BA sat corpse in first class

Old March 19th, 2007, 03:19 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Jean O'Boyle

Default BA sat corpse in first class

"Padraig Breathnach" wrote in message
The thing that gets to me about the treatment of this story is the
apparent focus on the comfort of one passenger and the lack of
interest in the loss of a life and the understandable grief of the
bereaved. Even Trinder's claim about the body decaying and giving rise
to health and safety risks was quoted without being questioned or
challenged. Sure, it was disturbing for him, but perhaps if he had
seen how much less distressing his situation was than was that of the
bereaved family he would have kept his mouth shut rather than run off
to same pal in the media to show how selfish he is.

As BA apparently said, he should get over it.

Amen! Where is the compassion for the family?
Why are so many inconvenienced by and insensitive to someone else's tragedy
anymore?
Today's media thrives on this type of thing.

--Jean

Old March 19th, 2007, 06:36 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Runge

Duuh

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" a écrit dans le
message de news: ...

Rubba Luva wrote:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1530572.ece

From The Sunday Times

March 18, 2007
BA sat corpse in first class
Steven Swinford

Paul Trinder, who awoke to see the body at the end of his row, last
week described the journey as "deeply disturbing", and complained that
the airline dismissed his concerns by telling him to "get over it".

"It was a complete mess - they seemed to have no proper plans in place
to deal with the situation," said Trinder, 54, a businessman from
Brackley, Northamptonshire.

No "proper plans in place"? How often does ANY airline have a passenger
die in transit? (It really doesn't seem the sort of event for which
advance planning would be given priority!)

Old March 19th, 2007, 09:37 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Deeply Filled Mortician

Make credence recognised that on Sun, 18 Mar 2007 23:50:23 -0000,
"JohnT" has scripted:

"Deeply Filled Mortician" wrote
in message ...

I very much doubt that. Have you got a source?
--

Go to BA.com and price it yourself. I used out date 15 December, return date
15 January. Cost £7375.80. I await your apology.

From the BA website I got:

From Heathrow to Sydney:
Thu
20 Dec From £2384

From Sydney to Heathrow:
Sun
20 Jan From £2384

Total: £4768
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old March 19th, 2007, 09:46 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Deeply Filled Mortician

Make credence recognised that on Mon, 19 Mar 2007 14:14:12 +1100,
"glenn P" has scripted:

What a ****. You have either never flown 1/2nd, or have no idea at all.

You're binned!

Man, there are some serious dickheads in that r.t.a. group.
--
---
Old March 19th, 2007, 09:47 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
RAK

"Deeply Filled Mortician" wrote
in message ...
Make credence recognised that on Sun, 18 Mar 2007 23:50:23 -0000,
"JohnT" has scripted:

"Deeply Filled Mortician" wrote
in message ...

I very much doubt that. Have you got a source?
--

Go to BA.com and price it yourself. I used out date 15 December, return
date
15 January. Cost £7375.80. I await your apology.

From the BA website I got:

From Heathrow to Sydney:
Thu
20 Dec From £2384

From Sydney to Heathrow:
Sun
20 Jan From £2384

Total: £4768
--

The £7000 rtn fare did not surprise me at all.

I just tried those exact dates (20/12/07 & 20/01/08) on the BA site and got
£3688 each way in first and £2964 each way in Business. In both cases I
clicked the Flexible button (flexible on changing dates I assume).

Selecting Cheapest (the default) instead of Flexible gave £1705 e/w in
Business and £2384 e/w in 1st, the same as you got.

So everyone seems to be right in their own way.

Old March 19th, 2007, 09:58 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
RAK

Rubba Luva wrote:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1530572.ece

From The Sunday Times

March 18, 2007
BA sat corpse in first class
Steven Swinford

Paul Trinder, who awoke to see the body at the end of his row, last
week described the journey as "deeply disturbing", and complained that
the airline dismissed his concerns by telling him to "get over it".

"It was a complete mess - they seemed to have no proper plans in place
to deal with the situation," said Trinder, 54, a businessman from
Brackley, Northamptonshire.

No "proper plans in place"? How often does ANY airline have a passenger
die in transit? (It really doesn't seem the sort of event for which
advance planning would be given priority!)

I don't think it is so rare. There are so many thousands of long haul
flights per day, some people stressed, cramped seating, poor circulation,
etc.
A friend used to do Hadj flights from Indonesia to Saudi and said deaths on
the plane were quite common (many passenger being very old and probably
often stressed). She said they usually tried to pretend the body was just
asleep until they got back to Jakarta, as a death could mean too much
paperwork and delays in Saudi.
I assume that the crew would try to keep these events as quiet as possible,
but this BA case seems to show the opposite, moving the unfortunate lady
from economy through business up to 1st.. I wonder why they didn't use one
of the crew sleeping cubicles (in the back on a 747 I think)

I have been on at least one plane with a dead guy - but he died just before
landing (suicide!) so storing the body wasn't an issue.

Old March 19th, 2007, 10:00 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Newby

"Padraig Breathnach" wrote in message
"Newby" wrote:

Why didn't they keep the body in Coach and move some live passengers into
First Class to make the needed space?

Why should they? Because people in the back of the plane paid less
than £3000 for their tickets?

[snipped]

No, it keeps the dead body in the seat that it paid for. What is the
rationale for moving it to first class instead of moving living passengers
to first class?

Old March 19th, 2007, 10:08 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
JohnT

"Deeply Filled Mortician" wrote
in message ...
Make credence recognised that on Sun, 18 Mar 2007 23:50:23 -0000,
"JohnT" has scripted:

"Deeply Filled Mortician" wrote
in message ...

I very much doubt that. Have you got a source?
--

Go to BA.com and price it yourself. I used out date 15 December, return
date
15 January. Cost £7375.80. I await your apology.

From the BA website I got:

From Heathrow to Sydney:
Thu
20 Dec From £2384

From Sydney to Heathrow:
Sun
20 Jan From £2384

Total: £4768
--

FROM £2384 one way. That is the cheap end of the price range.

JohnT

Old March 19th, 2007, 11:01 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Padraig Breathnach

"Newby" wrote:

"Padraig Breathnach" wrote in message
.. .
"Newby" wrote:

Why didn't they keep the body in Coach and move some live passengers into
First Class to make the needed space?

Why should they? Because people in the back of the plane paid less
than £3000 for their tickets?

[snipped]

No, it keeps the dead body in the seat that it paid for. What is the
rationale for moving it to first class instead of moving living passengers
to first class?

What is the rationale for moving living passengers rather than a dead
body? Should not those living passengers be kept in the seats that
they paid for?

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED