
|
| | in my current line of work, you learn that
| | there's nothing you can do in these instances.
|
| For India and Sri Lanka there could maybe had done a little bit to

more
| save
| some lives.
| But this is only talking about things that already have been happened.
| No way to turn the clock back.
|
| | All you can do is damage
| | minimisation really.
|
| The damage is already been done by forces of nature.
| All that humans can do now, is relief the survivors from their grief

and
| put
| measures in action to prevent this from happening in the future.
| I am confident that everything possible will be done.

| |
| | Ka.
| |
| | "Yamamoto" wrote in message
| | "Ka Khiong Kwok" wrote in message
| | | GIven the lack of medical facilities in those regions, I hate to
say
| it
| | but
| | | it might skyrocket.
| |
| | I didn't want to use the harsh words you use in your reply, but

it's
| the
| | truth.
| |
| | They are simple not equipped to handle such a disaster.
| |
| | Sunday morning, when the first casualties started to be braught

into
| the
| | hospital in Phuket, there was only 1 physician available who was
able
| | cope with such casualties according to posts in other NG's.
| |
| | On the other hand, given the amount of people being wounded or

dead
| and
| | the
| | equiment
| | they have to handle such disasters, I must say that they have done

| great
| | job.
| |
| | Regards,
| |
| | Carlos
| |
| |
| | | I'm hoping MSF turns up there soon - their needed in that region
| more
| | then
| | | anywhere else now.
| | |
| | | Regards,
| | |
| | | Ka.
| | |
| | | "Yamamoto" wrote in message
| | | "JosephP" wrote in message
| | | . ..

as
| the
| | | numbers

Indonesia,
| India,
| | and
| | | Sri
| | |
| | | The latest count at CNN at midnight today is more than 22000
| people
| | dead.
| | | But that amount is still going up.
| | | And how many people will die in the following days due to

their
| | injuries?
| | |
| | | Regards,
| | |
| | | Carlos
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | | |
| | | | news | | | |
> [...]
| | | |
| | have
| | | saved
| this
| | | |
| first
| | tidal
| | | wave

warning
| that
| | coordination
| | | can
| | | |

and
| Krabi.

one
| | occured
| tremendeous
| | | force
| | | |
| barely
| | few
| higher
| | | places.

| | protect

their
| boat
| | or

| | protect
| | | them
| sea
| | was
| | | |

too
| short
| | | start
| | | |
| | setting-up
| | | at
| "putting
| | the
| | | |
| | people
| | | who

their
| only
| | | meaning
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| |
| |
| |
| |

Old December 30th, 2004, 09:36 AM
Fred Nurk

Yamamoto wrote:
"Ka Khiong Kwok" wrote in message
| Amen really.
|
| Thing is though, it's a positive for the region that they never felt that
| such facilities were needed in the first place.

They have considered to put such facilties up, and have joined the warning
system in the Atlantic Ocean.
But as the chance of being hit by a disaster like this was almost none, no
warning system was setup for the coastline that has been hit now..

So tha risk was nil. Now what is tha considered level of risk?

Even when such a disaster would happpen, a warnng system would have been of
no help as the time between the eartquake and the tidal waves was too short
for any organised help ( 1 hour before the waves hit Thailand)

In 1 hour I can walk 5 kilometres or more. If I run I can probly
double that! How far inland did tha wave in phuket go carlos?

| My line of thinking runs that you only need such facilities - such as in
| inner city areas where crime is a problem. Bit of an over generalization I
| know but it's the point.

Governments can only spend as much money as they have in their budget.
The departments have to consider what the priorites are and on what they
will spend the budget.
Spending the biggest part of the budget in setting up a warning system and
an evacuation plan in the event of a Tsunami which happens once every 100
years, and let the people die of hunger seems not to be a good decision
IMHO.

So now theres 80,00+ dead, people starvin an at risk of dyin of
disease as well as whole cities devastated an you think an early
warnin system is too expensive? Your a strange one carlos.

But your way of thinking is not wring at all.

| Now I'm only speaking about Thailand here. My experience as a tourist has
| been pretty positive.

I stay now for 4 years already in Thailand, and my experience is also for
95% positive.

Pity fer ya family its been 100% negative!

Sure, I would like to have bigger walking streets, more respect for the
"weak user of the road", less polluting cars and motorcycles, and so on.
But there are othere more important things which made me decide to stay in
Thailand.

Dont tell me, let me guess! Cheap short time sex with little
noodle girls! Thats it eh?

| This is really an act of God -

It sure was an act of something that was higher than any human.

| in my current line of work, you learn that
| there's nothing you can do in these instances.

For India and Sri Lanka there could maybe had done a little bit to more save
some lives.

Any lives saved by a early warnin system are a bonus

But this is only talking about things that already have been happened.
No way to turn the clock back.

On that point an only that point we agree.

| All you can do is damage
| minimisation really.

The damage is already been done by forces of nature.
All that humans can do now, is relief the survivors from their grief and put
measures in action to prevent this from happening in the future.
I am confident that everything possible will be done.

As long as they dont worry about tha expense eh carlos?

fnurk

snip
Old December 30th, 2004, 09:36 AM
Fred Nurk

Old December 30th, 2004, 05:25 PM
Alan Street

In article , Yamamoto
wrote:

€ | ?
€ | ? | It is possible to walk onto these peaks (there is a path), so the
€ people
€ | ? | on Koh Phi Phi could have simply walked onto these places.
€ | ?
€ | ? Many of the tourist were older people who barely can walk a few meters
€ | ? uphill.
€ |
€ |
€ | I've been to Phi Phi a couple of times. At 41, I was one of the older
€ | tourists.

€ I was barely a month ago in koh Phi-Phi with my wife and my kid.

€ If somebody would have shout: "Run for your live, a tsunami is on the way.
€ You have less than 1 hour to get safe."
€ I would pay my bill at the restaurant where we were having breakfast,
€ started walking trough the small street filled with people with my kid on my
€ arm towards the mountains, I would'nt be here today.

You stated that many of the tourists on Phi-Phi were older and couldn't
have walked up the hills. Now you're saying that you wouldn't be here
if you'd walked up those hills?

Once again, with clarity.

Alan

Old December 30th, 2004, 05:30 PM
Daniel

"Chabon" wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 21:42:54 +1100, "Viviane"
wrote:

Dear chabon (I think Mr or Ms ****stain sounds a little disrespectful)

Nah you can call him Boris - since he borrowed my name...

Plonk

Old December 30th, 2004, 06:36 PM
Yamamoto

"Fred Nurk" wrote in message
u...
| Yamamoto wrote:
| "Ka Khiong Kwok" wrote in message
| | Amen really.
| |
| | Thing is though, it's a positive for the region that they never felt
that
| | such facilities were needed in the first place.
|
| They have considered to put such facilties up, and have joined the
warning
| system in the Atlantic Ocean.
| But as the chance of being hit by a disaster like this was almost none,
no
| warning system was setup for the coastline that has been hit now..
|
| So tha risk was nil. Now what is tha considered level of risk?

Ask that question to the authorities who has decided about the warning
system, stupid asshole. Why should I be bugger on that.

| Even when such a disaster would happpen, a warnng system would have been
of
| no help as the time between the eartquake and the tidal waves was too
short
| for any organised help ( 1 hour before the waves hit Thailand)
|
| In 1 hour I can walk 5 kilometres or more. If I run I can probly
| double that! How far inland did tha wave in phuket go carlos?

Never considered to participate in the olympics?
You would for sure get a gold medal on runnig the 5 kilometres or more.
How old dod you say that you was?
85?

Stupid asshole.
Go playing with your senseless old dick.

| | My line of thinking runs that you only need such facilities - such as
in
| | inner city areas where crime is a problem. Bit of an over
generalization I
| | know but it's the point.
|
| Governments can only spend as much money as they have in their budget.
| The departments have to consider what the priorites are and on what they
| will spend the budget.
| Spending the biggest part of the budget in setting up a warning system
and
| an evacuation plan in the event of a Tsunami which happens once every
100
| years, and let the people die of hunger seems not to be a good decision
| IMHO.
|
| So now theres 80,00+ dead, people starvin an at risk of dyin of
| disease as well as whole cities devastated an you think an early
| warnin system is too expensive? Your a strange one carlos.

I don't think that.
That's the decision the goverments have taken in the past, stupid asshole.
Learn to read.

| But your way of thinking is not wring at all.
|
| | Now I'm only speaking about Thailand here. My experience as a tourist
has
| | been pretty positive.
|
| I stay now for 4 years already in Thailand, and my experience is also
for
| 95% positive.
|
| Pity fer ya family its been 100% negative!

Talking about your wife again who had to sell her body to the aboriginals to
feed your ******* son while you was busy at Nana?

| Sure, I would like to have bigger walking streets, more respect for the
| "weak user of the road", less polluting cars and motorcycles, and so on.
| But there are othere more important things which made me decide to stay
in
| Thailand.
|
| Dont tell me, let me guess! Cheap short time sex with little
| noodle girls! Thats it eh?

LYING ****BAG.
POST THE THREAD WHERE I WOULD HAVE SAID THAT.
YOU CAN'T
EASY, BECAUSE YOU ARE A LYING ****BAG

| | This is really an act of God -
|
| It sure was an act of something that was higher than any human.
|
| | in my current line of work, you learn that
| | there's nothing you can do in these instances.
|
| For India and Sri Lanka there could maybe had done a little bit to more
save
| some lives.
|
| Any lives saved by a early warnin system are a bonus

Yep, and if I could bring anybody back to live by exchangng his faith to
you, I would do it on the spot.

| But this is only talking about things that already have been happened.
| No way to turn the clock back.
|
| On that point an only that point we agree.

No kidding?
I am not agreeing with you on anything you say as you are a LYING ****BAG

| | All you can do is damage
| | minimisation really.
|
| The damage is already been done by forces of nature.
| All that humans can do now, is relief the survivors from their grief and
put
| measures in action to prevent this from happening in the future.
| I am confident that everything possible will be done.
|
| As long as they dont worry about tha expense eh carlos?

That's up to the goverment to decide, stupid asshole.

Not Cheers,

Carlos

Old December 30th, 2004, 06:36 PM
Yamamoto