How can I defend myself against reclining airplane seats?

Old July 1st, 2005, 07:27 PM
Geoff Glave

The only real solution would be for airlines to install seats that
don't recline.

Another solution for narrow-bodies would be to divide the aircraft in half -
i.e. A-B-C would recline, D-E-F wouldn't. Then, like in 1980 when you'd
check in for a flight they'd ask "Smoking or non-smoking?" instead the
question in the 21st century would be "reclining or non-reclining?"

Cheers,
Geoff Glave
Vancouver, Canada

Old July 2nd, 2005, 12:59 AM
DaveM

On 1 Jul 2005 07:31:00 -0700, "Tchiowa" wrote:

Pooty Lizard wrote:
"Ablang" wrote in message
How can I defend myself against reclining airplane seats?

Eat some really foul garlic laden food right before flight.
If they push the seat back, breathe HEAVILY on them.

I don't believe the nonsensical responses, or even the initial post.

Guess what, folks? If you buy a ticket on an airplane and get assigned
a seat and that seat reclines, you have effectively paid for the space
"consumed" by the recline. The space in front of you that allows the
recline of the seat in front of you belongs (for the duration of the
trip) to the guy in front of you.

Makes you wonder why they put trays and tv screens in the seat backs if
they're not meant to be used, doesn't it?

DaveM
Old July 2nd, 2005, 07:33 AM
Qansett

"Duh_OZ" wrote in message
oups.com...
Ablang wrote:
How can I defend myself against reclining airplane seats?

Take a train?

From New York to London or maybe Rio De Janeiro.???? You'll have fun
with this one.

Unless you can luck out on some exit row seats, most of which offer
enough leg room, even with reclining seats, you are SOL.

Last trip out I was on SWA and the seat in front of me didn't recline
(I was in the exit row, window seat). Had some 8 or 9 YO kid that was
trying his darndest to get that seat to recline. Even his mommy tried
for him (like he needed the leg room). Finally told her it dind't
recline. Poor kid :0)

Old July 2nd, 2005, 07:54 AM
Tchiowa

Pooty Lizard wrote:
"Ablang" wrote in message
How can I defend myself against reclining airplane seats?

Eat some really foul garlic laden food right before flight.
If they push the seat back, breathe HEAVILY on them.

I don't believe the nonsensical responses, or even the initial post.

Guess what, folks? If you buy a ticket on an airplane and get assigned
a seat and that seat reclines, you have effectively paid for the space
"consumed" by the recline. The space in front of you that allows the
recline of the seat in front of you belongs (for the duration of the
trip) to the guy in front of you.

Makes you wonder why they put trays and tv screens in the seat backs if
they're not meant to be used, doesn't it?

???? The trays tables are generally hinged at the bottom so the recline
doesn't affect them. The TVs are also generally on a pivot so that they
can be adjusted for the recline. I've never seen one where the table
and tv screen couldn't be used because the person in front was
reclining.

Old July 2nd, 2005, 11:46 AM
Miguel Cruz

Tchiowa wrote:
???? The trays tables are generally hinged at the bottom so the recline
doesn't affect them. The TVs are also generally on a pivot so that they
can be adjusted for the recline. I've never seen one where the table
and tv screen couldn't be used because the person in front was
reclining.

You may not be that tall. The only airline where I can see the video screen
in coach class when the person in front of my has reclined is Malaysia
Airlines. That's mainly a function of their increased legroom; it makes it
possible for me to curl my back and hunch way down to get a good angle on
it.

miguel
Old July 2nd, 2005, 05:06 PM
SP Cook

Ablang wrote:
How can I defend myself against reclining airplane seats?

The person in front of you has paid for a seat that reclines and has
every right to recline at his own choice.

Don't like it?

Fly first class.

Don't fly.

Buy the seat in front of you.

Ask for an exit row.

Ask for the front row.

Read a book about crossing the Atlantic on a ship, c.1760, or the
western plains in a wagon, c. 1860, and get more realistic about
yourself.

Old July 2nd, 2005, 05:17 PM
Fly Guy

What's the matter with you people?

---- http://www.kneedefender.com/
Old July 2nd, 2005, 06:03 PM
SP Cook

Fly Guy wrote:
What's the matter with you people?

---- http://www.kneedefender.com/

Anybody caught with such a devise on a plane should be charge have it
confiscated and be placed on the TSA strip search list for life.

Old July 2nd, 2005, 06:20 PM
Tchiowa

SP Cook wrote:
Fly Guy wrote:
What's the matter with you people?

---- http://www.kneedefender.com/

Anybody caught with such a devise on a plane should be charge have it
confiscated and be placed on the TSA strip search list for life.

Besides being a dumb idea it is also a safety hazard. I've read of
situations where airlines barred passengers from future flights after
they tried to use this thing. I also understand that the FAA has banned
its use.

Old July 2nd, 2005, 08:12 PM
One Way Ticket

The person in front of you has paid for a seat that reclines and has
every right to recline at his own choice.

Don't like it?

Fly first class.

Don't fly. snip

I disagree. Consider that an airline web site reports that they have a
seat pitch of some specific length, say 32" or 34" (80 / 85 cm). Which
is reduced to ~11" (29cm) after the passenger seated in front launches
into commando recline mode. The passenger now acquires ~20" (50cm) of
additional seat pitch. At my expense.

Those that demand such room also take some perverse pleasure in
dropping their seat back into your face or lap at a time when it will
be the most inconvenient. And I have wondered if one is allowed to
claim extra air miles by knocking a laptop off the tray table of the
person seated behind them. With extra credit if their coffee also ends
up in their lap or spills onto the laptop.

Having averaged twenty-five flights a year for the past about thirty
years I can offer that the seat recline was not as issue when flights
were seldom filled to capacity. And if you decided you didn't want to
get up close and personal with the head of the person in front of you,
locating another seat was generally not an issue. Today, such is not
the case. It is considered a major victory if you take a flight and
the center seat in your row is unoccupied.

Airlines have not kept up with the change in passenger loads, and
passengers lacking manners are now exploiting their seat recline. From
my perspective, airlines can reduce their seat recline to a few inches
or tell their passengers that they do not have the right to drop their
seat back unless no one is seated directly behind them.