How can I defend myself against reclining airplane seats?

Old July 19th, 2005, 05:43 PM
Mister Wrong

" Seat reclines: regardless of circumstances you have the
right to drop yourself into the passenger behind you."

" Air vent adjusts: regardless of the circumstances you do
not have the right to use the vent if that would be a
discomfort to the passenger who now occupies your lap space. "

An excellent observation.

Old July 19th, 2005, 06:33 PM
Joseph Meehan

Mister Wrong wrote:
" Seat reclines: regardless of circumstances you have the
right to drop yourself into the passenger behind you."

" Air vent adjusts: regardless of the circumstances you do
not have the right to use the vent if that would be a
discomfort to the passenger who now occupies your lap space. "

An excellent observation.

Actually I would say you do have the right to use the vent to improve
your comfort, even if it decreases the other person's, as I recall the
suggestion was to use the air vent intentionally to cause discomfort to the
other passenger. I hope most people see the difference.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old July 19th, 2005, 08:32 PM
Fly Steerage

Actually I would say you do have the right to use the vent to improve
your comfort, even if it decreases the other person's, as I recall the
suggestion was to use the air vent intentionally to cause discomfort to
the other passenger.

I hope most people see the difference.

You people, what bunch of single-minded sanctimonious freaks you are.
Some clod will place his/her head inches from your face and you are
suppose to accept this as the cost of air travel. Just don't disrupt
the comfort of this reclining individual by directing an air vent in
their direction. Evidently this vent can be used to improve your
comfort, but not at the expense of the passenger now taking up
two-thirds of your forward space.

But if use of the vent causes the recline passenger to suddenly acquire
some manners, and they adjust their seat--thereby improving your
comfort--then this would seem to be acceptable.

I hope that you see the difference. Wait, there isn't any.

Deux doigts

Old July 21st, 2005, 08:42 PM
js

Fly Steerage wrote:
Actually I would say you do have the right to use the vent to improve
your comfort, even if it decreases the other person's, as I recall the
suggestion was to use the air vent intentionally to cause discomfort to
the other passenger.

I hope most people see the difference.

You people, what bunch of single-minded sanctimonious freaks you are.
Some clod will place his/her head inches from your face and you are
suppose to accept this as the cost of air travel.

Yes - just as you have to accept the food (or lack thereof), the seat
width, the crowded lounge areas, the delays...

And why not recline yourself? Then the distance is exactly the same as
two seats unreclined. If your concern is the proximity of someone's
head to yours, wouldn't this make sense?

Just don't disrupt
the comfort of this reclining individual by directing an air vent in
their direction.

By directing your vent at another, how does this improve your physical
comfort? Would it not be better if you directed the vent at yourself?

Evidently this vent can be used to improve your
comfort, but not at the expense of the passenger now taking up
two-thirds of your forward space.

How does turning the vent away from yourself improve your comfort? And
guess what, it's not 2/3rds and its not yours. The space is part of
the seat in front of yours and is shared at the discretion of the
person seated in front of you. What is it about this you don't get?

But if use of the vent causes the recline passenger to suddenly acquire
some manners,

Let's see if I get this right. You think by purposely bothering
someone is good manners but reclining is not?

and they adjust their seat--thereby improving your
comfort--then this would seem to be acceptable.

That's what mouths and language are for. If you want to ask for a
favor of a fellow passenger, the proper thing to do would be to ask.
Jamming knees into seat backs, turning vents on others to cause
discomfort, pouring water over people's heads are childish and
spiteful. Hardly good manners.

I hope that you see the difference. Wait, there isn't any.

Well, perhaps not for you. And that is sad.

js

Old July 21st, 2005, 09:45 PM
Mister Wrong

That's what mouths and language are for. If you want
to ask for a favor of a fellow passenger, the proper
thing to do would be to ask. Jamming knees into seat
backs, turning vents on others to cause discomfort,
pouring water over people's heads are childish and
spiteful. Hardly good manners.

Childish and spiteful? I consider them all appropriate responses to
those who launch their seat backs into your face. On flights within
the past five or six years I can recall only one instance where the
individual seated in front asked if his seat recline would interfere
with me. I was so amazed by this consideration I told him to go ahead.
And even with that he only reclined the seat several inches. One
person actually spoke to me before reclining their seat. One. I have
lost count of the number who launched their seat backs at what appeared
to be the best time to be the most disruptive.

Until the airlines get this issue resolved -- hopefully by limiting the
recline -- it will be every passenger for themselves.

Old July 21st, 2005, 10:04 PM
Jimbo Minn

SOLUTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No seats on an aircraft should be allowed to recline.....it's unsafe and
to say the least......RUDE!!!

Old July 21st, 2005, 10:06 PM
Jimbo Minn

It's coming soon.......NO SEATS will be reclinable....take that you
inconsiderate morons!!!!!1