Hungarian currency

Old March 19th, 2007, 07:42 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
bb

Default Hungarian currency

We are shortly travelling to Hungary and I am a little confused as to
what the currency is. The POst Office - where we are getting travel
money - tells us it's forint. But Hotel, car hire and tourist tax are
being quoted in Euros... Does anyone know the up-to-date information?
(Hungarian tourist site quoted public holiday dates from 2005, so I am
not sure how up-to-date their info was!!!!!) Thanks!

Old March 19th, 2007, 08:31 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tile

"bb" ha scritto nel messaggio
oups.com...
We are shortly travelling to Hungary and I am a little confused as to
what the currency is. The POst Office - where we are getting travel
money - tells us it's forint. But Hotel, car hire and tourist tax are
being quoted in Euros... Does anyone know the up-to-date information?
(Hungarian tourist site quoted public holiday dates from 2005, so I am
not sure how up-to-date their info was!!!!!) Thanks!

the official currency is Hungarian forint ( HUF)
but very likely they quote prices in Eur to make prices clear to most
tourists

Old March 19th, 2007, 08:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Otter

In oups.com,
bb typed:
We are shortly travelling to Hungary and I am a little confused as to
what the currency is. The POst Office - where we are getting travel
money - tells us it's forint. But Hotel, car hire and tourist tax are
being quoted in Euros... Does anyone know the up-to-date information?
(Hungarian tourist site quoted public holiday dates from 2005, so I am
not sure how up-to-date their info was!!!!!) Thanks!

Hungary has its own currency, the forint, but it is quite common for hotels,
etc, to advertise prices in euros, pounds and even the $US, to save their
potential customers the trouble of currency conversion in their heads. Other
countries in Europe still using their own currency do similar things. Even
the UK.

Old March 19th, 2007, 08:38 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Lennart Petersen

"bb" skrev i meddelandet
oups.com...
We are shortly travelling to Hungary and I am a little confused as to
what the currency is. The POst Office - where we are getting travel
money - tells us it's forint. But Hotel, car hire and tourist tax are
being quoted in Euros... Does anyone know the up-to-date information?
(Hungarian tourist site quoted public holiday dates from 2005, so I am
not sure how up-to-date their info was!!!!!) Thanks!

Forint is still the currency and you'll need forints for the daily need.
It's not unusual that hotel and such charges are advertised for convenience
in Euro or U.S dollar. Usually,but not always, the final charge is in
local currency and then converted to your currency when paying the card bill
.. Be sure when you're signing the bill which currency is used for the
charge.

Old March 19th, 2007, 09:38 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
PeterL

On Mar 19, 12:42 pm, "bb" wrote:
We are shortly travelling to Hungary and I am a little confused as to
what the currency is. The POst Office - where we are getting travel
money - tells us it's forint. But Hotel, car hire and tourist tax are
being quoted in Euros... Does anyone know the up-to-date information?
(Hungarian tourist site quoted public holiday dates from 2005, so I am
not sure how up-to-date their info was!!!!!) Thanks!

You'll pay through the nose getting your currency from your local post
office. Best to use your bank cash card when you get there.

Old March 19th, 2007, 10:11 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alan S[_1_]

On 19 Mar 2007 12:42:37 -0700, "bb"
wrote:

We are shortly travelling to Hungary and I am a little confused as to
what the currency is. The POst Office - where we are getting travel
money - tells us it's forint. But Hotel, car hire and tourist tax are
being quoted in Euros... Does anyone know the up-to-date information?
(Hungarian tourist site quoted public holiday dates from 2005, so I am
not sure how up-to-date their info was!!!!!) Thanks!

Hotels and larger shops will accept both, or at least they
did in mid 2006. I found that I was far better off using
forints. Small traders and local transit accepted them,
change was easy, and I wasn't ripped off for exchange rates.

Why use the "Post Office"? You'll get a far better exchange
rate by using an ATM on arrival. As I entered each country
(Slovenia, Hungary, Slovakia, Czech, Poland - all with
unique currencies at that time ) my first action was to find
an ATM and withdraw the equivalent of US$200 in local
currency in the lowest possible denominations. Next, I'd
find a shop where I could break one of those notes down to
smaller denominations and change by buying something
inexpensive.

Small notes and change are essential if you're going to use
public transport for example. From memory, bus from my hotel
into town was 140ft, equivalent to eur 0.57.

If I found that I needed more cash later, just another trip
to the ATM. Don't withdraw too much - you'll lose on the
rate as you turn it back into your own currency; better to
buy some duty-free with the remnants.
Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Epidaurus
Old March 19th, 2007, 11:56 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Paul Dwerryhouse

"bb" writes:

We are shortly travelling to Hungary and I am a little confused as to
what the currency is. The POst Office - where we are getting travel
money - tells us it's forint. But Hotel, car hire and tourist tax are
being quoted in Euros... Does anyone know the up-to-date information?

Yes, the currency is still the forint.

Cheers,

Paul.

--
Paul Dwerryhouse | PGP Key ID: 0x6B91B584
Paul's travel photos:
Old March 20th, 2007, 08:53 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
UC

bb wrote:
We are shortly travelling to Hungary and I am a little confused as to
what the currency is. The POst Office - where we are getting travel
money - tells us it's forint. But Hotel, car hire and tourist tax are
being quoted in Euros... Does anyone know the up-to-date information?
(Hungarian tourist site quoted public holiday dates from 2005, so I am
not sure how up-to-date their info was!!!!!) Thanks!

You may pay much more if you choose to use your currency instead of
forints in hotels and restaurants.

ciao, U.
Old March 21st, 2007, 12:32 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
bb

On Mar 19, 7:42 pm, "bb" wrote:
We are shortly travelling to Hungary ...

Thank you so much to all who replied - I am grateful for your hints
and tips. Next time I won't be going to the post office then.
Good advice - thanks. bb