Carnival Fantasy - New Orleans Mississippi River oil spill update

Old August 7th, 2008, 07:45 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Andy P. Jung[_2_]

Default Carnival Fantasy - New Orleans Mississippi River oil spill update

All cruises on Carnival Fantasy originally departing from New Orleans thru
September 1 have been diverted to Mobile, AL.
http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/crui...s_Update2.aspx

It will then go in for its scheduled drydock and Evolutions of Fun upgrade.
It will finally return to New Orleans for the October 4 cruise.

--
Andy P. Jung
Metairie, Louisiana U.S.A.

To reply via e-mail, please visit my web site.

Old August 7th, 2008, 08:45 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Andy P. Jung[_2_]

"Andy P. Jung" @. wrote in message
All cruises on Carnival Fantasy originally departing from New Orleans thru
September 1 have been diverted to Mobile, AL.
http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/crui...s_Update2.aspx

It will then go in for its scheduled drydock and Evolutions of Fun
upgrade. It will finally return to New Orleans for the October 4 cruise.

Also, if anyone wants to know the depth of the Mississippi River at the
Crescent City Connection bridge support pier, here's a pdf illustration from
The-Times Picayune in New Orleans.
http://blog.nola.com/news_impact/200...ngTheBarge.pdf

Old August 8th, 2008, 08:46 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
chatty cathy

Default Carnival Fantasy - New Orleans Mississippi River oil spillYIKES

can someone tell me how much further this is to go ? i am driving to new
orleans and have no ideal where this other cruise port is?
will the CARNIVAL cruise line be notifying us about this change??
im suppose to leave aug.28th for my elvis cruise..[out of new
orleans]
chatty cathy

Old August 8th, 2008, 03:16 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
D Ball[_2_]

On Aug 8, 2:46 am, (chatty cathy) wrote:
can someone tell me how much further this is to go ? i am driving to new
orleans and have no ideal where this other cruise port is?
will the CARNIVAL cruise line be notifying us about this change??
im suppose to leave aug.28th for my elvis cruise..[out of new
orleans]
chatty cathy

Hi, Chatty Cathy,

Your Elvis cruise sounds like a blast! It will be fun reading your
report when you return.

What additional information are you looking for? Andy provided the
link to the Carnival website notice that sets out the change to the
Mobile cruise terminal for upcoming cruises through September 1.
Although your cruise departing on the 28th is not listed, I think that
is only because it is a charter. I Googled and found the Elvis cruise
website, which has NOT been updated to reflect the change to Mobile:
http://www.theelviscruise.com/Destin...5/Default.aspx

I Googled "Mobile cruise terminal" and got the port site on the first
hit: http://www.shipmobile.com/ It will tell you the exact location
and parking information. Where are you driving from? You can re-map
your driving directions with any online mapping application.

Yes, you should receive some sort of notice from Carnival soon. IMO
you should have already received something from your TA and/or the
Elvis cruise charter folks. But I can't imagine that the notice will
provide much more information than Carnival has already published on
its website. Your reference to plans to drive to the port suggests you
will not be impacted by the change except to the extent of your
personal road trip plans.

Because several cruises before you will operate out of Mobile, I'd
suggest you follow the discussions over at Cruise Critic to learn
updated logistical tips about the Fantasy's temporary use of the
Mobile cruise terminal. Also, note that the Carnival Holiday has been
using Mobile for a while, so you can also search for info that way. A
good forum to check would be the Gulf Coast ports board at
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=414 Did you sign up
for the roll call for your cruise? Folks are likely talking about the
switch there.

It's almost here. Have fun!

Diana Ball
Austin, TX
Old August 8th, 2008, 04:12 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Becca[_2_]

Andy P. Jung wrote:

Also, if anyone wants to know the depth of the Mississippi River at the
Crescent City Connection bridge support pier, here's a pdf illustration
from The-Times Picayune in New Orleans.
http://blog.nola.com/news_impact/200...ngTheBarge.pdf

Thanks for the link, Andy.

Becca

Old August 8th, 2008, 08:54 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Andy P. Jung[_2_]

"Becca" wrote in message
Andy P. Jung wrote:

Also, if anyone wants to know the depth of the Mississippi River at the
Crescent City Connection bridge support pier, here's a pdf illustration
from The Times-Picayune in New Orleans.
http://blog.nola.com/news_impact/200...ngTheBarge.pdf

Thanks for the link, Andy.

Becca

No problem, I've always wanted to know that little tidbit of the 80 ft
depth.
The deepest point of the Mississippi River is just downriver at Algiers
point across from the French Quarter where the river curves causing it to be
over 200 feet deep.

Old August 9th, 2008, 02:00 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Becca[_2_]

Andy P. Jung wrote:

http://blog.nola.com/news_impact/200...ngTheBarge.pdf

Thanks for the link, Andy.

Becca

No problem, I've always wanted to know that little tidbit of the 80 ft
depth.
The deepest point of the Mississippi River is just downriver at Algiers
point across from the French Quarter where the river curves causing it
to be over 200 feet deep.

Wow, that is awfully deep for a river. My parents lived in New Orleans,
that is where they were married. Now, she lives near me, I am in
Shreveport.

When is the next Chee-Weez cruise? We need cruise on the same ship,
sometime, Andy.

Becca

Old August 11th, 2008, 08:54 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Andy P. Jung[_2_]

"Becca" wrote in message
Andy P. Jung wrote:

http://blog.nola.com/news_impact/200...ngTheBarge.pdf

Thanks for the link, Andy.

Becca

No problem, I've always wanted to know that little tidbit of the 80 ft
depth.
The deepest point of the Mississippi River is just downriver at Algiers
point across from the French Quarter where the river curves causing it to
be over 200 feet deep.

Wow, that is awfully deep for a river. My parents lived in New Orleans,
that is where they were married. Now, she lives near me, I am in
Shreveport.

When is the next Chee-Weez cruise? We need cruise on the same ship,
sometime, Andy.

Becca

I'm not certain yet. I have a feeling that they will not cruise again next
year probably due to a spat with their travel/event booking agent (half of
the band didn't get suites) during last year's cruise.

Old August 12th, 2008, 05:20 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Becca[_2_]

Andy P. Jung wrote:

Wow, that is awfully deep for a river. My parents lived in New
Orleans, that is where they were married. Now, she lives near me, I
am in Shreveport.

When is the next Chee-Weez cruise? We need cruise on the same ship,
sometime, Andy.

Becca

I'm not certain yet. I have a feeling that they will not cruise again
next year probably due to a spat with their travel/event booking agent
(half of the band didn't get suites) during last year's cruise.

It could be the cruise line's fault or it could the booking agent. I
hope they can work out their differences.

Becca