Never a dull moment for APT touring staff

Old July 9th, 2004, 04:55 AM
Tony Bailey

Default Never a dull moment for APT touring staff

I'd like to think that this is original - but I have a feeling that I've
seen it all before-

Never a dull moment for Australian Pacific Touring staff
Friday, 9 July 2004

Travellers from Europe and the US have some strange ideas when they
contemplate travelling "Down Under". Some have blamed mysterious ailments or
lethargy on the fact that they're 'upside down,' while others have asked a
variety of bizarre questions before embarking on their trip to Australia.

Apart from taking a booking for a Mr Loveless and Ms Hooker travelling
together, APT staff have been bemused by grumbles by a traveller over the
receipt of the itinerary for a camping tour but no tent! The confused APT
staffer promptly advised the disgruntled traveller that the tent would be
provided during the tour.

Below are a few more gems that have caused amusement in the APT
offices:

· "Can I pick up my motor home in Auckland and drop it off in Darwin?"

· "Hi, regarding the SLASHED SEAT SALE, what actual conditions are the
seats in?"

· "Can I have an ocean view room in Ayers Rock resort?"

· "Where can I see the hobbits in NZ?"

· "Do they have a bridge so we can drive out to the Great Barrier
Reef?"

· "We're prone to sea-sickness ... how much is parking on the reef?"

· "Hi, I'd like a tour to New Zealand from Australia, but I don't want
to fly - can the coach depart from Australia?"

· "Can you please take me around the date line - rather than over it,
as it makes it too confusing to calculate my arrival date"

· "I assume that I will need a passport to travel to Tasmania

--
Tony Bailey
Mercury Travel Books

Old July 9th, 2004, 12:44 PM
Raffi Balmanoukian

in article , Tony Bailey at
wrote on 7/9/04 12:55 AM:

· "I assume that I will need a passport to travel to Tasmania

Well, Hobart airport *is* at least nominally international, Tony (then
again, so is Broome!)