Traveling to China with kids

Old January 7th, 2005, 07:31 PM
Alfred Molon

In article , PeterL says...

On a flight from HK to Bangkok I met a couple from HK who was filling up
the immigration forms. In the nationality field they put "Chinese", not
"Hong Kong", which was kind of interesting, because inhabitants of Hong
Kong have a different passport than mainland Chinese.

And how do you know they are not actually Chinese from the mainland?

I asked them about that.
--

Alfred Molon

http://www.molon.de/Galleries.htm - Photos from Myanmar, Brunei,
Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Nepal, Egypt, Germany, Austria,
Prague, Budapest and Portugal

Old January 7th, 2005, 07:33 PM
Spehro Pefhany

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 18:19:44 +0100, the renowned Alfred Molon
wrote:

In article , Bob Myers says...

tour. Of the two, just for a place to start, I would have to say
that Hong Kong would probably be of more interest to the
kids than Shanghai, unless the kids are unusually (for their
ages) interested in seeing places or items of cultural or historical
interest.

I would avoid Hong Kong, because it's basically a very crowded place
full of skyscrapers with a very high population density (people, people
everywhere. Not a place where to relax with kids. It's a very urban
area, with not so many attractions for children.

Ocean Park. They can go skating 8 floors up in the Dragon Centre
Skyrink. Take the Star Ferry. Go to the Peak. Poke around Lantau.
There's enough there for a few days.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Old January 7th, 2005, 08:33 PM
Amoeba

Inhabitants of Hong Kong have different passports, depending on where they
were born and when the passport is issued.

Now, two passports are commonly used here and the nationalities printed on
them are different. When we use BN(O) passports, the nationality is
"British National (Overseas)". When we use the SAR passport, our
nationality is "Chinese". Many of us have two passports.

It's like a mess sometimes because the customs would change the nationality
field from "Chinese" to "Hong Kong" when we go abroad.

"Alfred Molon" ???
???...

Old January 7th, 2005, 08:53 PM
Alfred Molon

In article , Amoeba says...
Now, two passports are commonly used here and the nationalities printed on
them are different. When we use BN(O) passports, the nationality is
"British National (Overseas)". When we use the SAR passport, our
nationality is "Chinese". Many of us have two passports.

With the BNO passport are you allowed to settle down in the EU and work?
I know that you are not allowed to do that in the UK, but what about the
EU ?