Arriving in a city by car

Old March 17th, 2007, 08:18 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
ivk

Default Arriving in a city by car

I think many on this list would agree that the most unnerving aspect
of travelling by car in Europe is enetring a city of a decent size
(let's say population 30-50K), to explore it for a few hours or a
day, and then to drive out. Finding a parking, preferably close to the
center, is a nightma what I usually end up with is 2 hours parking
meters, so after being away for a short time I have to run back to
deposit additional coins.

Is there a better strategy ? Where could I find more information about
available parking garages ? I would probably prefer to find a long
term parking close to the city entrance, and then to use public
transportation if needed.

Old March 17th, 2007, 08:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erick T. Barkhuis

ivk:
I think many on this list

a newsgroup on Usenet

would agree that the most unnerving aspect of travelling by car
in Europe is enetring a city of a decent size (let's say
population 30-50K),

There are folks who do that every day, several times, and still feel
well.

what I usually end up with is 2 hours parking meters, so after being
away for a short time I have to run back to deposit additional coins.

....which, in several towns, is illegal.

Is there a better strategy ? Where could I find more information about
available parking garages ?

City map. Try the city's website.

I would probably prefer to find a long term parking close to the city
entrance, and then to use public transportation if needed.

That's the way to go. Usually, the bus/metro ticket is cheaper than the
parking fee.

Are you referring to one specific town?

Old March 17th, 2007, 08:59 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
irwell

On 17 Mar 2007 13:18:38 -0700, "ivk" wrote:

I think many on this list would agree that the most unnerving aspect
of travelling by car in Europe is enetring a city of a decent size
(let's say population 30-50K), to explore it for a few hours or a
day, and then to drive out. Finding a parking, preferably close to the
center, is a nightma what I usually end up with is 2 hours parking
meters, so after being away for a short time I have to run back to
deposit additional coins.

Is there a better strategy ? Where could I find more information about
available parking garages ? I would probably prefer to find a long
term parking close to the city entrance, and then to use public
transportation if needed.

In France try to arrive at lunch time, all the lemmings
are streaming home for lunch and a bunk-up.
Old March 17th, 2007, 10:02 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
FredBear

"ivk" wrote in message
ups.com...

Is there a better strategy ? Where could I find more information about
available parking garages ?

Buy a SatNav

Old March 17th, 2007, 10:30 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jens Arne Maennig[_2_]

ivk wrote:

Where could I find more information about available parking garages ?

In ans city maps or in your navigation system. For German speaking
countries (and if you understand some German) I would also recommend
BMW's service http://www.parkinfo.com/.

I would probably prefer to find a long term parking close to the city
entrance, and then to use public transportation if needed.

Why not follow the P+R signs?

Jens
Old March 18th, 2007, 01:38 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alan S[_1_]

wrote:

I think many on this list would agree that the most unnerving aspect
of travelling by car in Europe is enetring a city of a decent size
(let's say population 30-50K), to explore it for a few hours or a
day, and then to drive out. Finding a parking, preferably close to the
center, is a nightma what I usually end up with is 2 hours parking
meters, so after being away for a short time I have to run back to
deposit additional coins.

Is there a better strategy ? Where could I find more information about
available parking garages ? I would probably prefer to find a long
term parking close to the city entrance, and then to use public
transportation if needed.

I don't know a better strategy - mainly because every city,
not just every country, is different.

I used phrasebooks to learn to translate the basics on the
roadside parking signs in every country. Often we had to
find out where to buy the appropriate "rub out the numbers"
cards for the dashboard; other places only needed a written
time of arrival on the dashboard - no fee but a time limit,
others needed coins in the meter, many needed a ticket from
a central machine.

All would book you if you failed to heed the rules. Although
many local drivers ignored the rules, our red tourist
numberplates made us feel more exposed.

Even long-term can be fraught. We were told of a free
long-term at Avignon with a free bus across the river.
Sounded great, so we used it and had a leisurely afternoon
and evening in the old town. What they didn't tell us was
that the bus stopped running at 6pm (well, we needed an
after-dinner walk:-)

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Epidaurus
Old March 18th, 2007, 01:43 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
irwell

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 22:51:52 +0100, "Runge"
wrote:

Be more specific, Europe isn't a single country.

Wow! The great thought of the century!
Old March 18th, 2007, 06:15 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
JuanElorza[_3_]

ivk a écrit :
Is there a better strategy ? Where could I find more information about
available parking garages ? I would probably prefer to find a long
term parking close to the city entrance, and then to use public
transportation if needed.

Driving in cities requires a lot of concentration and can be dangerous
when you are tired (time lag) or lost in the flow of locals speeding
back home. The most difficult part when driving in foreign cities is to
know when you have reached your destination.

Generally you will easily find underground parking places where you can
leave your car for as long as you need. Yes they are not really
pleasant. But you will always find several in the city center where
restaurants, and tourist attraction are located. Some are not open 24/7
so check before if in doubt.

There is generally no need to choose a particular parking place before
hand. Because reaching a designed place is much more difficult than
finding any parking lot with vacant places near the town center.
The rules : keep cool, don't bother in case an agressive taxi driver
hoots, don't change your direction without a warning. Remember, with
your rented car, nobody knows you are a tourist.

If you still want to have a list of parking places in a specific city,
you cas use the yellow pages.
You can print the access map and the have the address to enter in a GPS
if you have one.

France
http://www.pagesjaunes.fr/ciweb2g-pa...s.do?langue=en

Other countries look for the corresponding country directory.
http://www.pagesjaunes.fr/pj.cgi?faire=monde